2021 Week One Game Thread -- Jets vs Panthers; Let's Go Jets

Maxman

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Highly doubtful.  That was a bottom 10 team we just faced yesterday, and I'm being generous by not saying bottom 5.  Much of that ranking is going to be because of Darnold, but there are other aspects of their roster that need a lot of work too. 

And I don't expect McCaffrey to last the full season, especially with the kind of usage he just got.  He's gonna miss 3-4 games at least, and the Panthers will lose every game that he's out for sure.  

Agreed.   He was targeted over 30+ times which is a recipe for him, if not getting injured, will result in him getting worn down by Mid-season.   If Rhule does not adjust the gameplan to include spreading the ball out to their WRs, then he's a fug'n idiot who deserves whatever happens with the Panthers season as a result. 

Personally, I hope he does continue doing that as anything that leads to us getting higher draft picks is welcome.    ?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Vin said:

Agreed.   He was targeted over 30+ times which is a recipe for him, if not getting injured, will result in him getting worn down by Mid-season.   If Rhule does not adjust the gameplan to include spreading the ball out to their WRs, then he's a fug'n idiot who deserves whatever happens with the Panthers season as a result. 

Personally, I hope he does continue doing that as anything that leads to us getting higher draft picks is welcome.    ?

And there's the Catch-22.  If he restricts McCaffrey's touches, that puts more on Darnold's shoulders, and that's obviously not ideal and will lead to losses.  But if McCaffrey gets used too much and gets hurt as a result, that leads to losses too.  It's going to be a no-win situation there.

He's really not going to be ABLE to restrict how much McCaffrey gets the ball, short of taking him off the field and putting Hubbard in, as Darnold is constantly going to look for him on checkdowns. 

So one way or the other, this isn't going to end well for Carolina.  And yes, as you say, that's good for us!

• Upvote 1