Are 2021 Wins Really Not Important?

That seems to be the consensus on jetnation.com, but is it reality?  Let’s say Saleh & Co beat Jacksonville and Cincinnati at home and lose every other game the way they lost the 2019 opener against the Bills.  Competitive, yes.  Fighting hard, yes.  Chance to win, yes.  Lose, yes.  Will posters really be ok with that outcome?  Let’s also say that Wilson shows serious improvement as the season goes on and the offense finished top 18 and the defense top 10.  Will that satisfy Jetnation?  That remains to be seen.

Bill Walsh’s first year with the Niners produced a total of two wins, followed by six wins followed by a Super Bowl trophy.  Parcells Giants went from 3 to 9 to 10 wins to a Super Bowl win.  Will the Jets fans and management be this patient?  I remain skeptical.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 3

If you have 4 rookies starters on offense, including QB, WR, O Line, and at least 2 second year players who had limited experience in their rookie season, youvare going to have ups and downs.

If they won 4 games, but JDs class gets a ton of playing time, and players from last year and this year are progressing, I would be thrilled.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The jets have to win some games and, more importantly, they need to play the whole 60 minutes and not make stupid plays. Of course it would be great if they won 10 or more but that alone shouldn’t be what this season is judged by.  We’ve all seen teams turn it around in a season but sometimes that’s because there was enough talent to begin with. After 5 seasons of Mac there just wasn’t that much and then the QBs wasn’t so hot either. Maybe this shouldn’t be considered Douglas rookie season but it’s also not his show me season.

I have always disagreed a bit with the old saying, you are what your record says you are.  Just a win loss record can be VERY deceiving if you do not look at the wins and losses and project going forward.

You can win 4 games but if you are in every game and competitive you  can turn things around fast.  Likewise you can have a decent record that deceives.  A good example of this was Rex Ryans 8-8 year, the team was out right handed two wins by the other team in the last seconds and just got destroyed in most of their loses.  They also gave up an ungodly number of big plays.  But hey, 8-8 we are pretty good!  Then the team settled in for what they really were the next season and beyond.

Win or look good losing.

• Post of the Week 1

As long as Saleh shows more fire than Gase and Zach Wilson shows flashes as a Rookie QB I'll become A+ excited for the future. 

We've got 4 picks within the first two rounds next year + A+ salary cap space; 2022 is when I'll crave for wins. 

2021 I just want to enjoy a young roster on the verge of a new era. 

I don't care what we do in 2021 after the last 2 seasons as far as record. Just show me progress

I can live with zero wins if its watchable and moving in the right direction. Team accomplished neither the last 2 years. First time I quit watching ever. I canceled my cable so I couldn't 

All I know is one thing...

QB: Zach Wilson (21). 

LT: Mekhi Becton (22). 

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (21). 

WR: Denzel Mims (23). 

WR: Elijah Moore (21). 

TE: Kenny Yeboah (22). 

RB: Michael Carter (22). 

RB: La'Mical Perine (23). 

RB: Ty Johnson (23). 

We're finally featuring a core group of extremely young offensive players (and it's going to be, FUN). 

Even guys like TE Chris Herndon (25), WR Corey Davis (26) and WR Jamison Crowder (27) are all well under 30 years of age. 

You can (almost) say the same about our Defense too; 

This youth movement sh*t is going to become SUPER FUN to just watch these kids develop (with speed) under coach Saleh.

Regardless of what a fan forum Thinks this league is about wins and loses. A losing year is just that, a losing year. Saleh doesn’t want one, his players don’t want one, and JD doesn’t want the third season under his belt as a losing one. This team will play hard and play to win, and losing won’t cut it 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

- 2 wins was a Gase aberration and never to be repeated. 

- my wont for this season (and for any other season) is to play competitive football and be in the hunt for the post season in Dec.

- happily I think we have the GM/HC duo who can & ought to get us there.     

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

If you have 4 rookies starters on offense, including QB, WR, O Line, and at least 2 second year players who had limited experience in their rookie season, youvare going to have ups and downs.

If they won 4 games, but JDs class gets a ton of playing time, and players from last year and this year are progressing, I would be thrilled.

Kind of like the Browns from 2 years ago. We’re in a lot of games late but didn’t have the experience and unity to finish. If I see that this year with 6 wins I’m thrilled …. Especially with so many new players and coaches. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

All I know is one thing...

QB: Zach Wilson (21). 

