Classy, Bougey, Savage offseason

Re-Sign:

Marcus Maye 

Free Agency:

Ahkello Witherspoon CB 49ers

Jaquiski Tartt SS 49ers

Kendrick Bourne WR 49ers

Joe Thuney G Patriots

Marlon Mack RB Colts (pending a medical, of course, but this dude might be a bargain considering)

Curtis Samuel WR Panthers

Gerald Everett TE Rams 

Draft:

Did a trade down with Lions here - not sure they'd be the team I see trading up but yea. 

My goal this draft, if I were JD, would be to trade down but remain in the top 10.

1400569771_ScreenShot2021-01-15at10_04_34AM.thumb.png.d85476d3e57861d1de509ea89b3b2270.png

I tried to look for players that fit the Shanny offense and the 4-3 zone defense. I do think it's a bit ridiculous to take two LB's back to back 66 & 71 but I like both of those players. Admittedly I probably could've done better there. And we probably don't need Togiai, but I figured he's good value there and considering how many picks we have and the way those 49er defenses were stocked on the defensive line, I pulled the trigger. 

This is the deal I was offered, and took:

1953518896_ScreenShot2021-01-15at10_26_11AM.png.0d80c8c24a306828259a30fa6f705a2a.png

All things considered, though, I think this is somewhat reasonable in that we're likely not getting one of those tier 1 receivers to come here in free agency, but that doesn't mean we have to go dollar store shopping like last year either.

Though I could see JD not valuing receiver in the top 10 and instead taking a corner, edge player or offensive tackle. 

Anyway, first crack at one this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

Very plausible scenario, good job. Mayfield is an absolute stud at tackle and I love the two "tough guys" at 34 and 39. My only real criticism is Chase at the top, no way I take him over Waddle or Smith.  

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

Should be interesting to see how all three of those WR's test. From a production standpoint, Smith in 2020 and Chase in 2019 were nothing short of incredible, but Waddle might be the best overall athlete?

And I don't know enough about the Shanahan offense to understand which of those three are the best fit. But I do think we need a dynamic pass catching weapon, and we should target that early. Pitts could be in play as well. 

I know you addressed it, but if I'm looking DL I'm trying to find EDGE over DT. Might be good value, but we just don't need it at that point (no problem adding depth/development later on with a lot of picks). Not against RT at 23, but I think you can find some solid ones in rounds 3-5. I can't help but love the value of Vrabel or Lucas. Maybe I'm wrong? I have no problem looking for OLBs switching over to a 4-3. You don't overdraft them so at that point I don't mind the value. I like Schwartz and Carter at those spots too. The one big miss is not addressing CB at least once. Good job overall though!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I know you addressed it, but if I'm looking DL I'm trying to find EDGE over DT. Might be good value, but we just don't need it at that point (no problem adding depth/development later on with a lot of picks). Not against RT at 23, but I think you can find some solid ones in rounds 3-5. I can't help but love the value of Vrabel or Lucas. Maybe I'm wrong? I have no problem looking for OLBs switching over to a 4-3. You don't overdraft them so at that point I don't mind the value. I like Schwartz and Carter at those spots too. The one big miss is not addressing CB at least once. Good job overall though!

Read and watched some stuff on Carlos “Boogie” Basham. Also interested in Jaelin Phillips of Miami as well. I’ll do more research on the edge players - as I agree they’re a serious need - those two were impressive though. 

Also like Paulson Adebo from Stanford a lot at corner for this defense. 

Appreciate the feedback though! 

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Flying New York Jets GIF by SportsManias

Thats fine. Without getting into the whole 'is Darnold good enough to be a Franchise QB' question, you have to think about his contract. Are you picking up his option and hoping he bounces back? Are you going into this as his final year before he hits FA? And then what? If he shows promise you invest big money to keep him? So in your scenario you pretty much have to make it clear that the Jets believe Darnold is THE GUY. And I simply don't buy that. 

The Jets find themselves in a position with Darnold where they will need to make a decision of consequence without truly knowing if he can develop into a Franchise QB. They simply can't rely on Darnold being 'the guy' and yet a decision on his future will need to be made. To an extent, this is their own fault for flubbing his development. But maybe he is just a bust. Either way, you can't assume an opportunity to trade for a FQB (Watson) or draft a FQB (Wilson/Fields) will come around any time soon (next 5 years while Saleh and JD are still under contract). So you either believe Darnold is the answer, you trade for Watson or you take a QB at #2. Only if you def. believe Darnold is the guy can you trade down from #2. 

That's my biggest issue with this mock and any mock that has us passing on a QB and/or trading down from #2.  

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Thats fine. Without getting into the whole 'is Darnold good enough to be a Franchise QB' question, you have to think about his contract. Are you picking up his option and hoping he bounces back? Are you going into this as his final year before he hits FA? And then what? If he shows promise you invest big money to keep him? So in your scenario you pretty much have to make it clear that the Jets believe Darnold is THE GUY. And I simply don't buy that. 

