NFL Draft Player Profile: Washington State Linebacker Daiyan Henley

JetNation

Daiyan-Henley-scaled.jpg

Come time for the NFL draft, Joe Douglas and the New York Jets are sure to be taking a long look at some of the linebacker talent on the board.  This class boasts plenty of high-ceiling players and the Jets have a genuine lack of talent currently under contract.

Of course Gang Green may address the position in free agency, but an injection of talented youth should be in order.  With that in mind, today we profile Washington State linebacker Daiyan Henley.

Height: 6′ 1”

Wt: 230

Position: Linebacker

College: Nevada (2017-2021), Washington State (2022)

Hometown: Los Angeles, California

Games watched: Wisconsin, Colorado State, Oregon, USC, Arizona State, Senior Bowl

All-Star Game Appearance: Senior Bowl

Washington State LB Daiyan Henley being a stud in coverage: Take One pic.twitter.com/GS72ehhrTN

— Ryan Roberts (@RiseNDraft) February 2, 2023

Henley is a rare success story as a player who switched not only schools, but positions at the collegiate level and had a great deal of success.  Not only did Henley switch positions, but sides of the ball, moving from wide receiver to linebacker where he flourished.

Positives:

Athleticism for days.  As a former wideout, it should come as no surprise that Henley runs well, and in looking at the physical brand of football that he delivers, it’s not surprising to see that somebody thought he’d be well suited to make the switch from receiver to linebacker.  When Henley finds his target, he comes downhill with violence and delivers some big hits.

A sideline-to-sideline backer, Henley lined up both inside and out for Washington state and his rare athleticism will give his new team a variety of options on defense.

Negatives:

While Henley can be a force when he’s comfortable with what he’s seeing, there are times when his inexperience shows and he hesitates for a moment before moving in to action.  This may be a result of his inexperience at the position and could be something he gets fixes over time.

Henley will also get taken out of a play more often than you’d like, but again, a seamless transition from receiver to linebacker isn’t all that realistic so some hiccups were inevitable.

Discussed @WSUCougarFB LB Daiyon Henley this week on @JetNation live. He's showing up early vs Oregon. His second tackle of the day. This one prevents what would have been a huge gain. Explosive player and big time hitter. pic.twitter.com/tnYADdqdWX

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) September 24, 2022

Henley is a player we first noticed back in the opening weeks of the college football season when his physical attributes jumped off the screen in watching Washington State take on the Wisconsin Badgers.  The following week, we tuned in to check Henley out again and all he did was rack up 13 tackles, 3 sacks and a pair of forced fumbles.  The previous week was no fluke.

@WSUCougarFB LB Daiyan Henley gets a well deserved invite to the Senior Bowl. If you're not familiar with him yet, you will be after seeing him in Mobile. pic.twitter.com/JggyZcPvee

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) November 23, 2022

Draft Projection:  Henley’s tools make a player who can be a huge asset on defense as teams look to get increasingly athletic.  Having a player who can move as well as Henley does should make him a lock to go no later than late round 2 on draft day.  With a strong combine, he could go even higher.

The post NFL Draft Player Profile: Washington State Linebacker Daiyan Henley appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

He's my top LB choice at the moment.  Seems like he's skyrocketed up draft boards to the point where he could go late 1st.  I think more likely he's a 2nd, so you'd either have to take him at 43 or take him with an extra 2nd, whether it's from trading down in the 1st or trading up from the 3rd.  I wouldn't hate it either way though, especially if you could walk away from the first 2 rounds with say Skoronski, Schmitz, and Henley.  That would be two home run drafts in a row as far as I'm concerned.  Hell, even if we took a S like Branch or a WR like Johnston or Addison instead of OT.  

..but yeah, Henley is the LB I'm hoping for at the moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

He's my top LB choice at the moment.  Seems like he's skyrocketed up draft boards to the point where he could go late 1st.  I think more likely he's a 2nd, so you'd either have to take him at 43 or take him with an extra 2nd, whether it's from trading down in the 1st or trading up from the 3rd.  I wouldn't hate it either way though, especially if you could walk away from the first 2 rounds with say Skoronski, Schmitz, and Henley.  That would be two home run drafts in a row as far as I'm concerned.  Hell, even if we took a S like Branch or a WR like Johnston or Addison instead of OT.  

Henley is great. So many good LBs in this draft. The Jets may want to take two. Especially if they move down at some point and add picks. 

Early second round feels too early for Henley. And I doubt he lasts until the 3rd. So yea, you may need to move up for him out of the 3rd round. 

But I still have familiar names like Simpson, Campbell, Sanders and Overshown ahead of Henley. I'm taking one of them in Rd. 2 if I was going LB. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I have Drew Sanders, Jack Campbell, Trenton Simpson, To'o To'o & Dorian Williams ahead of him... I wouldn't mind taking him or Ivan Pace in the later rds though. 

On 2/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, jetsons said:

I have Drew Sanders, Jack Campbell, Trenton Simpson, To'o To'o & Dorian Williams ahead of him... I wouldn't mind taking him or Ivan Pace in the later rds though. 

Drew Sanders is a really intriguing player but he is not making it to the 3rd round.  I like the value we would be getting with Henley as he will likely be a 3rd rounder which will allow us to address other positions in the 1st/2nd round. 

• 1 month later...