RIP Abby the Tabby

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Had to put one of my cats to sleep today.

Im pretty tore up.

It never gets easier even after all these years.

When she was young...

Abby2.jpg.53dfca0c657b4ecbb91d7f4e1ffea585.jpg

****. **** **** ****.

what a sweetie.

I have no doubt she had a very happy life. 

• Sympathy 3

On 3/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, Warfish said:

Im pretty tore up.

When she was young...

****. **** **** ****.

Bro, I'm sorry. That's so damn hard, but cherish the time you had her. 

We had Luke for 16 years, had to say goodbye to my best friend last summer. I still look for him whenever I walk in the house, and I swear to God I catch him in the corner of my eye all the time. 

It sucks, but we love them as long as we can and give them the best life possible, and they know. 

RIP, Abby ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

On 3/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, Warfish said:

Im pretty tore up.

When she was young...

****. **** **** ****.

Sorry WF.  That sucks, it is absolutely the worst. I hope you are doing alright.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, Maxman said:

Sorry WF.  That sucks, it is absolutely the worst. I hope you are doing alright.

I appreciate that old friend.  I am.

It's odd, I know for alot of folks, animals are "just animals".  I get that.  It's nothing like what you're going through, I 100% understand and respect that.  

For me (and the wife) it's always been far more than what pets are for normal folks.  We don't have kids (that day is passed now, so we'll never have kids), and we're kinda loners in the real.  Our Pets are our family.  Our companionship.  Our support when we're feeling down.  They're always there, always around us, always a comfort.

And we generally try to adopt/save the cats that no one else wants.  The ones with special needs, aren't the prettiest, maybe don't have the cuddliest personalities, lol.  I have a cat who falls over (Wobbly cat syndrome), she nearly died as a little kitten because her momma has Distemper when she had her kittens, and the momma and whole litter died (as often happens), but she survived with Cerebellar Hypoplasia.  I have a cat missing part of her face, just a birth defect we think (she's also polydactyl, has extra toes, looks like she's wearing mittens, lol).

Abby the Tabby was like that.  I saved her from a friend, who foolishly let his cat out and it came back pregnant.  Abby was the definitive "runt of the litter", and clearly was going to have issues.  But I liked her, so we saved her.  Who knows what happened to the rest of those poor kittens.  Abby was tiny, and was so cute as a kitten.  But we think getting her fixed didn't go well (maybe the kept her out too long) as her whole personality changed, she became very distant (even for a cat).  Still loveable in her own way.  

But she had asthma (what cat has asthma, lol).  She had a very bad habit of pissing outside her box (god that was a lifelong challenge with her).  She was just needy, health wise.  And turns out, she had a very hard to diagnose and rare genetic disorder that turned her liver and kidneys into cyst factories.  And ultimately that is what took her.

I'm a pretty lonely man.  I have my wife, who I love.  And a brother.  And very little else.  So these guys mean alot to me.  It kills me when they go.

But I try to look on the bright side, she got 11 years she likely wouldn't have if we hadn't saved her.  And her passing means I can save another cat who might not get a chance at life otherwise now.  

So yeah, a week on, I'm ok.  I very much appreciate your asking old friend, thank you.

• Sympathy 2

2145038197_JetsAbby.jpg.bafebecadfd984f3132e90811371b463.jpg

Like many cats, she loved immediately laying down on anything the second you put it down, but especially anything that smelled like me or the Wife.  She, more than nay of my cats, was obsessed with laying on our stuff.  We'd put something down, turn our heads a second, and out of nowhere, there she would be, laying down on it. 

Figured I'd share, given the Jets tie-in.  

• Upvote 1