Saleh’s Best Interview…

19 hours ago, Dunnie said:

We now enter the longest 6 weeks of the year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I disagree. Last 6 weeks of season are the longest. We’re eliminated and having the tiresome “meaningless wins” versus “real fans never root for the Jets to lose” debate.

Again.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Robert Saleh, Jets taking “bold” approach at cornerback

Posted by Josh Alper on June 18, 2021, 6:52 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Jets head coach Robert Saleh’s last job was running the defense for the 49ers and he did it well enough to help the team to Super Bowl LIV on his way to landing his current gig.

One of his biggest challenges with his current defense will be building a strong cornerback group. The Jets opted not to sign or trade for any veterans this offseason, which leaves them with a young collection of players without a track record of success at the professional level.

Saleh was asked at his Thursday press conference if he’d like to add someone with more experience to a crew that features four rookies, Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, and Javelin Guidry. Saleh didn’t sound like it was an imperative for the team.

“I’ve said it before, I think, the difference between player A and player Z in the entire league, I’m not talking about superstars, I’m not talking about the Aaron Donald’s of the world, they’re unique,” Saleh said. “But the difference between player A and player Z is minimal and the only thing that keeps player Z from becoming player A is an opportunity and reps. Let’s see what happens. Does it always happen? It doesn’t, but unless you’re willing to be bold enough to coach your tail off and to invest as much as you can into these young men and give them the opportunity to be seen, give them the opportunity to get reps, and give them the opportunity to get better, you’ll never know what you might find. So, that’s just the belief and the philosophy of not only our coaching staff but the entire organization and that’s something we’re committed to.”

The Jets have swung and missed with a number of free agents over the years. This year’s approach is at the other end of the spectrum and we’ll see if boldness winds up paying off for Saleh.

• Upvote 4

On 6/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, rangerous said:

I haven’t listened to it yet. Talk is cheap. I’m from Missouri, show me.  Way back when, during the civil war Lincoln had quite a few generals that talked and looked the part and failed miserably.  He finally settled on a guy who was hardened to the war and had the intestinal fortitude to get the job done.  Hopefully the jets have found their Grant.

Grant & Patton, though successful, many times sacrificed troops for the victory.
Bradley, from what I’ve read found a balance between needing to take that town and protecting lives as much as possible. This is what I sense with Saleh. Sell the vision & plan

Some folks are missing the point of the video.  

Saleh is not just talking here....

Indeed, Saleh may not succeed...

Indeed.......HE MAY NOT SUCCEED and we can't fantasize about imaginary results...

But to me the key here is coach Saleh has a comprehensive approach concerning organizational building for the entire Organization --from player acquisition, player upside, and true complimentary offensive and defensive approaches as well as how people should treat each other when they enter the building.  This goes far beyond the rhetoric of "its a process", "we're working", "we have pelts", we " play to win the game" or other such catch phrases, or simply trying to be like or not like the Patriots....... 

And finally, Saleh has real assistant coaches and supporting coaches who must, in order to be hired, have a common coaching philosophy.  I have never heard of this before....

Indeed, Saleh has made clear reference that some folks wanted to be on his staff, couldn't be hired but when a position opens up due to a coach becoming a HC he will bring them onboard, so no we haven't had a coach be this prepared to the details as Saleh since Parcells and while he may not succeed at least we have real hope for a change!

• Upvote 1

I loathe all this Parcells adoration.  First of all he was a Giant.  Secondly he cost us Manning.  Just a case in point of how desperate some fans were to have the "appearance" of a winner; hoping for the coattail effect.  Geesh.  

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Robert Saleh, Jets taking “bold” approach at cornerback

Posted by Josh Alper on June 18, 2021, 6:52 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Jets head coach Robert Saleh’s last job was running the defense for the 49ers and he did it well enough to help the team to Super Bowl LIV on his way to landing his current gig.

One of his biggest challenges with his current defense will be building a strong cornerback group. The Jets opted not to sign or trade for any veterans this offseason, which leaves them with a young collection of players without a track record of success at the professional level.

Saleh was asked at his Thursday press conference if he’d like to add someone with more experience to a crew that features four rookies, Bless Austin, Bryce Hall, and Javelin Guidry. Saleh didn’t sound like it was an imperative for the team.