LT: Mekhi Becton (22). 

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (21). 

WR: Denzel Mims (23). 

WR: Elijah Moore (21). 

TE: Kenny Yeboah (22). 

RB: Michael Carter (22). 

RB: La'Mical Perine (23). 

RB: Ty Johnson (23). 

We're finally featuring a core group of extremely young offensive players (and it's going to be, FUN). 

Even guys like TE Chris Herndon (25), WR Corey Davis (26) and WR Jamison Crowder (27) are all well under 30 years of age. 

You can (almost) say the same about our Defense too; 

This youth movement sh*t is going to become SUPER FUN to just watch these kids develop (with speed) under coach Saleh.

Could be the Chiefs part 2 if players develop. Mahomes takes over from Smith with some nice offensive weapons in place. Defense lagged behind. In a couple of years KC wins SB. 

Not saying Jets are at same level, but it wouldn’t take much if Wilson the real deal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I frankly don't care what the record is.  I want to see a competitive team that improves throughout the year.  I'm tired of being embarrassed on practically a weekly basis.  I'm fine with losing some games we should win if we can steal a few we have no business being in....or at least scaring some of the heavy hitters.   Just give me a a reason to care past September.   Not much to ask.

12 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

That seems to be the consensus on jetnation.com, but is it reality?  Let’s say Saleh & Co beat Jacksonville and Cincinnati at home and lose every other game the way they lost the 2019 opener against the Bills.  Competitive, yes.  Fighting hard, yes.  Chance to win, yes.  Lose, yes.  Will posters really be ok with that outcome?  Let’s also say that Wilson shows serious improvement as the season goes on and the offense finished top 18 and the defense top 10.  Will that satisfy Jetnation?  That remains to be seen.

Bill Walsh’s first year with the Niners produced a total of two wins, followed by six wins followed by a Super Bowl trophy.  Parcells Giants went from 3 to 9 to 10 wins to a Super Bowl win.  Will the Jets fans and management be this patient?  I remain skeptical.  

I bet you got participation trophies when you were a kid .

12 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

And none of this has anything to do with this team

For one, the 49rs were a real 2-14 team the year before Walsh, not a 4 or 5 win team that only won 2 because of their CS.  

Pretty sure there have been numerous threads on just the opposite.  This team is going to suck something awful. 

Rookie HC, Rookie OC, Rookie DC, Rookie QB, relying on a Rookie G, Rookie WR, and Rookie RB with a bunch of 2nd year players for all intent and purposes are basically rookies because they either didnt or barely played last year and now they're learning new systems on both sides of the ball and lets be very real, the ones who did play last year, were underwhelming to say the least sans a few games from when Becton decided he wanted to play.  They have no veteran QB in the room, they have zero veteran CB's, they have questions at pass rusher and the only move they made to upgrade the OL was drafting a G in the first round while they literally sat on their hands at C which was the weakest spot on the offense.  

So, do wins matter?  Yes, duh, ofcourse they do but I wouldnt expect too many.  I just hope we dont see planes and banners and billboards.  Everyone is all fired up about Saleh and Wilson but the reality is, a come down is inevitable.  They literally might not win a single game in the division.  4/5 wins max but hopefully a team that starts to gel toward the end of the season and Wilson gives you confidence your at least good at QB moving forward.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I think you're being too literalist.

No, winning i.e. competing for the playoffs and making the postseason, isn't expected nor necc. vital for 2021 for Saleh and JD and Wilson.

Yes, of course we still WANT them to win, and will be unhappy if they lose.

Strategic long-term thinking vs. tactical in-the-moment thinking.

Yes, most of us will be patient enough to see what 2022 brings before we call for firings, new QB, etc.

13 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Surprised to see Montana had career completion % in the  low 60’s. 
Would love to see Zach in the Drew Brees range of 70% by year 3. Only works if there is continuity with WR group. Mims needs to ball out and get a new deal & be our Michael Thomas. Moore needs to be Zach’s Emmanuel Sanders and Carter his Mark Ingram. 
If this young offense & coaching staff grows together, develops well & keeps together then we have the making of a very good team. Buffalo re-signed all their key FA this year. 3-4 years from now I am hopeful Mims, Becton, Moore & Carter get big extensions. Hoping Herndon has a huge year with Zach & gets paid. Hoping Lefleur becomes the next great young coaching prospect but due th his Saleh man-love decides to stay to get that ring!
We need players playing above their draft slot & continuity