Mets will surpass Yanks in wins this year

SouthernJet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You must be a no brainer if you think that is true.

The Yankees will win more games vs NL teams then the Mets will.

sorry, nyc which is a national league town will get a NL team as the top dog again,,just like the 80s,,,

sorry, what goes around as they say,,the yanks reign at top of NY is OVER,,

they will still field a solid team but wont be better than the Mets for quite awhile now,,

This is the original reason I became a Yankees fan. Mets fans have got to be the most annoying fans on the planet. Atleast other teams win before talking smack, the Mets never win anything but always talk about how they're better. It's like that nerdy kid in school that always thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but when you look at his actual score, he's just above average, not nearly the best. I always hated that kid.

This is the original reason I became a Yankees fan. Mets fans have got to be the most annoying fans on the planet. Atleast other teams win before talking smack, the Mets never win anything but always talk about how they're better. It's like that nerdy kid in school that always thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but when you look at his actual score, he's just above average, not nearly the best. I always hated that kid.

yanks were laughing stock of baseball until steinbrenner took over and paid his way to championships,,

tide has changed,,mets will win more games this year,,no problemo,,mets will outdraw yanks in 2007 as they capitalize on 2006 success and win back attendance race as they did in 80s,,,

it will just like the old days,,

mets outwin and outdraw,,

ny is a national league city when both teams winning,,

Which old days? You mean one moment in time? Mets fan, know your place. The Yankees have a billion world titles (I'm sure some Yankme fan will come in and state how many they have) and have a world's more history than the Mess. You Mess fans are freakin delusional and ignorant. Bloody hell...

Which old days? You mean one moment in time? Mets fan, know your place. The Yankees have a billion world titles (I'm sure some Yankme fan will come in and state how many they have) and have a world's more history than the Mess. You Mess fans are freakin delusional and ignorant. Bloody hell...

mets will outwin this year and outdraw next year,,,

yanks in for a multi year slide as NYs team,,

no question about it,,

doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that

when mets are winnin and yanks arent or both are winnin, its a national League town: Rightful ownership is coming back,,,

Mets:

New York Mets 1964 21,129

New York Mets 1965 21,566

New York Mets 1966 23,860

New York Mets 1967 20,070

New York Mets 1968 21,728

New York Mets 1969 26,529

New York Mets 1970 32,896

New York Mets 1971 27,984

New York Mets 1972 27,361

New York Mets 1973 23,610

New York Mets 1974 21,262

New York Mets 1975 21,365

New York Mets 1984 22,749

New York Mets 1985 34,094

New York Mets 1986 34,168

New York Mets 1987 37,458

New York Mets 1988 38,193

New York Mets 1989 36,033

New York Mets 1990 33,738

New York Mets 1991 27,860

New York Mets 1992 21,970

yanks:

New York Yankees 1964 16,119

New York Yankees 1965 14,621

New York Yankees 1966 13,715

New York Yankees 1967 15,360

New York Yankees 1968 14,459

New York Yankees 1969 13,350

New York Yankees 1970 14,036

New York Yankees 1971 13,219

New York Yankees 1972 12,550

New York Yankees 1973 15,582

New York Yankees 1974 15,717

New York Yankees 1975 16,513

New York Yankees 1984 22,492

New York Yankees 1985 27,682

New York Yankees 1986 28,350

New York Yankees 1987 29,971

New York Yankees 1988 32,921

New York Yankees 1989 26,796

New York Yankees 1990 24,771

New York Yankees 1991 23,009

New York Yankees 1992 21,589

yanks were laughing stock of baseball until steinbrenner took over and paid his way to championships,,

tide has changed,,mets will win more games this year,,no problemo,,mets will outdraw yanks in 2007 as they capitalize on 2006 success and win back attendance race as they did in 80s,,,

Never a bigger joke than this

http://unp.unl.edu/PressBookJackets/S_0-8032-7822-5.jpg

exactly, i agree,,,

thats why the Mets will now be back on top,,

new front office doing it right and as previous post shows, when mets win they own NY

Both teams draw well when they win but the Mets have a bit of an upper hand with a lot of the yuppy crowd having to choose between Queens and the Bronx. Where do you think the fair weather fans are going to bring their families? I went to one met game in my life (got some free tix as a kid) and never heard so much talk about the stock market at a sporting event in my life.

Both teams draw well when they win but the Mets have a bit of an upper hand with a lot of the yuppy crowd having to choose between Queens and the Bronx. Where do you think the fair weather fans are going to bring their families? I went to one met game in my life (got some free tix as a kid) and never heard so much talk about the stock market at a sporting event in my life.

exactly, another great reason they will be dominant again,,

better team and get to listen to smart people rather than getting mugged in a foreign language,,,great point airforce,,,

exactly, another great reason they will be dominant again,,

better team and get to listen to smart people rather than getting mugged in a foreign language,,,great point airforce,,,

In all honesty I'd prefer it that way. If I'm going to a ball game I don't want to sit around a bunch of panty waste bandwagon fans. I want the true fans who go out to scream their heads off despite the fact that it's not a disneyland atmosphere.

