2023 Yankees Thread

Maxman

Yankees  appear to be in good shape with the pitching staff and my guess is their season will rest on the likes of Hicks, Donaldson and Stanton all having comeback seasons .

Hicks, if he fails again, IMO is easily replaced by Cabrera who should hit 20+ dingers and field fine.

Donaldson , if he fails is easily replaced by DJ Lemahieu and we just then must depend on Gleyber having a big season so we can trade him and open up a spot for Volpe who is probably the second baseman of the future.

Think starting pitching and bullpen will both be strengths, just need Peraza to be the real deal at SS, Bader to have a career season and the three underachievers I listed , well at least 1 needs to step up.

On 2/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, Leftylarry said:

Yankees  appear to be in good shape with the pitching staff and my guess is their season will rest on the likes of Hicks, Donaldson and Stanton all having comeback seasons .

Hicks, if he fails again, IMO is easily replaced by Cabrera who should hit 20+ dingers and field fine.

Donaldson , if he fails is easily replaced by DJ Lemahieu and we just then must depend on Gleyber having a big season so we can trade him and open up a spot for Volpe who is probably the second baseman of the future.

Think starting pitching and bullpen will both be strengths, just need Peraza to be the real deal at SS, Bader to have a career season and the three underachievers I listed , well at least 1 needs to step up.

Of the 3, betting on 1 is fair. I think that is Stanton. I actually like the idea of getting him in right field a bit. They tried putting him in a bubble and he got hurt anyway.

Donaldson I was hoping would be gone. The crazy thing is, if you run him back out there he seriously can't be worse than last year.

On 2/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, Leftylarry said:

I think the rotation is in great shape. The bullpen has depth. Closer still scares me.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:34 PM, Maxman said:

I think the rotation is in great shape. The bullpen has depth. Closer still scares me.

Holmes was unhittable until the injury, seems back , 100% , not worried about him and King , who looks great also this spring.

Wandy Peralta is big this season and I’m hoping Krook makes the team, lefties can’t touch him .

7 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Holmes was unhittable until the injury, seems back , 100% , not worried about him and King , who looks great also this spring.

Wandy Peralta is big this season and I’m hoping Krook makes the team, lefties can’t touch him .

Hopefully that is the case with Holmes!

Kahnle is hurt, hope its not bad.

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

Bader out with an oblique.

This team, with it's injuries already.  Unreal.   Rodon out.  Kahnle out.  Trivino, out.

Has Bader ever not been hurt ? Will the Dumb Ass Cashman let the kids come up and Play ? Volpe seems like a no brainer. Dominguez looks like he can get it done. This is NOT Gene Michael this organization is way too stupid with Cashhole at the helm to let the kids play and develop as Pros. Like I said a million times is Cashman was the Yankees GM Jeter would have never come up when he did. I know I would rather see Cabrara and Domingues than Broken down Bader and Hicks

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:31 AM, Smashmouth said:

Has Bader ever not been hurt ? Will the Dumb Ass Cashman let the kids come up and Play ? Volpe seems like a no brainer. Dominguez looks like he can get it done. This is NOT Gene Michael this organization is way too stupid with Cashhole at the helm to let the kids play and develop as Pros. Like I said a million times is Cashman was the Yankees GM Jeter would have never come up when he did. I know I would rather see Cabrara and Domingues than Broken down Bader and Hicks

You are speaking in a vacuum .

Hicks has three years left  on his Contract. They resigned IKF, Donaldson has a year left, Dominiquez is not a finished product, he needs time in the minors this season, he’s hardly played any games anywhere.

Volpe is not on the forty man roster, Peraza deserves a chance, so does Cabrera , there’s 162 games. Plenty of time to see the youngsters this season

On 3/14/2023 at 12:41 AM, Leftylarry said:

You are speaking in a vacuum .

Hicks has three years left  on his Contract. They resigned IKF, Donaldson has a year left, Dominiquez is not a finished product, he needs time in the minors this season, he’s hardly played any games anywhere.

Volpe is not on the forty man roster, Peraza deserves a chance, so does Cabrera , there’s 162 games. Plenty of time to see the youngsters this season

They need to eat the Hicks contract. If you want to give him 40 at bats in LF to start the season, okay. Go for it. But I wouldn't waste more than that, he is out of time and is a defensive liability at this point.

I would love to see them give Dominguez the CF job, I feel like some other teams do that. The Yankees take their time but they are moving these guys along. Hope we see Dominguez and Volpe in the majors sooner rather than later. This team needs their energy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This roster is talented but also terrible. Rodon is made of glass. The lineup has zero balance, doesnt hit for average & lacks a leadoff hitter. No stone cold RBI hitter. 

Total hodge-podge in the infield. 

No legit contender would consider a left field of Aaron Hicks and a mediocre at best prospect Oswalda Cabrera. 

