The Next Wave Of Free Agency

YJF

The first two weeks of free agency are over. There was alot of action and many of the big names are off the market. Once a player like Lavar Arrington makes his decision. That will set up the next wave of free agency. Alot of starting NFL players will have to settle for less money on the open market.

It wasn't a strong market to begin with and many players were paid above their market value. There were very few premiere free agents. Alot of second tier players were paid first rate money.

Free agency produces players who have worn out their welcome with their old teams, players who couldn't be kept because of the cap and players who teams felt weren't worth resigning.

The biggest name players still out there are at CB and DT.

At CB, There's Ty Law and Charles Woodson. Teams are looking at Woodson to move to free safety and that's where Ty Law might eventually end up too.

At DT, There's Sam Adams and Grady Jackson. Two veteran DT's who have some question marks.

The highest profile QB seems to be Kerry Collins who is still out there. Baltimore seems to be the logical stop for him. Joey Harrington could get a shot somewhere to be a backup in 2006.

The top offensive lineman are OT Brad Hopkins and C Jeff Mitchell.

The highest profile player available in a trade right now is Buffalo WR Eric Moulds. The Browns are shopping former first round pick, Center Jeff Faine. That's about it at this moment.

There are alot of fading veterans on their last legs looking for a contract. Most of these players are at The WR position. There's David Boston, Az Hakim, Peerless Price, Kevin Johnson, Johnnie Morton and Quincy Morgan. The biggest name veteran player on his last legs literally is RB Stephen Davis.

Then you start to get into the bargain area. Some relatively young second tier players with starting experience.

The best value on the market in this area is at CB with Ahmed Plummer, Andre Dyson, Jamar Fletcher and Eric Warfield.

Once this next wave of free agency before the draft is dealt with. Then it's the final wave of free agency. The bargain basement players who remain on the market and the few veterans who are released before June 1st.

From a Jets prospective. I don't see much out there that can make a significant impact. There may be some role players and players brought in for depth but not someone who is going to be an anchor type at any position.

I don't see too many starting spots open right now on The Jets that can be filled by an outside player. The only area that I see is offensive tackle and that is most likely going to be addressed in the first 3 picks of the draft regardless of whether or not, The Jets sign somebody on the market.

There are about 57 players under contract to The Jets right now. With The Jets figuring to have about 10 draft picks in late April. Then you will see a few undrafted players signed to the summer roster. After The draft, The Jets will be over 70 players. That's not counting if someone on the market is signed.

Woodson blows. It's rare a player can still live off his college rep when he hasn't done jack **** in 8 pro seasons.

Mostly, just two games stick out, and neither of them are the Rose Bowl game. The Ohio State game and the Michigan State game, from 97. That's how he beat out Peyton for the Heisman. He was decent, to start his career, but he's become brokendown and injury prone this past half decade. Not worth the hype or the money he'd demand.

Mostly, just two games stick out, and neither of them are the Rose Bowl game. The Ohio State game and the Michigan State game, from 97. That's how he beat out Peyton for the Heisman. He was decent, to start his career, but he's become brokendown and injury prone this past half decade. Not worth the hype or the money he'd demand.

He won the Heisman because of anti-Southern bias among Heisman voters.

Cmon, Woodson deserved the Heisman.

His team won the rose bowl, he was the best defensive player in college football and he played huge in big games. Not to mention he played offense and special teams too!

And Woodson was DROY I'm pretty sure. And was great his first few years, but he's injury prone these days.

Manning sucks. As does the SEC ;)

If anything, there's an Anti Big Ten bias. Don't go crying, just cause Peyton didn't win. Didn't he get smoked in his bowl game?

In the past 30 years:

SEC Heisman winners: 4 (2 in last 20)

Big Ten Heisman winners: 3 (all in last 15 years)

SEC national championships: 7

Big Ten national championships: 2

But, the Big Ten is better.:rolleyes:

If they can clear the cap space, I wouldn't be surprised if Harrington goes to Denver so they can keep both of their first-rounders instead of trading both of them to move up. Not to mention trading up for a top-4 pick QB may very well cost the same or more (cap-wise) as Harrington plus both of those first-rounders.

In the past 30 years:

SEC Heisman winners: 4 (2 in last 20)

Big Ten Heisman winners: 3 (all in last 15 years)

SEC national championships: 7

Big Ten national championships: 2

But, the Big Ten is better.:rolleyes:

How many have the SEC won in the BSC?

How many in the past five years?

I mean, you had to go back 30 years. And, it's not like the Big 11 is a media darling, like the SEC. But whatever... maybe the wink didn't give away the fact that I was just kidding around? No? Eh...

How many have the SEC won in the BSC?

How many in the past five years?

I mean, you had to go back 30 years. And, it's not like the Big 11 is a media darling, like the SEC. But whatever... maybe the wink didn't give away the fact that I was just kidding around? No? Eh...

The SEC has won one national championship since the BCS started. Same as Ohio State.

The debate was about which conference Heisman voters are more biased against. Not who has won more in the last five years (same number of NC's...congrats, you are even with us over a small window of time).

Archived