In all honesty I'd prefer it that way. If I'm going to a ball game I don't want to sit around a bunch of panty waste bandwagon fans. I want the true fans who go out to scream their heads off despite the fact that it's not a disneyland atmosphere.

agree, another reason Mets will be back on top,,

yanks have horrendous attendance stats when they are not winning,,,horrendous,,yank fans may actually be the worst bandwagon fans in league,,when mets and yanks are playin bad, mets always outdraw,,good pickup on yanks having bandwagon fans,,

another great point airforce,,,

SJ:

If teh Yanks lose Randy for an extended period of time, they still will win 90 games. If the Mets lose Pedro for an extended period of time, they may lose 100.

That's the difference.

Yanks will draw in the neighborhood of 4 million again in 2006. Mets will struggle for 3 million.

agree, another reason Mets will be back on top,,

yanks have horrendous attendance stats when they are not winning,,,horrendous,,yank fans may actually be the worst bandwagon fans in league,,when mets and yanks are playin bad, mets always outdraw,,good pickup on yanks having bandwagon fans,,

another great point airforce,,,

That would be a great counter on your part only for the fact that what you said is DEAD WRONG!!!!

I've seen the Yankees draw over 2 million fans in seasons where they had no chance to win. Nice try though.

1988...Yanks are a respectable 85-76 and still finish in 5th place...attendace that year is over 2.5 million bandwagon fans.

1989 ....Yanks go 74-87, good enough for a 5th place finish yet the attendace is over 2 million bandwagon fans, not bad for a fifth place team.

1990...a year to forget for us Yankee fans...7th place finish and just shy of 100 losses (67-95) yet once again over two million bandwagon Yankee fans come out to the stadium. And OBTW, thats with Don Mattingly, the biggest draw in pinstripes, missing 60 games.

1991...after several seasons in the cellar, attendace finally dips below the 2 million mark at 1.8 million bandwagon fans, but then again I'm sure every team in MLB finishing 5th and below for several seasons in a row were drawing 2-3 mil per season.:rolleyes:

So to clarify...drawing over or just a hair below 2 million fans when you're finishing in 5th place or worse is horrendous? Is that the statement you're making? If so, what would respctable be for a 95 loss team? 3.5 to 4 million fans? Please give me a number that you would call "respectable" for a 95 loss team as opposed to a horrendous 2 million. Thanks.

That would be a great counter on your part only for the fact that what you said is DEAD WRONG!!!!

I've seen the Yankees draw over 2 million fans in seasons where they had no chance to win. Nice try though.

1988...Yanks are a respectable 85-76 and still finish in 5th place...attendace that year is over 2.5 million bandwagon fans.

1989 ....Yanks go 74-87, good enough for a 5th place finish yet the attendace is over 2 million bandwagon fans, not bad for a fifth place team.

1990...a year to forget for us Yankee fans...7th place finish and just shy of 100 losses (67-95) yet once again over two million bandwagon Yankee fans come out to the stadium. And OBTW, thats with Don Mattingly, the biggest draw in pinstripes, missing 60 games.

1991...after several seasons in the cellar, attendace finally dips below the 2 million mark at 1.8 million bandwagon fans, but then again I'm sure every team in MLB finishing 5th and below for several seasons in a row were drawing 2-3 mil per season.:rolleyes:

So to clarify...drawing over or just a hair below 2 million fans when you're finishing in 5th place or worse is horrendous? Is that the statement you're making? If so, what would respctable be for a 95 loss team? 3.5 to 4 million fans? Please give me a number that you would call "respectable" for a 95 loss team as opposed to a horrendous 2 million. Thanks.

read my chart,,,all those years were mets winnin attendance battle,,

those days return NEXT year as fans react to mets winnin more than yanks this year,,

read my chart,,,all those years were mets winnin attendance battle,,

those days return NEXT year as fans react to mets winnin more than yanks this year,,

I'm not referring to your chart. I'm referring to your statement that the Yankees have horrendous attendance numbers in losing seasons. And as I've said before, when all things are equal the Mets SHOULD draw more fans. They're in a locale thats far more attractive to people who aren't really die hard fans, want to bring the wife and kids to a game, but are scared to go to the Bronx to do it so they play it safe and go to Shea. The Stadium is in a terrible locatin, I'll give you that any day of the week. You're far more likely to get your ass beat at Yankee stadium than at Shea. Just the way it is and if I had a family and no true rooting interest, I'd probably do the same thing.

I'm not referring to your chart. I'm referring to your statement that the Yankees have horrendous attendance numbers in losing seasons. And as I've said before, when all things are equal the Mets SHOULD draw more fans. They're in a locale thats far more attractive to people who aren't really die hard fans, want to bring the wife and kids to a game, but are scared to go to the Bronx to do it so they play it safe and go to Shea. The Stadium is in a terrible locatin, I'll give you that any day of the week. You're far more likely to get your ass beat at Yankee stadium than at Shea. Just the way it is and if I had a family and no true rooting interest, I'd probably do the same thing.