Trades need to be made befoe the season and some guys need to be outright cut. Volpe might be the only reason to watch this team and they probably wont even put him on the roster because they are a bunch of dingbats. 

This team hasnt hit consistently for years. And they did nothing to subtract and add to it the past few offseasons. Its unreal. 

I wouldnt be surprised if this team struggled to make the postseason.

Somehow Cashman doesnt realize they were a .500 team in the 2nd half last year. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

They need to eat the Hicks contract. If you want to give him 40 at bats in LF to start the season, okay. Go for it. But I wouldn't waste more than that, he is out of time and is a defensive liability at this point.

I would love to see them give Dominguez the CF job, I feel like some other teams do that. The Yankees take their time but they are moving these guys along. Hope we see Dominguez and Volpe in the majors sooner rather than later. This team needs their energy.

Absolutely spot on. And with the veteran talent we have those kids will do much better in the majors imho.

Volpe should start the season at short .... Kiner Falefa would make a great utility player and Dominguez would be electric. Speed on the bases with both young players and Cabrara ..... We have let young players rot in the minors on Cashmans watch or just out right traded them and that crap needs to stop, Let DJ play 2nd and if theirs someone to trade its Torres  and for god sakes ship Donaldson the hell out of here or just dump him

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:36 AM, Smashmouth said:

Absolutely spot on. And with the veteran talent we have those kids will do much better in the majors imho.

Volpe should start the season at short .... Kiner Falefa would make a great utility player and Dominguez would be electric. Speed on the bases with both young players and Cabrara ..... We have let young players rot in the minors on Cashmans watch or just out right traded them and that crap needs to stop, Let DJ play 2nd and if theirs someone to trade its Torres  and for god sakes ship Donaldson the hell out of here or just dump him

I am surprised Torres wasn't traded. I don't see them signing him long term. If he gets back to his rookie form possibly. But early on it seemed like he hit 20 homers a year against the Orioles and was okay everywhere else.

Donaldson gets a short leash too. I think his bat could round back into form a little bit. .240 with 25 home runs. His glove is great.

The Yankees said the SS spot was an open competition.
Volpe has won it. By a wide margin. Will he play or are the Yankees going to once again destroy the morale of their prospects?
I hope they let him play. I can't take another season of IKFmerunning

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
15 minutes ago, Barton said:
Volpe has won it. By a wide margin. Will he play or are the Yankees going to once again destroy the morale of their prospects?

Bro, how many young players has this team destroyed the last few years? Only Judge has sustained because he's a self starter.

Everyone else has regressed or is borderline out of baseball.

This team has NO IDEA how to develop young talent. Cashman is so bad in so many ways. 

• Upvote 1

Bro, how many young players has this team destroyed the last few years? Only Judge has sustained because he's a self starter.
This team has NO IDEA how to develop young talent. Cashman is so bad in so many ways. 
Cashman also likes to hold on to prospects forever and by the time he's willing to move them they aren't worth nearly what they were becuase they didn't live up to expectations. It's maddening.
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am surprised Torres wasn't traded. I don't see them signing him long term. If he gets back to his rookie form possibly. But early on it seemed like he hit 20 homers a year against the Orioles and was okay everywhere else.

Donaldson gets a short leash too. I think his bat could round back into form a little bit. .240 with 25 home runs. His glove is great.

Torres should be traded for a pitching prospect.   He has value, his salary is still lower, he is a 2nd baseman who hits 260 with 20+ home runs.  The Yanks have a GLUT of middle infielders, DJ can play 2nd, and hopefully soon Volpe will be playing 2nd in NY.

Donaldson is unmovable, he is there for 1 more year, he still has a glove, and hopefully can rebound and hit 240ish.

• Upvote 1

Torres should be traded for a pitching prospect.   He has value, his salary is still lower, he is a 2nd baseman who hits 260 with 20+ home runs.  The Yanks have a GLUT of middle infielders, DJ can play 2nd, and hopefully soon Volpe will be playing 2nd in NY.
Donaldson is unmovable, he is there for 1 more year, he still has a glove, and hopefully can rebound and hit 240ish.
I would have traded him a few years ago.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Barton said:

I could see Peraza being the opening day SS, and Volpe becoming the every day 2B.   Only because Peraza has the better arm (from what I've read, I really haven't seen them throw side by side).

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, chirorob said:

I could see Peraza being the opening day SS, and Volpe becoming the every day 2B.   Only because Peraza has the better arm (from what I've read, I really haven't seen them throw side by side).

Peraza is the better SS, Volpe, probably the better player, the fact DJ is back 100% and poised for another clutch Yankee season, playing 135-140 games at 2nd, 3rd and first , Along with Gleyber still on the team and a 2 nd baseman, say’s Volpe is headed to triple A to start or Yankees are dumping JD and moving DJ Lemahieu to 3rd full time.

