Monday Night Football to move? CBS/FOX to split Sunday night

MiamiJet

Not set in stone, yet, but I think we know the NFL is not really happy with the ratings for MNF in recent years.

The talk about moving the games fromABC to ESPN are a real possibility, as well as moving the Sunday night games from ESPN to CBS and FOX.

Enough of me, here read for yourself.

CBS, Fox may split NFL Sunday nights in 2006

Wed Mar 23, 6:14 AM ET Sports - USATODAY.com

By Rudy Martzke, USA TODAY

If Monday Night Football moves to ESPN from ABC in the new NFL TV contracts starting in 2006, the league is considering splitting the Sunday night package between CBS and Fox, according to two sports TV executives, one of whom is involved in the negotiations.

CBS would get the first half of the season and Fox the second half, after its Major League Baseball playoff coverage is done, the executives said Tuesday. The networks would pay about a combined $600 million a year for the package, the same amount ESPN is paying now. CBS would pay slightly less than Fox because ratings are higher later in the season.

Officials of CBS and Fox declined comment. At the league's annual meetings in Hawaii, NFL senior vice president Joe Browne said, "We're a little remote here, but those rumors have not reached the 50th state yet."

As for Monday Night Football, Denver Broncos (news) owner Pat Bowlen, chairman of the TV committee, said Sunday, "The reason why we're looking to move Monday Night Football (from ABC) is that there are feelings that we'll still be able to reach the audience. The world has changed since 1970." ABC vice president Mark Mandel said negotiations are ongoing for ESPN and ABC, both of which are owned by the Disney Co.

Is there any way they ax or exile Theismann(sp?)and Paul McGuire? People make Stuart Scott out to be terrible, but listening to McGuire is like having someone rake your eyes with a cheese grater and splash them with bleach.

They secretly want to move it to ESPN2 and reap all that cable-cash. They're full of sh*t, btw. If they wanted to increase ratings, they should schedule the games in 4-week blocks so you don't end up with garbage games the entire second half of the season. IMO, 4 weeks is enough time to work out the logistics and get a game moved from Sunday afternoon to Monday night.

They secretly want to move it to ESPN2 and reap all that cable-cash. They're full of Sh#t, btw. If they wanted to increase ratings, they should schedule the games in 4-week blocks so you don't end up with garbage games the entire second half of the season. IMO, 4 weeks is enough time to work out the logistics and get a game moved from Sunday afternoon to Monday night.

Great point TS.

Btw, I did read somewhere that MNF and ESPN wanted greater latitude with the games, so that they could change them if possible. Supposedly, Tagliabue was considering it...

MJ, there is just NO reason I can see why they can't do it. AND, IMO, if they started the games at 8:30 instead of kicking off at 9:25 they'd get a higher number on the back ends of games. I'll bet that at least half the audience dumps the game by 11:30 to go to sleep. Starting it at 9 is asinine too. Who wants to watch Niners-Rams go into the 4th quarter at midnight? It's a joke.

Who wants watch the Niners-Rams go into the fourth quarter at 2 PM?

:mrgreen::D

True.

I think the network benefitted in the past by using the NFL as a great lead in. Hell, when I was younger, I love watching That's Incredible before the games started. :D

Now, the ratings have dipped each year, despite bringing in Boomer, Dennis Miller and Madden.

It's time for a change. Allow the Fox/CBS and ESPN the flexibility to change the games if the teams suck, and please, please get rid of McGuire.

I'd rather things be kept the way they are

next year is going to be great because I'll be in college, so I can stay up and watch all of MNF without worrying about getting up at 6 the next morning

I doubt they give the Giants any MNF games.

They secretly want to move it to ESPN2 and reap all that cable-cash. They're full of Sh#t, btw. If they wanted to increase ratings, they should schedule the games in 4-week blocks so you don't end up with garbage games the entire second half of the season. IMO, 4 weeks is enough time to work out the logistics and get a game moved from Sunday afternoon to Monday night.

Tom, there really is more to it. What the NFL really wants is the ability to be on the air THURSDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY - MONDAY after November 1st every year.

That would open the door for NBC to be the 4th PRIME TIME PLAYER on BROADCAST by taking over MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL. ABC Networks would still carry the NFL Sunday Night games on ESPN while moving alternate programming to ABC. Plus, they could also simalcast the games to the home area - just like they've been doing on alternate local broadcasting stations - while still making more money in the process.

Trust me, it's become a time in TV history for MNF to move away from ABC & still not cost the network anything!

Plus, There has been talks about putting a game of the week on the NFL Channel. More than likely, that would be the Saturday night games prior to November 1st. Just so it would not conflict with the NCAA.

Who wants watch the Niners-Rams go into the fourth quarter at 2 PM?

West coast baybee.

Greatest for watching sports on TV.

5:30 Sunday night games

6:00 MNF

Pregame Sunday at 8:00 AM

Love it!!!

But of course all these times are set to entertain the masses in the Eastern time zone.

Works for me.

:D

d

I'd rather things be kept the way they are

next year is going to be great because I'll be in college, so I can stay up and watch all of MNF without worrying about getting up at 6 the next morning

DO like i did....Roll in at 8:15 after a mean wake & bake like Spikoloi!

I'm all for dropping ABC's football coverage from the face of the Earth. Their coverage sucks, their announcers and sideline crews are a joke.

But replacing ABC with ESPN is like replacing Hitler with Mussolini. They both suck.

I dont see why people always bash ABCs coverage, they always have hot chicks as sideline reporters and Madden isnt as bad as Theismen or Chris Collinsworth

ABC just sucks... they try and make the football game like MTV, when the game is an event that doesn't really need to be sold. Everyone knows about it, and everyone knows when it's on. ABC sucks, and that's pretty much it. There's no denying it. Madden is past his prime. Al Michaels adds nothing. Hot chicks are nice, but if they don't add anything to the game, then they're just taking away from it.

I dont see why people always bash ABCs coverage, they always have hot chicks as sideline reporters and Madden isnt as bad as Theismen or Chris Collinsworth

I don't think the coverage is the problem. At least, it's not with me. The actual games are the problem.

Think about this. What was the last good MNF game you watched? I guarantee you it takes awhile for you to come up with one.

The games also come on at 9 on the East coast, which, to those with children, poses a problem. If the NFL allows the network more flexibility in broadcasting games, their ratings would go up. Many of the games are simply bad.

Archived