“I’ve said it before, I think, the difference between player A and player Z in the entire league, I’m not talking about superstars, I’m not talking about the Aaron Donald’s of the world, they’re unique,” Saleh said. “But the difference between player A and player Z is minimal and the only thing that keeps player Z from becoming player A is an opportunity and reps. Let’s see what happens. Does it always happen? It doesn’t, but unless you’re willing to be bold enough to coach your tail off and to invest as much as you can into these young men and give them the opportunity to be seen, give them the opportunity to get reps, and give them the opportunity to get better, you’ll never know what you might find. So, that’s just the belief and the philosophy of not only our coaching staff but the entire organization and that’s something we’re committed to.”

The Jets have swung and missed with a number of free agents over the years. This year’s approach is at the other end of the spectrum and we’ll see if boldness winds up paying off for Saleh.

Rookie HC, OC, QB, on the youngest team in the league. Saleh is, cleverly, taking these clear disadvantages and spinning them into an Us vs. Them mentality to build team unity. It’s a powerful message: what we have is good, let’s uncover it - I’m gonna coach my ass off for you, it’s up to you to make the most of this opportunity. Whether it’s the QBs or the CBs, the RBs, TEs, or LBs, everyone has to feel that they’re a part of the football team, and everyone has a chance to play and succeed. If I was riding a stationary bike, I’d be figuring out how to get my ass off of it. Everyone else is in the mix. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I loathe all this Parcells adoration.  First of all he was a Giant.  Secondly he cost us Manning.  Just a case in point of how desperate some fans were to have the "appearance" of a winner; hoping for the coattail effect.  Geesh.  

Parcells did do one thing. He made us relevant for the first time in a long time. Mostly agree with what you wrote, though (except don’t care if he was a Giant it’s just business he was a Pat, too). 

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

@The Gooch has become self-aware. He's jumped the shark.

You, sir, are correct. When he was that random guy who popped into a party and left a turd in the punch bowl, he was interesting. Now he’s trying to live up to the reputation and add to it consciously.

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Are you honestly even suggesting for a moment that Al Groh, Herman Edwards , Adam Gase and others are better coaches than Bill Parcells??

Come on Man……

Wow…

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Some folks are missing the point of the video.  

Saleh is not just talking here....

Indeed, Saleh may not succeed...

Indeed.......HE MAY NOT SUCCEED and we can't fantasize about imaginary results...

But to me the key here is coach Saleh has a comprehensive approach concerning organizational building for the entire Organization --from player acquisition, player upside, and true complimentary offensive and defensive approaches as well as how people should treat each other when they enter the building.  This goes far beyond the rhetoric of "its a process", "we're working", "we have pelts", we " play to win the game" or other such catch phrases, or simply trying to be like or not like the Patriots....... 

And finally, Saleh has real assistant coaches and supporting coaches who must, in order to be hired, have a common coaching philosophy.  I have never heard of this before....

Indeed, Saleh has made clear reference that some folks wanted to be on his staff, couldn't be hired but when a position opens up due to a coach becoming a HC he will bring them onboard, so no we haven't had a coach be this prepared to the details as Saleh since Parcells and while he may not succeed at least we have real hope for a change!

First off, I was very impressed by the young man interviewing Saleh. Really intelligent questions related to scheme design and coaching philosophies among staff and the input from the players.

As far as Saleh is concerned, I like the fact that there is no bluster (bite your knees off) but an underlying intensity and focus that draws you in. I like how he referred to Ulbricht as “expert” in the “wide 9” formation. I’m really looking forward to see the DL performance this year. Q and Rankins, Marshall, Fatukasi or Shepherd with the push up the middle and Lawson off the edge. Need to find that breakout player opposite Lawson. Zuniga, Huff, Rashed Jr, Blair, JFM, Curry or Phillips.

Go Jets!

• Post of the Week 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:39 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Grant & Patton, though successful, many times sacrificed troops for the victory.
Bradley, from what I’ve read found a balance between needing to take that town and protecting lives as much as possible. This is what I sense with Saleh. Sell the vision & plan

I’m afraid I don’t have the same opinion of Bradley.  To me Bradley may be a players coach Patton and grant were winning coaches . And the thing is the soldiers that fight right, just like football players, suffer fewer casualties.