2023 Yankees Thread

Maxman

5 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Putting Cashman aside, (dumps Hicks when he finally started hitting, LOL) Yankees are hitting on more cylinders than last month.
They are back in the divisional race and with the return of Severino , improvement of Schmidt and German ( yea even with the sticky fingers) and with Kahnle pitching well in the minors and back by June 1 st, you’d have to be optimistic that they can get back in the race by the end of June when Rodon, Stanton and Donaldson are all back also.

Gleyber is pretty terrible in the field, DJ at second and JD at third, is better defensively and Gleyber can play some fill in at second and DH also or even better, become trade bait for something good around the All Star break.

I think we are going to start making some noise very shortly .

I am optimistic they will get back in the race, they are in it now actually. Personally I just can't stand Donaldson. His glove is great. Hope he comes back and hits that would be great. I am just not waiting up for it.

• Upvote 1

Stanton will come back, and 20 games later he will pull a hamstring or calf again.  He simply can not be counted on for significant games and production.  Don't forget, last year he hit a whopping 211.

They need starting pitching, they need Severino to stop pulling his lat, and they need Rodon to show up. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

Personally I just can't stand Donaldson. His glove is great. Hope he comes back and hits that would be great.

Donaldson's father was a serial wife & child beater who was put in prison for most of JD's childhood.

He grew up, went to college at Auburn, made it to the major leagues, won an MVP, got married and became a father.Think overall, considering , he did much better than many from that kind of background.

He got into a pissing match with another competitor that included verbal abuse by both of them for years and had the other guy not been Black, during the height of WOKEISM, no big deal, part of baseball.

I don't understand why fans would hate him, I understand Hicks who barely tried to play defense and run the bases let alone hit but Donaldson, usually hustles and has done fine in the field.

I actually think GLeber has so many brain farts in the field, yankees are a stronger team with Donaldson at 3rd and DJ at second.

Still hope JD hits this season, we will see.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:22 AM, Barton said:

Yanks should bring up Austin Wells and put him at DH. Another guy with too many K's in his history but is a lefty who can help.

They seem to think Wells is catching well enough now to stay behind the plate, however if Rortvelt can stay healthy, he looks like a real guy who is a LH catcher also.

1 hour ago, Leftylarry said:

Donaldson's father was a serial wife & child beater who was put in prison for most of JD's childhood.

He grew up, went to college at Auburn, made it to the major leagues, won an MVP, got married and became a father.Think overall, considering , he did much better than many from that kind of background.

He got into a pissing match with another competitor that included verbal abuse by both of them for years and had the other guy not been Black, during the height of WOKEISM, no big deal, part of baseball.

I don't understand why fans would hate him, I understand Hicks who barely tried to play defense and run the bases let alone hit but Donaldson, usually hustles and has done fine in the field.

I actually think GLeber has so many brain farts in the field, yankees are a stronger team with Donaldson at 3rd and DJ at second.

Still hope JD hits this season, we will see.

I don't hate Donaldson, I just think he is pretty much done as an offensive player.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, chirorob said:

I don't hate Donaldson, I just think he is pretty much done as an offensive player.

That's a fair assessment but i think he needs a chance to prove that is the case.

I mean if you were a CArdinal fan and said Matt Carpenter was done as an offensive player before last season, I would have had to agree but still, I wanted Yankees to give him a look.

You never know with former good hitters when they can regain the feel.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, bicketybam said:

How many wins is Judge worth for this team? The Yankees would be screwed without him. The guy is amazing.

I think the answer is, his (WAR )wins above replacement last year was in the nines, therefore he’s probably worth 9-10 games a season more than a guy out there who’s WAR is zero.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:08 PM, bicketybam said:
On 5/25/2023 at 5:57 PM, Leftylarry said:
I think the answer is, his (WAR )wins above replacement last year was in the nines, therefore he’s probably worth 9-10 games a season more than a guy out there who’s WAR is zero.

It feels like more than 9-10 though.

Not the day he strikes out three times, maybe you lose some of those days, 9+ is a huge WAR.

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Bader goes down with a hamstring. Sorry but you can’t give this guy a long term deal. Hey Brian, stop trading for injury prone guys. Half the freaking team is injury prone. What a terrible GM. 