:eek: uh ok,,,

:eek: uh ok,,,

Okay so now we're going to use attendance figures from the 60s? Thats just laughable. Im talking about the past 20-25 yrs. You know, people who are still alive and going to games. I think that would be a more accurate way of gauging yankee fans of today. Christ, talk about grasping for straws.

And maybe you missed my question above, give me a number as far as attendance that would be a respectable number since 2 million fans for a 95 loss team is horrendous. Just a ballpark number, nothing exact.

95 losses, 2 million in attendance = horrendous

95 losses, _ million in attendance = respectable

95 losses, _ million in attendance = dedicated fans

not a real tough question

Okay so now we're going to use attendance figures from the 60s? Thats just laughable. Im talking about the past 20-25 yrs. You know, people who are still alive and going to games. I think that would be a more accurate way of gauging yankee fans of today. Christ, talk about grasping for straws.

And maybe you missed my question above, give me a number as far as attendance that would be a respectable number since 2 million fans for a 95 loss team is horrendous. Just a ballpark number, nothing exact.

95 losses, 2 million in attendance = horrendous

95 losses, _ million in attendance = respectable

95 losses, _ million in attendance = dedicated fans

not a real tough question

cant ignore #s u dont like,,

the yanks reign is over

the yanks reign is over

Ignoring? I'm just keeping things in perspective (ya know, this generation, not fans that are currently dead or in retirement homes) Actually I've addressed everything you've said and have conceded the fact that when the product on the field is comprable between the Yanks and Mets, the Mets SHOULD draw more fans.

You on the other hand, continue to completely ignore my question. You made a statement and all I'm doing is asking you to back up your statement. You said that Yankee fans are the biggest bandwagon fans and that thier attendance in horrendous when they don't compete. I presented you with facts (granted, you may not like that they don't go back 40 years) to the contrary that you continue to duck.

If you're not willing to admit you were wrong when you said the Yankees have horrendous attendance numbers at least admit that in the past 25 years that has not been the case. The Yankees, in my lifetime have had some terrible seasons but have still drawn just short of or over 2 million fans. IMO, that is a dedicated fan base. If you can finish in or near last place and two million fans still come out to watch, that is far from horrendous or bandwagon.

Now does their attendance go up when they play better? of course it does...why not show me an example of a team with dedicated fans whos attendance numbers dont go up when they win.

the yanks reign is over

Speaking of ignoring numbers you don't like, upon further review, it appears that when the Yankees were the doormat of the league, they were still drawing very close to or above the league average for that era. See, it's easy to sit back and say, LOOK...Yankee fans are bandwagaon fans, they only drew 12,219 fans in 1971. True as it is and may sound pathetic by todays standards, the league average for that year was a mere 15,064 per game. That puts the Yankees for that season at 2,845 below league average. For the 12 year span you selected to prove a point, that is as bad as it got. For the other 11 years the attendance at Yankee stadium was right in line with the rest of the league average. Coming in more than 1000 under just twice (-1957 in 1972) and the rest of the time drawing several hundred less to several hundred more (1110 more being the high in 1975) than what the rest of the league was doing. So before we say "Yankee fans don't come out when they're struggling" is easy to do, unless of course you do the homework and see how attendace for the game itself was at that time. So it appears that when the Yankees are at the bottom of the standings their attendance is in the middle of the pack, not so bandwagon if you ask me.

1964---3,031 above league average

1965---794 above league average

1966---1878 below league average

1967---355 above league average

1968---242 above league average

1969---643 below league average

1970---752 below league average

1971---2,845 below league average

1972---1,957 below league average

1973---86 above league average

1974---280 above league average

1975---111- above league average

Speaking of ignoring numbers you don't like, upon further review, it appears that when the Yankees were the doormat of the league, they were still drawing very close to or above the league average for that era. See, it's easy to sit back and say, LOOK...Yankee fans are bandwagaon fans, they only drew 12,219 fans in 1971. True as it is and may sound pathetic by todays standards, the league average for that year was a mere 15,064 per game. That puts the Yankees for that season at 2,845 below league average. For the 12 year span you selected to prove a point, that is as bad as it got. For the other 11 years the attendance at Yankee stadium was right in line with the rest of the league average. Coming in more than 1000 under just twice (-1957 in 1972) and the rest of the time drawing several hundred less to several hundred more (1110 more being the high in 1975) than what the rest of the league was doing. So before we say "Yankee fans don't come out when they're struggling" is easy to do, unless of course you do the homework and see how attendace for the game itself was at that time. So it appears that when the Yankees are at the bottom of the standings their attendance is in the middle of the pack, not so bandwagon if you ask me.

1964---3,031 above league average

1965---794 above league average

1966---1878 below league average

1967---355 above league average

1968---242 above league average

1969---643 below league average

1970---752 below league average

1971---2,845 below league average

1972---1,957 below league average

1973---86 above league average

1974---280 above league average

1975---111- above league average

Good job.

I was looking for the league averages for those seasons, but did not find them. Yankee attendance was always within shouting distance of teh average during the bad years.

BTW - how come there is no mention that the Yankees are the best road draw in Baseball?

Archived