Joe Douglas hasn't signed a single great player.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

The point is that we went nowhere last year after all the hoopla.   That's why, again, I always temper my enthusiasm until I see how these guys play together in real games.

I get it but I think there are solidly objective reasons to be excited about Zach in year 2 and I admit I am overly sensitive to what just seems like mindless bashing of Zach to permeates almost every thread here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

But he has signed a ton of very adequate players with a HUGE upside and has created at the very least some balance. That is the way to do it.

That's the only way to succeed with a team. Good Job Joe, I owe him a big apology. I am finally excited for an upcoming season, strange feeling as a Jets fan wouldn't you say?

If it's the only way how is it a good job?  

4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

But he has signed a ton of very adequate players with a HUGE upside and has created at the very least some balance. That is the way to do it.

That's the only way to succeed with a team. Good Job Joe, I owe him a big apology. I am finally excited for an upcoming season, strange feeling as a Jets fan wouldn't you say?

We accept your apology and remind you it is not necessary you are all welcome to enjoy what Joe is building, the years of misery you have endure grant you passage! 

IN JOE WE TRUST!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I hope the Jets draft OL in the 2nd and 4th round this year (probably OT in the 2nd and IOL in the 4th).  They really need good young talent on the OL for depth this year and maybe to start in a year or so. Whoever the swing tackle is might have to start some games....unless Becton can suddenly stay healthy for a whole season.

I agree that the 1st round will likely be Edge and WR.

I really hope they don't. Not unless the plan is to cut ties with Fant after this season, or with Becton before it. I'm very on-board with taking a developmental center in round 3 or 4, though.

IMO if they want an insurance plan for OT for this season don't do it in early round 2 unless the outright planned and desired goal is to dump one of the current starters within a year. Upper round 2 is where they should be finding rookie (if not day 1) starters, or - depending on the position - at least a player who can rotate onto the field a lot, even if not nominally starting. On the OL, you're either fully starting or you're fully on the sideline; there are no package subs for gradual increases in playing time. 

Want actual insurance for this season? Sign someone who's done it before, at a lower veteran cost, because if a rookie's ready he should be on the field; and if he isn't ready yet then he wouldn't be much Fant/Becton insurance this season anyway.

No particular order:

• (My top depth/insurance guy was Matt Pryor, but he got re-signed at low starter money for a prove-it-again year. Would've been perfect, with a good amount of experience at both tackle positions plus guard.)
  • Jason Peters. Yeah he's 1000 yrs old, but even well past his prime, somehow grandpa is still an above average starter. Plus because of his age he'll be really cheap again, if he doesn't stay retired, and from his comments last preseason after Chicago called him, he  said he didn't even care if he'd have been backing up someone younger to help teach the next crop. Obvious Philadelphia connection to Douglas; I would openly welcome this one. 
  • David Quessenberry has experience at both tackle spots. Was a RFA but don't see that he was tagged, unless I just missed it.
  • Cornelius Lucas. LT and RT starting experience, unlike Moses, and probably at less than half the cost. Not the greatest, but not a train wreck (gave up a few sacks in just over half the team's snaps). Plus doesn't Wash play a lot of zone, too? Anyway if he could be had as a $2MM backup again we could - and have - done worse. 
  • Geron Christian. Also won't cost much at all. Starting LT experience. Nothing great here either, but you don't typically find great when shopping for UFA backup veteran LTs still in their mid-20s. 
  • Mitch Remmers. Is also nothing great either, but can play all 4 non-center positions. A great pass rusher will expose him, but he'd be a backup not a starter, and few teams have such an elite edge rusher like when Tampa made him look terrible in the SB. But he was good enough to get by with for most of the season before then. 

A high 2nd rounder should be a starter this season - or at least drafted to be such sooner rather than later - not to be just a just-in-case insurance policy. If they're going to do that, then just trade Becton already instead of trying to get half-pregnant. I don't hate your idea nearly as much as drafting a tackle at #4 and still keeping Becton & Fant, though, but I'd like to see a 2nd rounder on the field even if the starting tackles aren't injured. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I really hope they don't. Not unless the plan is to cut ties with Fant after this season, or with Becton before it. I'm very on-board with taking a developmental center in round 3 or 4, though.

IMO if they want an insurance plan for OT for this season don't do it in early round 2 unless the outright planned and desired goal is to dump one of the current starters within a year. Upper round 2 is where they should be finding rookie (if not day 1) starters, or - depending on the position - at least a player who can rotate onto the field a lot, even if not nominally starting. On the OL, you're either fully starting or you're fully on the sideline; there are no package subs for gradual increases in playing time. 

Want actual insurance for this season? Sign someone who's done it before, at a lower veteran cost, because if a rookie's ready he should be on the field; and if he isn't ready yet then he wouldn't be much Fant/Becton insurance this season anyway.

No particular order:

• (My top depth/insurance guy was Matt Pryor, but he got re-signed at low starter money for a prove-it-again year. Would've been perfect, with a good amount of experience at both tackle positions plus guard.)
  • Jason Peters. Yeah he's 1000 yrs old, but even well past his prime, somehow grandpa is still an above average starter. Plus because of his age he'll be really cheap again, if he doesn't stay retired, and from his comments last preseason after Chicago called him, he  said he didn't even care if he'd have been backing up someone younger to help teach the next crop. Obvious Philadelphia connection to Douglas; I would openly welcome this one. 
  • David Quessenberry has experience at both tackle spots. Was a RFA but don't see that he was tagged, unless I just missed it.
  • Cornelius Lucas. LT and RT starting experience, unlike Moses, and probably at less than half the cost. Not the greatest, but not a train wreck (gave up a few sacks in just over half the team's snaps). Plus doesn't Wash play a lot of zone, too? Anyway if he could be had as a $2MM backup again we could - and have - done worse. 
  • Geron Christian. Also won't cost much at all. Starting LT experience. Nothing great here either, but you don't typically find great when shopping for UFA backup veteran LTs still in their mid-20s. 
  • Mitch Remmers. Is also nothing great either, but can play all 4 non-center positions. A great pass rusher will expose him, but he'd be a backup not a starter, and few teams have such an elite edge rusher like when Tampa made him look terrible in the SB. But he was good enough to get by with for most of the season before then. 

A high 2nd rounder should be a starter this season - or at least drafted to be such sooner rather than later - not to be just a just-in-case insurance policy. If they're going to do that, then just trade Becton already instead of trying to get half-pregnant. I don't hate your idea nearly as much as drafting a tackle at #4 and still keeping Becton & Fant, though, but I'd like to see a 2nd rounder on the field even if the starting tackles aren't injured. 

am i reading this right you want us to move from Fant, the starter we have that does pretty darn good for pennies on the dollar? crazy man