Are 2021 Wins Really Not Important?

Wins are important.  Young teams need to learn how to win.  As much as I would love to see the playoff drought end this season, I do not realistically expect that.  For this season, I want to see a team that gives us reason to think they are heading in the right direction.  With all the youth, we are likely to struggle early.  I want to see a team that looks a lot better in November and December than Sept/Oct.  

With all the optmiism around Saleh/Douglas/Wilson, another top 3 pick is not the goal.  Learning to win and improving as a team is.  2022/23 is the time to contend.  I want to see on the field that we are on track.

• Upvote 1

The last three coaches we’ve had got plenty of time to prove themselves. 2 years of Gase was plenty. I don’t see the Johnsons being impatient. They’ve been pretty patient over the last decade. We’ve just sucked over that time.

I do want the Jets to win some games. But my optimism/pessimism for this team won’t come from win totals, it’ll come from the performance of Zach Wilson, the play of Becton/AVT, Mims/Moore, and how our D progresses throughout the year.

Basically, I need confirmation that Douglas is actually good at drafting, Zach can be a FQB and Saleh can coach up a Defense and is a good HC. If this happens, some wins should happen.

• Upvote 1

Stop the nonsense and rationalization, winning always matters.  It doesn't matter
if the coaching staff is new, the QB is a rookie or the team is young.  Building
good organizational habits (winning, no penalties, no turnovers, physical) is
important whenever we play

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, K Clue said:

Losing sucks, but I’d be more than okay with it if the team is at least always trying and being competitive, and especially if they only improve game after game. 

Much of the "trying and being competitive" needs to be initially driven by Saleh and Wilson and then other coaches and players under them following their lead. Show a gritty energy driven never give up mentality and after that the talent level gets you as far as you can go. Obviously when the talent is not good enough you evaluate based on that and say well we are getting the best out of the players that we can, now where do we need to upgrade?. Then use the draft picks and cap $, which we have plenty of to do that.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2021 at 7:50 PM, Beerfish said:

I have always disagreed a bit with the old saying, you are what your record says you are.  Just a win loss record can be VERY deceiving if you do not look at the wins and losses and project going forward.

You can win 4 games but if you are in every game and competitive you  can turn things around fast.  Likewise you can have a decent record that deceives.  A good example of this was Rex Ryans 8-8 year, the team was out right handed two wins by the other team in the last seconds and just got destroyed in most of their loses.  They also gave up an ungodly number of big plays.  But hey, 8-8 we are pretty good!  Then the team settled in for what they really were the next season and beyond.

Win or look good losing.

Very true.  The 8-8 Jets team in 2013 is a great example, as was the 7-9 Jets in 2019.  Both were incredibly misleading. The former got blown out in all its losses and only won close games, meaning they had a high luck factor.  The latter had an unusually easy schedule, with that Jets team ending up facing a lot of injured/rested QBs.  The 2014 and 2020 Jets were, predictably, awful both on the field AND in the respective W-L records, based on what lead to those misleading wins the years prior.

The important takeaway is this:  The difference between 2 wins and 6 or 4 wins and 8 is small, so no one should ever be “proud” of a 7-9 or 8-8 season in the NFL.  But the difference between 8 wins and 12 is massive.  You can “luck” your way to 8 wins when you should have won 4.  You really can’t ever “luck” your way to a 12-win season. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Surprised to see Montana had career completion % in the  low 60’s. 

Yep, totally different game even then, when Bill Walsh “modernized” it.

The short passing game worked but you could still mug the receiver, so even a revolutionary new way of doing things didn’t make completion percentages shoot up tremendously, at least not right away. 

• Upvote 1