It’s  actually a good situation, if JD falters, he’s gone by June, Volpe is at second base , Peraza at SS , Gleyber traded if he’s having a good year , DJ at 3rd but I think Volpe is sent down to start.

we actually need a team to have an infielder go down and relieve us of JD or Gleyber early.

Im not even thinking about Cabrera because Yankees are crazy not giving him a shot as a regular  infielder somewhere .

Better find a left fielder soon because oswald Cabrera and Aaron hicks are shaky on defense and won’t hit either. Total idiocy in not offering benintendi 5 years. The guy is a ball player. Imagine if the lineup was volpe, benintendi, dj, judge, rizzo, Stanton. Now we are talking. 

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Better find a left fielder soon because oswald Cabrera and Aaron hicks are shaky on defense and won’t hit either. Total idiocy in not offering benintendi 5 years. The guy is a ball player. Imagine if the lineup was volpe, benintendi, dj, judge, rizzo, Stanton. Now we are talking. 

Imagine if the Martian is ready to come up next year.   Put him in left, Bader in center, Judge in right, Stanton as DH, occasional corner OF.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:13 AM, Barton said:

Judge has maintained because he was a slow starter lol. They couldn't hold him back because he didn't make it up there until he was like 25.

Dominguez and Volpe had amazing spring seasons. I get that Jason is only 20 so that might be extreme. But Volpe won this job. 

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

Imagine if the Martian is ready to come up next year.   Put him in left, Bader in center, Judge in right, Stanton as DH, occasional corner OF.

Martian is going to be ready this year.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Barton said:

Totally agree, it is the fielding and the bat. They need his kind of bat in the lineup. Average hitters, (hitting for average) would be nice to have one or two of them in the lineup besides DJ.

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, chirorob said:

He does seem to be the 2b of the future.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Totally agree, it is the fielding and the bat. They need his kind of bat in the lineup. Average hitters, (hitting for average) would be nice to have one or two of them in the lineup besides DJ.

Yup. And benintendi can run too. most of the Yankees from last year were slow besides IKF.

Also, why trade 3-4 prospects for him and let him walk to a 15 mill contract elsewhere? Huge mistake.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:00 AM, Maxman said:

Other teams fanbase are willing to finish last a se@son or two, Fed Sox do it all the time, Yankees for better or worse compete every season and they will get more from Dominguez after another season in minors, he is not a finished product.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Yup. And benintendi can run too. most of the Yankees from last year were slow besides IKF.

Also, why trade 3-4 prospects for him and let him walk to a 15 mill contract elsewhere? Huge mistake.

So,you are guaranteeing Benentendi has a healthy hand and his bat speed which is his best asset is back?

maybe, maybe not but a hamate bone is a funny injury, it can be nothing or something lingering and Yankees love Do I guess, Peireia and Spencer a Jones and all will be here, ready  in the next 2 years.

2 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

So,you are guaranteeing Benentendi has a healthy hand and his bat speed which is his best asset is back?

maybe, maybe not but a hamate bone is a funny injury, it can be nothing or something lingering and Yankees love Do I guess, Peireia and Spencer a Jones and all will be here, ready  in the next 2 years.

Ya ya all these prospects will be here in x years and not disappoint lol.  Heard that before. Yanks are a win now team, as well. 

So IMHO the Yankees should put this lineup in to start the season. Not a Batting order just who I think should be playing

1. Volpe 2b

2. Peraza SS

3. DJ Lemehieu 3b

4. Judge RF

5. Stanton DH

6. Rizzo 1b

7. Trevino/Higgy C

8. Cabrara LF

9 . Bader CF LOL   ... Dominguez yeah yeah I know the Yankees are allergic to young players.

Kiner Falefa - Utility Infield Playing him in Center is moronic .

I know people say Dominguez is not ready but he was tearing it up this spring and I would have at least had him start the season in Center because Hicks sucks balls and Bader may play 10 games this season. if he does not produce or severely struggles you just send him back down .He's got enough protection in the lineup to see some nice pitches to hit Sandwich him between Judge and Stanton/Rizzo and I think he will produce.

I would send Donaldson, Hicks and Torres packing and that should have been done a while ago. Some youth injected into this team would make them a lot more exciting and better on the bases with the speed they would Bring.

The Yankees and Idiot Brian Cashman make terrible veteran signings and then let them flounder rather than give the Young guys a chance.

We all know Donaldson will bat  .200 yet again Bader will be hurt all year but the kid who was batting 455 and leading the team in just about every category with only 3 strikeouts gets sent down :) Its bullsh*t they sent him down almost like they were afraid to make a damn decision . We have a good enough lineup to let that kid play 

• More Ugh 1