Cashman acquires injury prone guys because they put so much into "value", as if they are a small market team. He misallocates so much of the budget on bullpen and guys like Hicks, completely botches the Judge contract negotiations, and leaves himself with a small budget left to fill out the rest of the roster. He's determined and convinced that if you "win" every trade, it will pay off in the end. They rarely go for the big fish any more, just the guy they can acquire for relatively low cost, but typically, that cost is down because the player's current organization already has an understanding that the player is injury prone. And they rarely look for "fit", and are never comfortable "losing" a trade long term to acquire a piece that may be necessary to put you over the top for a title run in the short term. He overvalues his prospects, most of which don't pan out in the end. They draft terribly, and don't develop players any more. They'll tout their success with young arms in the pen, but in reality, those are just guys who are there because they never made it as starters. Cashman is the disease with this team right now, but his brother from another mother Hal is too busy counting revenue to do anything about it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Yankees are tied for the 5th best record in baseball and 1/2 game back from 3rd best, all the while playing in the toughest division.

The teams ahead of them in the division have about 1/4 the payroll of the Yankees.

1) Rays $75 million

2) Orioles $76 million

3) Yankees $277 million

FIRE CASHMAN & LEVINE

The teams ahead of them in the division have about 1/4 the payroll of the Yankees.
1) Rays $75 million
2) Orioles $76 million
3) Yankees $277 million
FIRE CASHMAN & LEVINE
This is like yelling that Woody should sell the Jets. Not gonna happen.

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Cashman acquires injury prone guys because they put so much into "value", as if they are a small market team. He misallocates so much of the budget on bullpen and guys like Hicks, completely botches the Judge contract negotiations, and leaves himself with a small budget left to fill out the rest of the roster. He's determined and convinced that if you "win" every trade, it will pay off in the end. They rarely go for the big fish any more, just the guy they can acquire for relatively low cost, but typically, that cost is down because the player's current organization already has an understanding that the player is injury prone. And they rarely look for "fit", and are never comfortable "losing" a trade long term to acquire a piece that may be necessary to put you over the top for a title run in the short term. He overvalues his prospects, most of which don't pan out in the end. They draft terribly, and don't develop players any more. They'll tout their success with young arms in the pen, but in reality, those are just guys who are there because they never made it as starters. Cashman is the disease with this team right now, but his brother from another mother Hal is too busy counting revenue to do anything about it.

Though I agree with your central point, which apparently is : Cashman sucks! Keep in mind many if not most top starting pitchers come from the early rounds of the ML draft, where Yankees are often drafting in the late 20’s   Next pick after all the junk thrown in after the first 32 are taken means Yankees next pick is often in the late 50’s .

They found Montgomery in the 4 th round, Nestor in the 32 rd if I remember correctly , so those are two solid ML starting pitchers they pretty much developed and don’t forget about Severino who signed in the International draft on a pretty cheap deal also.Certainly German ( acquired by Yankees but pitched in their Minor leagues system a few years ) and Schmidt are at least ML  average # 5 starting pitchers, though Schmidt never excited me very much when we drafted him.

I think they are getting better at the development of starting pitching and I think there are a few decent prospects in the minors right now 

59 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, JetPotato said:
1) Rays $75 million
2) Orioles $76 million
3) Yankees $277 million
FIRE CASHMAN & LEVINE

This is like yelling that Woody should sell the Jets. Not gonna happen.

I don’t think Levine has much to do with anything on the field, it’s Cashman who is the weak link.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Yankees are tied for the 5th best record in baseball and 1/2 game back from 3rd best, all the while playing in the toughest division.

Perspective is important , that’s perspective but yes, many are frustrated over guys like Hicks still being owed a lot of money we could have used elsewhere, Stanton being a total mess for huge money, if he isn’t injured or hitting a ball 120 mph , he’s making gaffes in the of or on the base paths , striking out when you need a simple flyball , hitting into double plays with men on base and overall, just not being a winning player.

Now add trading away your prospects continuously for injured players and short term answers and you wonder what is going on in the inner workings of the organization.

Can they develop a player like Wells into a catcher, a Breaux ? Other teams do.