The Jets find themselves in a position with Darnold where they will need to make a decision of consequence without truly knowing if he can develop into a Franchise QB. They simply can't rely on Darnold being 'the guy' and yet a decision on his future will need to be made. To an extent, this is their own fault for flubbing his development. But maybe he is just a bust. Either way, you can't assume an opportunity to trade for a FQB (Watson) or draft a FQB (Wilson/Fields) will come around any time soon (next 5 years while Saleh and JD are still under contract). So you either believe Darnold is the answer, you trade for Watson or you take a QB at #2. Only if you def. believe Darnold is the guy can you trade down from #2. 

That's my biggest issue with this mock and any mock that has us passing on a QB and/or trading down from #2.  

I would not pick up his option this year. I'd rather gamble on that - right now, I don't think he's the long term answer.

I'm not enamored with either Wilson, Fields or Lance. I think there will be prospects of their caliber nearly every year. So if I have to go with that type of prospect, one I would label as high upside/low floor, I'd rather have a good roster in place, a system installed and a healthy culture to give that player the best chance to develop.

The short answer - unless I got Trevor or traded for Watson, I'm punting on quarterback until next offseason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I would not pick up his option this year. I'd rather gamble on that - right now, I don't think he's the long term answer.

I'm not enamored with either Wilson, Fields or Lance. I think there will be prospects of their caliber nearly every year. So if I have to go with that type of prospect, one I would label as high upside/low floor, I'd rather have a good roster in place, a system installed and a healthy culture to give that player the best chance to develop.

The short answer - unless I got Trevor or traded for Watson, I'm punting on quarterback until next offseason.

Ok. I can buy into that. But what happen if Darnold looks better than this year but not great and the team looks better this year but not great- which is most likely what it will look like- and the Jets are 8-8 and selecting in the teens. Will they even have an opportunity to draft a Wilson, Fields or Lance type prospect? That's my whole point. You can punt until next year on a QB but you may not get a chance to draft one. Certainly not the type of opportunity you have now. Sure, stud QBs have gotten drafted late in Rd. 1 but how many times have the Jets been able to do that? 

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ok. I can buy into that. But what happen if Darnold looks better than this year but not great and the team looks better this year but not great- which is most likely what it will look like- and the Jets are 8-8 and selecting in the teens. Will they even have an opportunity to draft a Wilson, Fields or Lance type prospect? That's my whole point. You can punt until next year on a QB but you may not get a chance to draft one. Certainly not the type of opportunity you have now. Sure, stud QBs have gotten drafted late in Rd. 1 but how many times have the Jets been able to do that? 

I think you're totally reasonable in assuming

• an improvement overall in the teams performance from '20 to '21
  • an improvement from Darnold
  • lower first rounder because of that (and lets assume the Seahawks are .500 or above barring a Russ Wilson injury)

That would leave us with a mid teens and low 20's pick. 

That's not ideal for selecting a blue chip quarterback, whether staying at those picks or packaging them together. 

But that brings me back to this; if I'm not a true believer in any of the quarterbacks not named Trevor Lawrence in this year's draft - should I take one simply because I pick high? 

Also - if I traded down from 2, depending on how far down, it's likely that I could net another first rounder next year - and maybe even from a team that's not going to be great next year (looking at you Detroit) - which could give me more ammo/opportunity to get a quarterback next year.

I don't think there's any ideal answer here, but I just don't want to be that team that is forced to pick a quarterback they're not thrilled about because of draft position. 

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think you're totally reasonable in assuming

• an improvement overall in the teams performance from '20 to '21
  • an improvement from Darnold
  • lower first rounder because of that (and lets assume the Seahawks are .500 or above barring a Russ Wilson injury)

That would leave us with a mid teens and low 20's pick. 

That's not ideal for selecting a blue chip quarterback, whether staying at those picks or packaging them together. 

But that brings me back to this; if I'm not a true believer in any of the quarterbacks not named Trevor Lawrence in this year's draft - should I take one simply because I pick high? 

Also - if I traded down from 2, depending on how far down, it's likely that I could net another first rounder next year - and maybe even from a team that's not going to be great next year (looking at you Detroit) - which could give me more ammo/opportunity to get a quarterback next year.

I don't think there's any ideal answer here, but I just don't want to be that team that is forced to pick a quarterback they're not thrilled about because of draft position. 

I agree. I guess I'm making the assumption that the Jets (unlike yourself) do have interest in one of these QBs (Fields/Wilson) as potential Franchise guys. At least to the extent that any rookie could be one- after all, its all a crap-shoot to an extent and you are rolling the dice regardless (that includes Lawrence). 

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree. I guess I'm making the assumption that the Jets (unlike yourself) do have interest in one of these QBs (Fields/Wilson) as potential Franchise guys. At least to the extent that any rookie could be one- after all, its all a crap-shoot to an extent and you are rolling the dice regardless (that includes Lawrence). 

Just want to be clear - I've got no idea about their intentions or how they evaluate quarterbacks. I'm not scout, I'm just a dude that spends his Sunday afternoons watching the Jets. I like to watch big college games and am a NFL draft idolator. 

What I'm saying is; I know jacksh*t and even less about what the Jets might prize in a quarterback. They might love Fields, Wilson or Lance. I do not. 

On 1/25/2021 at 12:25 PM, PepPep said:

I would not pick up his option.

If he plays well, you can franchise him for a year, and if he repeats, then sign him.   If he does not, the team would have 3 first rounders the following year to get a QB.

• Upvote 1