Jets “loved” Henry Ruggs, felt they couldn’t pass of Becton

Rhg1084

We were very happy to hire JD and obviously associated him with the Eagles Super Bowl Victory in 2018.

On Sirius NFL radio today, when discussing the Eagles struggles this year, the recent poor drafts were blamed. 

So we need to see a bit more from JD before we know what we have.  It seems like the great teams are able to draft very good players in rounds 3 and 4 in particular.   The Jets 2020 rounds 3,4 and 5 are looking a bit dubious at the moment.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Imagine if Douglas took Ruggs instead of Becton? We’d be talking about firing him this year along with Gase. Also, what’s up with Ruggs? Is he the next John Ross? Or just getting acclamated to the league 

Wait, we're playing the Raiders and Ruggs on Sunday and when asked Gase said we loved Ruggs?

You dont say Rich!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

We were very happy to hire JD and obviously associated him with the Eagles Super Bowl Victory in 2018.

On Sirius NFL radio today, when discussing the Eagles struggles this year, the recent poor drafts were blamed. 

So we need to see a bit more from JD before we know what we have.  It seems like the great teams are able to draft very good players in rounds 3 and 4 in particular.   The Jets 2020 rounds 3,4 and 5 are looking a bit dubious at the moment.

A S who's playing now and not hurting the team and a backup QB? Two others who havent seen the filed = dubious?  In less than 1 season?  Those spots are incomplete

Hitting at LT and WR with the 1st 2 picks, Bryce Hall and Mann and you have the makings of a really good draft, even if Zuninga and Clarke arent huge contributors.  

16 hours ago, varjet said:

Bryce Hall has been a bright spot since getting on the Field.

Perine looks pretty good for a 4th round “jack of all trades, master of none” RB too.  

Cameron Clark has been getting praise behind the scenes, but not playing time.  I’d like to see that change down the stretch, especially with Alex Lewis being out going forward.

Ashtyn Davis has been up and down, but I think he’ll figure it out.

Zuniga is another guy that should be getting reps for evaluation, but this is what happens when you have coaches trying to save their jobs or audition for new ones.  Gregg isn’t going to play him over Jordan Jenkins.  

If James Morgan becomes a good backup, it’s a good pick.  I firmly believe that you take a QB in every single draft, especially if you don’t have one cemented in place.

All in all, I wouldn’t call it dubious.  Incomplete? Sure.  There’s some solid potential there with these guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:59 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Imagine if some other team took Mims in the spots where we traded down?  That would've been a killer.

Yeah I was pissed when JD pulled that $hit.  I couldn't believe it.  Then when Mims was still there at 59 AND WE TOOK HIM I damn near lost my mind. 

This is what having a GM that is paying close attention to what other team's needs and tendencies are looks like. The odds were very good that one of Mims, Claypool, Van Jefferson or Bryan Edwards were going to be there 11 picks later.  And 2 of them were. IMO the best one was in Mims.  Knowing what the other teams in those spots are likely to do with the players available is second level stuff. We have never had a GM that looked at and understood more than their own board with any real detail since Steinberg. Maybe Parcells, but I'm not so sure. 

Getting the 3 picks from Seattle was a strong bet to still be able to get a big bodied WR with strong skills. That was a master stroke by our GM. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1