Owners Approve New CBA

AMJets

NFL | Owners approve new labor dealWed, 8 Mar 2006 17:41:25 -0800ESPNews reports NFL owners have approved the NFLPA's offer for a new collective bargaining agreement. The extension will last six years and take the league through the 2012 season. It is unknown what the salary cap will be for the 2006 season, but it will be higher than the previously reported $94.5 million.

Voted on 30-2, Buffalo and Cincy only two teams to vote. Cap will be raised to $104M- ESPNEWS

So how much spending money do the Jets have?

Are a few other teams still going to have to shed a lot of blood in the next couple hours?

Are a few other teams still going to have to shed a lot of blood in the next couple hours?

I believe the Jets had 12 mil with a new CBA but if they trade Abe thy will have 20 million which is the most since I can remember.

I think we had $10-$15M in cap space before, now that will increase to around $20-$25M. I'm sure some players will be cut, but not like there would've been without a new CBA.

Problem is, at least half of the other teams have as much or more under the cap.

It sill be interesting to see which teams go hog wild and blow their load right away and fritter it.

As always, there will be bargains for the teams that wait, particularly with the amount of FA's.

I would not want to be a marketsetter in this market

The thing is that EVERYONE has that cap space. They sill have the problem of acctually getting players to come here.

I figure that one, maybe two top tier free agents is all the Jets would get under any circumstance. This extra space allows the Jets to go and stack the roster and create competition. There are lots of B and C type free agents that if put in the right situation by the coaching staff and/or if driven by competition could be very effective starting caliber players or very effective role players. This new system is all about what I just discribed.

I figure that one, maybe two top tier free agents is all the Jets would get under any circumstance. This extra space allows the Jets to go and stack the roster and create competition. There are lots of B and C type free agents that if put in the right situation by the coaching staff and/or if driven by competition could be very effective starting caliber players or very effective role players. This new system is all about what I just discribed.

True It's all gonna come down to the new regeme scouting well and picking the right players

True It's all gonna come down to the new regeme scouting well and picking the right players

That is exactly what it will all come down to. But I have a hunch you will not see any Steve White, Damien Robinson or Lance Legree type signings this year. If there are guys that are signed and cut it will be because they are hopeless players and we are all set at that position.

Who cares? Everyone else gets the same money. All it will do is drive up the bidding.
My thoughts exactly. If I'm an agent then I'm demanding an extra 10% to 20% over what I would have accepted without a new CBA.

I just want a big, fat defensive tackle and David Givens. I would like to sign LeCharles Bentley to replace Mawae, but he's probably going to get a load of money and his mind is probably already made up as to where he wants to play.

Thank god.

Awesome news and now no more worrying about a no salary cap league until 2012! I'm really happy to hear this news!

Also, are we not now like 12,13 or more million under the cap? If so, we need to go out there and sign a big time FA either at the OT, or NT position....Ashworth or Shaeffer at OT would be great and if not then Sam Adams is out there but he's on the older side so I'm guessing we'd shy away from him.

I wonder with this new found money if the Jets will try to sign Abe long term? You never know...

good point...I'm so infatuated with M.Williams and AJ Hawk at this point, I think I'd rather trade Abe for another pick in the top 20, and use the money for the 2 picks and some O-line FA's.

NFL | Salary cap for 2006 season and 2007 season set

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:41:45 -0800

Correcting a previous report, ESPN.com's Chris Mortensen reports the salary cap for the 2006 season will be set at $102 million. The salary cap for the 2007 season will be set at $109 million. The signing bonuses signed for the 2006 season will also only be pro-rated over five years.

If we seriously have 15+ in cap room we definetly need to go hard after the best NT in free agency, maybe a right tackle too!

Everybody keeps talking abou maake kemoautu or whatever the eff his name is, is he really that good? When I watched the ravens I never came away that impressed. But he's gotta be alot better than what we have right now.

What are the terms? 6 years is kinda short, I wish they'd just go sign a 20 year CBA or something.

NFL Owners Vote to Approve New Labor Deal

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 8, 2006; 8:44 PM

GRAPEVINE, Tex., March 8 -- The NFL's team owners voted Wednesday to approve a labor deal with the players' union, ending a dispute that had threatened to wipe out the salary cap system and possibly produce a courtroom confrontation between owners and players.

The owners also agreed to a system that increases the degree to which the teams share locally generated revenues, easing the concerns of some owners about a growing economic divide between clubs.

The labor deal apparently is for six seasons, running through the 2011 season, and sets the salary cap for the players at slightly less than 60 percent of a greatly expanded pool of league revenues. The owners' ratification of the deal, which was proposed by the union and delivered to the owners here Tuesday by NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, came after they met for two days at a Dallas-Fort Worth airport hotel.