Did they turn Volpe into a flyball hitter with some power because they are focused on HRs when maybe he could have been a .300 hitter with a High on base percentage, instead of a .220 hitter with 15 HRs?

can they develop a Jasson Domingues, who turns it on and off reminiscent of Gary Sanchez in the minors and is his upside a Cano type who doesn’t hustle no matter what?

Spencer Jones is a great prospect, I guess they developed Judge , so they can develop him too, how about a Trey Sweeney who suddenly isn’t hitting as well in the minors, wanna bet they are adding loft to his swing?

I don’t even think Gleyber has developed really, think he’s better than what we see out there and I don’t think Boone knows how to manage these young guys , especially the type that turns it on and off.

He needs Judge/ Rizzo/ DJ/ Bader types that are self motivated and know how to play baseball nd win games.

1 minute ago, Leftylarry said:

Perspective is important , that’s perspective but yes, many are frustrated over guys like Hicks still being owed a lot of money we could have used elsewhere, Stanton being a total mess for huge money, if he isn’t injured or hitting a ball 120 mph , he’s making gaffes in the of or on the base paths , striking out when you need a simple flyball , hitting into double plays with men on base and overall, just not being a winning player.

Now add trading away your prospects continuously for injured players and short term answers and you wonder what is going on in the inner workings of the organization.

Can they develop a player like Wells into a catcher, a Breaux ? Other teams do.

Did they turn Volpe into a flyball hitter with some power because they are focused on HRs when maybe he could have been a .300 hitter with a High on base percentage, instead of a .220 hitter with 15 HRs?

can they develop a Jasson Domingues, who turns it on and off reminiscent of Gary Sanchez in the minors and is his upside a Cano type who doesn’t hustle no matter what?

Spencer Jones is a great prospect, I guess they developed Judge , so they can develop him too, how about a Trey Sweeney who suddenly isn’t hitting as well in the minors, wanna bet they are adding loft to his swing?

I don’t even think Gleyber has developed really, think he’s better than what we see out there and I don’t think Boone knows how to manage these young guys , especially the type that turns it on and off.

He needs Judge/ Rizzo/ DJ/ Bader types that are self motivated and know how to play baseball nd win games but of course I can manage those guys.

Just call them, Judgeee, Rizzie, Badey and stay out of their way.

19 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Though I agree with your central point, which apparently is : Cashman sucks! Keep in mind many if not most top starting pitchers come from the early rounds of the ML draft, where Yankees are often drafting in the late 20’s   Next pick after all the junk thrown in after the first 32 are taken means Yankees next pick is often in the late 50’s .

They found Montgomery in the 4 th round, Nestor in the 32 rd if I remember correctly , so those are two solid ML starting pitchers they pretty much developed and don’t forget about Severino who signed in the International draft on a pretty cheap deal also.Certainly German ( acquired by Yankees but pitched in their Minor leagues system a few years ) and Schmidt are at least ML  average # 5 starting pitchers, though Schmidt never excited me very much when we drafted him.

I think they are getting better at the development of starting pitching and I think there are a few decent prospects in the minors right now 

This is such a Cashman point. We DrAfT tOo LoW!

That myth has been debunked time and time again. The Dodgers, Cardinals, Astros... all far superior at drafting, yet are perennial contenders who never draft early either.

18 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

I don’t think Levine has much to do with anything on the field, it’s Cashman who is the weak link.

Levine, Cashman, Hal... all have the same problem: that what is on the field is not their primary concern. 

They care about a Judge because he sells tickets, and no other reason. They are content to have a "pretty good" product that fills seats all year long. They're not going to invest any more time or money than they have to in order to do anything but that. And they'll tell you too: lower your expectations, Yankee fans are spoiled... blah blah blah. Then out of the other side of their mouth, they'll try to sell you on the "legacy of excellence" as a marketing tool.  Can't have it both ways.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:48 PM, JetPotato said:

Levine, Cashman, Hal... all have the same problem: that what is on the field is not their primary concern. 

They care about a Judge because he sells tickets, and no other reason. They are content to have a "pretty good" product that fills seats all year long. They're not going to invest any more time or money than they have to in order to do anything but that. And they'll tell you too: lower your expectations, Yankee fans are spoiled... blah blah blah. Then out of the other side of their mouth, they'll try to sell you on the "legacy of excellence" as a marketing tool.  Can't have it both ways.

