Draft Needs

How are we feeling going into the draft? We have a lot of holes, but what do you think we HAVE to come away with vs. the positional strengths of the draft?

It’s always better to draft best player available, but to me that should be based on premium positions. Enough ILBs, box safeties, IDL.

PRIMARY NEEDS:

• QB  - OL - CB - TE - RB

SECONDARY NEEDS:

• WR - S - EDGE

NEED TO COME AWAY WITH:

• QB - Start with the QB. Take Wilson, let’s start the new regime on the right path.

• OL - We need 1 or 2 starters and 1 for depth. Let’s not make the same mistakes we made with Sam. Protect our QB.

• CB - Good corner class and we need 2 corners. One Day 1 starter and depth.

• RB - Good value to be had in rounds 4 & 5. Might have to double dip since Perrine looked like sh*t and Tevin is on glass legs.

NEED BUT PROBABLY WON’T GET:

• TE - the draft class is meh for tight ends. We’d have to use one early and I just don’t see the board breaking that way for us.

• WR - Good WR class and we should definitely take advantage in rounds 3 or 4. I just feel like Joe will opt from taking one, as we have holes elsewhere.

• EDGE - Lawson was a great addition but we need another starter and some young depth at the other end.

• S - We need depth at the safety. But more pressing needs elsewhere.

How are we feeling going into the draft? We have a lot of holes, but what do you think we HAVE to come away with vs. the positional strengths of the draft?
It’s always better to draft best player available, but to me that should be based on premium positions. Enough ILBs, box safeties, IDL.
PRIMARY NEEDS:
• QB  - OL - CB - TE - RB
SECONDARY NEEDS:
• WR - S - EDGE
NEED TO COME AWAY WITH:
• QB - Start with the QB. Take Wilson, let’s start the new regime on the right path.
• OL - We need 1 or 2 starters and 1 for depth. Let’s not make the same mistakes we made with Sam. Protect our QB.
• CB - Good corner class and we need 2 corners. One Day 1 starter and depth.
• RB - Good value to be had in rounds 4 & 5. Might have to double dip since Perrine looked like sh*t and Tevin is on glass legs.
• TE - the draft class is meh for tight ends. We’d have to use one early and I just don’t see the board breaking that way for us.
• WR - Good WR class and we should definitely take advantage in rounds 3 or 4. I just feel like Joe will opt from taking one, as we have holes elsewhere.
• EDGE - Lawson was a great addition but we need another starter and some young depth at the other end.
• S - We need depth at the safety. But more pressing needs elsewhere.

I’d put TE and RB jnto secondary needs, but I otherwise agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Wish they addressed a little bit more in FA because they have some real areas of weakness they have to address and are locked into addressing it. 

Yup.

Corner is swiss cheese.

No corner depth

OL still suspect

TEs sucks

Safety depth a concern

Edge depth

RBs thin

• Upvote 1

I agree with everything you wrote. But I don’t think it’s so dire. 1 addition to the top of the depth chart has a ripple effect especially since we have so much money. Let’s say we get Jenkins and put him at guard next to Fant next year. GVR becomes the first backup off the bench. Alex Lewis to GVR in case of injury is basically a wash and wouldn’t be as crippling as having to start Josh Andrews was last year. Our top 6 OL now have a higher floor than our top 6 OL did last year.

Needs? The jets have only one need, and that is to ease the path to success for their new QB. That takes priority. The 4 picks after Wilson, in no particular order, must be 3 O lineman (C, G, RT) and 1 RB. Screw the D. They can draft D players next season. Protect the rookie QB with high caliber O linemen and a running game.

And who knows, the D might look a lot better when complimented by a functioning Offense.

• Upvote 1

The offensive needs have to take priority because of the QB. Douglas said it himself that we have to learn from Mac’s (and his tbh) mistakes and maximise the talent around the guy you want to take over. The corners can wait if they must. 

Obviously offensive line is where everyone wants investment. A legitimate Tight End would be a great addition but they’re very hard to find later on. I do like Tremble though, even if he’s mainly a blocker. He looks like he’d be an asset to any team. 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:49 AM, Adoni Beast said:

PRIMARY NEEDS:

• QB  - OL - CB - TE - RB Yea I agree with this list. Pretty much on point. I actually think OLB is a primary need as well. RB depends on how they view the current group they have. 

SECONDARY NEEDS:

• WR - S - EDGE

NEED TO COME AWAY WITH:

• QB - Start with the QB. Take Wilson, let’s start the new regime on the right path. This is a given. FQB at #2.

• OL - We need 1 or 2 starters and 1 for depth. Let’s not make the same mistakes we made with Sam. Protect our QB. I think people get a bit carried away with what we NEED to draft at the O-line position. If the Jets get a blue-chipper in Rd. 1 (#23) who can step in and start at G, they don't NEED to draft another starter AND a depth guy. 

• CB - Good corner class and we need 2 corners. One Day 1 starter and depth. Again, the NEED to come away with 2 CBs is exaggerated. I think Saleh will be using a lot of safety (Nickel) looks and the Jets are high on Hall. They have Bless, Guidry and will most likely sign another vet depth CB. Getting ONE capable CB, maybe in the 3rd round- Trill Williams, Paulson Adebo, Elijah Molden- is all the Jets NEED to do, IMO. Saleh uses CBs in a very specific way and doesn't nec. need top tier guys in the draft, just scheme specific guys.  

• RB - Good value to be had in rounds 4 & 5. Might have to double dip since Perrine looked like sh*t and Tevin is on glass legs. I do think the Jets need to use one of their draft picks to add a RB. However, it depends on how they view the current RB group. You clearly don't think much of Perine or Coleman. Maybe the Jets really like both, as well as Ty. Maybe they are happy with that trio? I don't really know. My guess is they are looking to draft a RB to compete with Coleman and Coleman will probably get cut once all is said and done. I have heard they like Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert and Jermar Jefferson. However, I would be REALLY surprised if they took TWO RBs in the draft and they certainly don't NEED to. 

• TE - the draft class is meh for tight ends. We’d have to use one early and I just don’t see the board breaking that way for us. I actually think they WILL take a TE at some point. Just a guess based on who they signed so far. 

• WR - Good WR class and we should definitely take advantage in rounds 3 or 4. I just feel like Joe will opt from taking one, as we have holes elsewhere. Eh, this depends highly on who is available where. The Jets seem to be looking at A LOT of WRs. I highly doubt they don't take a WR AT ALL. Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if they took Rondale Moore as early as Rd. 2. 

• S - We need depth at the safety. But more pressing needs elsewhere. Jets now have Maye, Davis, Joyner and Bennett Jackson. Will they add another one in the draft? Maybe. But I agree, they may not. Do the Jets NEED another safety. Maybe. I think they end up signing another vet for depth. Again, Saleh will most likely play a lot of Nickel, sometimes with 3 safeties. I think this is why they signed Joyner. 

I have a slightly different view on a few of these.