RIP Tim McCarver

Scott Dierking

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I never liked him as announcer, but I remember when I was a kid that his baseball card had like 25 seasons of text.  From the 50s to the 80s IIRC.  RIP.

He had a long career as a player and a broadcaster, very successful guy.

I did not like him calling games, but obviously a lot of people did.

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Start at 7:17 (if the link above doesn't already start there).  One of McCarver's finest moments and it came at the biggest possible moment in a baseball season (the World Series hanging in the balance).  

I associate mccarver with the Mets but his calls in yankee playoff games were always top notch

• Upvote 1

image.png.e974e857532973e1ea47be6a55f44291.png

I don't subscribe to The Athletic but I once did a trial subscription (something like 6 months for a total of ~$10) and then canceled it.  I never subscribed again but I still get emails from them.  This is part of an email I received from them today, Feb 17, 2023 (subject: "Ohtani Watch is on"). 

They think Tim McCarver was a pitcher?!  This is a sports-only publication?!

• Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.png.e974e857532973e1ea47be6a55f44291.png

I don't subscribe to The Athletic but I once did a trial subscription (something like 6 months for a total of ~$10) and then canceled it.  I never subscribed again but I still get emails from them.  This is part of an email I received from them today, Feb 17, 2023 (subject: "Ohtani Watch is on"). 

They think Tim McCarver was a pitcher?!  This is a sports-only publication?!

Saw another tribute today where they showed the lefty batting McCarver hitting a HR in the 1964 WS and then saying on his player bi-o that he batted right handed.?MLB isn’t the only baseball related entity that isn’t severely watered down in talent