Dane Brugler

Dinamite

I was checking out some of his work about the upcoming draft and he made an interesting observation about the draft class.  He said that there is a lot of depth in the class, but it is a bad year to have a top 10 pick.

It reminds me of the 2013 draft where the top 10 was a disaster.  Jets also had two picks that year, Milliner and Sheldon Richardson.  I remember two interior lineman went top 10 (who busted) and only one first round QB (EJ Manuel). 

Interesting observation and comparison.  Here is hoping we find some good players.

10 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Brugler posted his first mock draft this morning.  He has the Jets taking Stingley and Edwonu at 4 & 5 followed by the Giants taking Lloyd and Linderbaum at 6 & 7.

The stingley pick is so misguided by these mock draft "experts". If anything its been shown that the jets are perfectly fine taking corners later in the draft and finding fits over guys that are early rounders.  I really would have a hard time seeing the jets take any CB in the first round this year especially after drafting 3 last year and picking up another UFA.  This is a young secondary and it looks like they're pretty happy with where it is.  I could see them adding a #2 CB in FA if the price is right, but drafting Stingley with his injury concerns and only 1 great year of production just doesnt feel like a JD move. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The stingley pick is so misguided by these mock draft "experts". If anything its been shown that the jets are perfectly fine taking corners later in the draft and finding fits over guys that are early rounders.  I really would have a hard time seeing the jets take any CB in the first round this year especially after drafting 3 last year and picking up another UFA.  This is a young secondary and it looks like they're pretty happy with where it is.  I could see them adding a #2 CB in FA if the price is right, but drafting Stingley with his injury concerns and only 1 great year of production just doesnt feel like a JD move. 

Wholeheartedly agree. Hall, Echols, Pinnock, and Carter all have 2-3 years on their contracts after this year, they obviously like Dunn, and pretty sure Guidry is a ERFA and they seem to like him so decent chance he’s back. Not that they couldn’t upgrade but for a young group without many serious investments they’re pretty promising. Stingley just seems so overrated to me too.

I don’t love the idea of a safety in the top five but I’d very much prefer Hamilton to Stingley if they were to go DB.

This mock is also a different take on what I think we’ve discussed with Neal - RG/RT/LT versatility with Ekwonu. There are obviously other directions they could go but having two prospects who could fill that role and how much sense it makes short (RG), medium (Fant replacement), and long (Becton insurance) term is interesting.

22 minutes ago, derp said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Hall, Echols, Pinnock, and Carter all have 2-3 years on their contracts after this year, they obviously like Dunn, and pretty sure Guidry is a ERFA and they seem to like him so decent chance he’s back. Not that they couldn’t upgrade but for a young group without many serious investments they’re pretty promising. Stingley just seems so overrated to me too.

I don’t love the idea of a safety in the top five but I’d very much prefer Hamilton to Stingley if they were to go DB.

This mock is also a different take on what I think we’ve discussed with Neal - RG/RT/LT versatility with Ekwonu. There are obviously other directions they could go but having two prospects who could fill that role and how much sense it makes short (RG), medium (Fant replacement), and long (Becton insurance) term is interesting.

Theres a lot to like in the DB room, i think the ceiling is high with a lot of these guys and you can watch from game to game and see continued growth out of the CBs. the secondaries biggest issue this year has been safety i would argue. That why I think any mocks saying jets pass defense needs help so they have to go corner i think is misguided.  Watching the games, most of the plays that are missed are in deep halves or the seems where safeties are late in coverage.  the corners have actually had relatively tight coverage consistently, even if they dont always force the incompletion. 

The versatility is why I could easily see JD going with someone like neal or Ekwonu over a linderbaum (who i really believe he'll have his highest grade on since nelson).  Linderbaum improves the line tremendously as the anchor and by proxy of kicking mcgovern over to G helps that spot too.  But having a player that can fill in 3 different spots makes a big difference as well.  

Toss up at those spots but its really feeling like OL may be the way JD goes in the top 10 with how these players are going to grade out.  They may only get one top 10 grade on an Edge when all is said and done and a 2-3 on OL

6 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Exactly how I feel 

16 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Here is the same point about the draftr being like 2013 made by Breer.

We haven’t discussed this much but the weak top ten could lead to some unconventional decisions by the Jets. Lower valued positions high, potentially a “reach” that’s not as big of a deal because the class is weak, trade down for less than the chart. I do like the depth of the class.

Just the Jets’ luck to have multiple top half of the draft picks in the two weakest drafts of that ten year stretch.

• Upvote 2

There are some pretty good edge rushers. Hutchenson  had 15 pressures against Ohio State that's Bosa dominance. Thibodeaux will only get better and he's pretty good so far plus Ojabo and Karlaftis. 

The OL is also pretty good: Neal, Ekwanu, Cross, Linderbaum and Green.

This is an in-the-trenches type of draft. There is no reason why JD is unable to solidify the OL and edge position in this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Here is the same point about the draftr being like 2013 made by Breer.

Also looked at the 2013 draft out of curiosity. Some big, big hits in the third and fourth round. Kelce, Keenan Allen, Terron Armstead, Bakhtiari.

Hopkins slid to the late first too, Ertz went early in the second. Lane Johnson was a good early pick - Eagles really set themselves up with Johnson and Ertz even though the class wasn’t great.

Weak class especially at the top but crazy that class had some of the best third and fourth round picks in the last decade and the best late first round WR too.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:01 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Agreed.  Although it would be nice to add a shut-down corner I can't see us using a top 5 pick on a guy with an injury history.  Also, our guys seem confident that they can develop mid-round guys in the secondary.