The final vote was not immediately clear, but ratification required the approval of at least 24 of the 32 teams.

The immediate effect is that teams that had been facing a salary cap crunch, including the Washington Redskins, now have more wiggle room beneath the cap to retain players and sign new ones. The labor extension will raise the cap to more than $100 million per team, up from the $94.5 million per club that would have been allotted without a new labor deal. The labor extension also eases some restrictive salary cap rules, related to the expiration of the cap, that would have taken effect and further hindered teams in negotiating contracts with players.

The league's free agent market is scheduled to open at 12:01 a.m. (EST) Friday. The league and union agreed Monday, when they put the players' proposal into writing, to push back free agency by 24 hours if the owners approved the deal. Teams must be under the new salary cap by Thursday night. That deadline would have come Wednesday night if the owners had rejected the players' proposal, and the free agent market would have opened at 12:01 a.m. (EST) Thursday.

Tagliabue and Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, agreed Monday that there would be no further negotiations between the two sides and this proposal would be a take-it-or-leave-it offer for the owners. The league agreed to give Upshaw an answer by 8 p.m. (EST) Wednesday. Upshaw is in Hawaii for a meeting of the players' executive board.

When Tagliabue presented the proposal to the owners Tuesday, he told them that many of them had not been around for the league's labor strife in the 1980s and urged them not to repeat it. He told them it was important for them to resolve this dispute and find a way to work with the players. Sources said that Tagliabue worked behind the scenes Wednesday to get the deal ratified.

The recent labor pains had been unusual for the NFL, which had benefited from a cooperative relationship been the owners and the union since the early '90s while cementing its status as the nation's most prosperous sports league. Now the league has labor peace to go with a set of new national television contracts that will be worth almost $4 billion annually beginning next season.

The twin labor and revenue-sharing disputes arose from the fact that a group of about eight teams, including the Redskins, has far surpassed the other clubs in revenue-generating capabilities in recent years. All 32 teams share national revenues equally. But the Redskins' Daniel Snyder and the owners of the other high-revenue franchises tapped into revenue streams -- from sources that include stadium naming rights, luxury boxes and local sponsorships -- that didn't have to be shared with the other clubs. Owners of low-revenue teams expressed concerns that the growing disparity eventually could lead to a competitive imbalance and sought to overhaul the revenue-sharing system to have more local revenues shared. Owners of high-revenue teams resisted, arguing that they had paid premium prices for their franchises and should not have to further subsidize other clubs that might be, in some cases, mismanaged.

Upshaw, meantime, sought to have the new revenues included in the pool from which the players are paid. Before this settlement, the players received about 65 percent of a smaller revenue pool known as defined gross revenues. The new, larger revenue pool is called total football revenues, and the players are to receive approximately 59.5 percent of it.

The new deal contains a mechanism to adjust the salary cap based on how much the teams collectively spend on player compensation. If the teams collectively spend more than the salary cap in a season -- which is possible since the cap is a flexible spending limit -- the cap would be automatically adjusted downward in subsequent seasons. If the teams collectively spend less than the salary cap in a season, the cap would be automatically adjusted upward in the future.

The previous labor deal would have kept the salary cap in place through the 2006 season, then there would have been a season without a salary cap in 2007 before the agreement expired. Upshaw had said that if this proposal was rejected by the owners, he would begin discussing with the players the possibility of decertifying the union as a tactic to prevent a lockout by the owners in 2008. The players decertifying the union would have enabled the owners to implement any system they liked but would have given the players the option of filing an antitrust lawsuit.

Negotiations broke down several times in recent weeks but the two sides repeatedly pushed back the opening of free agency. Upshaw had said that once free agency began, he was done bargaining because the players would have been that much closer to a season without a salary cap. He'd maintained that the salary cap never would have returned if a season had been played without one.

The owners arrived here Tuesday saying they were committed to working out their differences for the good of the sport. But even with that spirit of cooperation, they had the troublesome issue of revenue-sharing to resolve. They considered three different plans and met until about 11:15 p.m. (EST) Tuesday, then resumed their deliberations this morning at 9. Finding a solution wasn't easy. During a late-morning break in the meeting, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay walked to an elevator and said: "It's not even close to a consensus."

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

So let me get this straight, the less we spend, the more cap room we get in the next year than any other team in the NFL - Or if we spend more, we get less cap the next year? :character42:

Does all this mean I'm gonna be up until 1:00 am just so I can see that LaCharles Bently signed with Philly?

Teams have to be under the new cap by tomorrow night....(I think)

S**t's gonna hit the fan all day tommorrow!!!

The degree of speculation and FA predictions on the board tomorrow will be legendary! Should be a blast.

Archived