The evidence does not support your thesis or conclusions.

Yankees spend more or the same as 30+ teams on average, they spend more on first class travel and accommodations , more on international Scouting and US scouting , more on minor leagues facilities and Coaching and more than anyone in  the Analytics field.

Cashman, Boone and the analytics guys may suck but money 8s totally not the issue, the evidence suggests, exactly the opposite.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:44 PM, JetPotato said:

This is such a Cashman point. We DrAfT tOo LoW!

That myth has been debunked time and time again. The Dodgers, Cardinals, Astros... all far superior at drafting, yet are perennial contenders who never draft early either.

I would agree that there are more players on the west coast and other warm areas  , making it easier for Houston and Dodgers to find guys and Cardinals do have a great organization but Yankees drafting has been much, much better last few years, hell, Judge , whom they drafted late might be best player in baseball.

Yankees lose picks because of free agent signings also and of course never get any additional picks like other teams do,

Nestor was a #32 rounder, Montgomery a 4th rder, Sevvy a great signing ( Yankees get less dough to sign INTL players too) and the farm system is pretty strong right now, unfortunately they’d rather hve a Volpe hit HRs, KO and hit fly all outs than bat .300, that’s organizational.

7 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

The evidence does not support your thesis or conclusions.

Yankees spend more or the same as 30+ teams on average, they spend more on first class travel and accommodations , more on international Scouting and US scouting , more on minor leagues facilities and Coaching and more than anyone in  the Analytics field.

Cashman, Boone and the analytics guys may suck but money 8s totally not the issue, the evidence suggests, exactly the opposite.

You've missed the point entirely 

7 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

I would agree that there are more players on the west coast and other warm areas  , making it easier for Houston and Dodgers to find guys and Cardinals do have a great organization but Yankees drafting has been much, much better last few years, hell, Judge , whom they drafted late might be best player in baseball.

Yankees lose picks because of free agent signings also and of course never get any additional picks like other teams do,

Nestor was a #32 rounder, Montgomery a 4th rder, Sevvy a great signing ( Yankees get less dough to sign INTL players too) and the farm system is pretty strong right now, unfortunately they’d rather hve a Volpe hit HRs, KO and hit fly all outs than bat .300, that’s organizational.

What year do you think it is? It's easier for West Coast teams to find players because they're closer? Bizarre, and directly in opposition to your previous post about how much money the Yankees spend on scouting.

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

What year do you think it is? It's easier for West Coast teams to find players because they're closer? Bizarre, and directly in opposition to your previous post about how much money the Yankees spend on scouting.

Volpe = NJ 

kapische?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Wow.

Your single data point tells a strong story. 🙄

By the way, Aaron Judge is from California.

That’s my point exactly, most baseball players are from left coast, Southwest, South etc, very few from NY area , short season here and New England .

getting away from that minor point, Yankees drafting and development has been much better, a big bunch of the guys Cashman traded IMO will start making a splash , Thairo Estrada is still hitting .301 with some power and stealing bases too, many others we signed and or drafted are going to step up , think Yankees farm system and development has improved big time.

ps: My point about Volpe is, we knew him better than the Angels did, proximity and personal relationships with coaches in HS and college counts a lot, just like in football.

• More Ugh 1

Last nights loss is typical of Yankees last few seasons and post Jeter era, we beat them two nights in a row scoring 10 runs each game but can’t find a way to push accross one run in a 0-0 game after 10 innings.

Thats way the Jeter, O’Neil, Bernie, Tino, Broscious , Posada teams win so much, they could beat you 10-2 but they could beat you 1-0, 2- 1 also, that’s where, the 3 outcome players don’t help you , where lofted swings don’t win, when you just must have a single or fly ball to win the game.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:08 PM, bicketybam said:

I'm not advocating for Cashman. I'd love to see him and Boone shown the door. But the Yankees are still a top team in baseball, despite inept GMing and managing.

They will be lucky to back into the final wildcard spot in the AL.  Main reason Yankees are even that good now is Stick drafted Judge years ago