2023 Yankees Thread

Maxman

9 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

They will be lucky to back into the final wildcard spot in the AL.  Main reason Yankees are even that good now is Stick drafted Judge years ago

Stick was with the Yankees in 2013 at the age of 75?

So, Yankees win 4-6 on the West Coast.  Have Donaldson and Stanton back, JD hit 2 dingers and Stanton  hit 1 and showed some life in his bat, Bauers might end up Cashman’s best acquisition ever,  Volpe showing a propensity for the big HR , Gleyber and DJ both with more in the tank that will show up soon , aside from catcher, where neither, IMO are going to hit, think Yankees have potential to start scoring runs in bunches from here on in.

Yes, King, Holmes , Peralta and Kahnle should be enough bullpen, now it’s all about  the starting pitching.

Cole is pretty solid, 
Will the real Sevvy please stand up? Can Rodon return and get 100% by August ? Is Nestor in trouble or does he just need a few weeks of rehab and be back by July?

German and Schmidt may be very pleasant surprises but still think best case they are # 4-5 type starters on a WS type team.

Think Yankees will go as far as Rodon, Sevvy and Nestor can take them and all three are question marks right now?

Montas will get back for a cameo in September and who knows, maybe he can help .

Minor leagues? some interesting potential starters there but all seem at least 1 year away and doubt any can help this season , I can see Cashman making bother Montas type trade later in the season when somebody wants to dump salary on a starter, especially if Nestor needs surgery or long rest, his injury is sounding like Montas last year.

Man, the Rodon injury is a killer, a 1-2 punch with him and Cole changes everything.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

So, Yankees win 4-6 on the West Coast.  Have Donaldson and Stanton back, JD hit 2 dingers and Stanton  hit 1 and showed some life in his bat, Bauers might end up Cashman’s best acquisition ever,  Volpe showing a propensity for the big HR , Gleyber and DJ both with more in the tank that will show up soon , aside from catcher, where neither, IMO are going to hit, think Yankees have potential to start scoring runs in bunches from here on in.

Yes, King, Holmes , Peralta and Kahnle should be enough bullpen, now it’s all about  the starting pitching.

Cole is pretty solid, 
Will the real Sevvy please stand up? Can Rodon return and get 100% by August ? Is Nestor in trouble or does he just need a few weeks of rehab and be back by July?

German and Schmidt may be very pleasant surprises but still think best case they are # 4-5 type starters on a WS type team.

Think Yankees will go as far as Rodon, Sevvy and Nestor can take them and all three are question marks right now?

Montas will get back for a cameo in September and who knows, maybe he can help .

Minor leagues? some interesting potential starters there but all seem at least 1 year away and doubt any can help this season , I can see Cashman making bother Montas type trade later in the season when somebody wants to dump salary on a starter, especially if Nestor needs surgery or long rest, his injury is sounding like Montas last year.

Man, the Rodon injury is a killer, a 1-2 punch with him and Cole changes everything.

German is better when he doesn’t cheat

On 4/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

C128E39E-7D8A-4495-A9C9-B99B7AE6249A.jpeg

This dick bag has 1 WS in 24 years with the most money at his disposal in MLB ...If it were not for Gene Michael in the mid 90's we would be looking at a 46 year WS drought. This is easily the worst GM i9n all of baseball

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

German is better when he doesn’t cheat

Oh please 90% of pitchers are doing something illegal out there, all time greats too.

Let's face it when you get bombed and whack your common law wife in front of people from the Commissioners office, by definition , you aren't the brightest bulb in the room, Domingo did what everyone else does, tried to get a perceived edge ( or real) in his grip and how the ball comes out of his hand but he wasn't smart enough to cover it up like the others do.

In the end, hasn't hurt Cole who throws 98 without the crap on his hands anyway and won't hurt any of them really.

Domingo is a  #3 on a mediocre team, a solid #4-5 on a WS type team which we hope we can be, which means you need Cole, Rodon and Sevvy to be better than him, first.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:22 PM, Smashmouth said:

This dick bag has 1 WS in 24 years with the most money at his disposal in MLB ...If it were not for Gene Michael in the mid 90's we would be looking at a 46 year WS drought. This is easily the worst GM i9n all of baseball

I don’t think he’s that bad but I do consider cashman mediocre

This team is same ol BS from the last 6 years. Injuries and inconsistent offense with too many Ks. Are the yanks really gonna waste the prime years of Cole and Judge? There’s no sense of urgency to win it all anymore. Letting Benny walk over an extra year? Because you have some single A prospects with good numbers after 200 at bats? That showed me all I need to know. What an effing clown show this front office is. Judge told the yanks in the off-season that Benny was a must sign btw. 

2 hours ago, Barton said:

This team is same ol BS from the last 6 years. Injuries and inconsistent offense with too many Ks. Are the yanks really gonna waste the prime years of Cole and Judge? There’s no sense of urgency to win it all anymore. Letting Benny walk over an extra year? Because you have some single A prospects with good numbers after 200 at bats? That showed me all I need to know. What an effing clown show this front office is. Judge told the yanks in the off-season that Benny was a must sign btw. 

I liked Benetendi as well, but the fact is this year he is hitting 272 with no home runs, slugging an amazing 352.   That's in the 1st year of a 5 year contract.  Losing Benetendi is not the reason this team isn't playing well. 

Now, I hate Cashman as much as anyone, and this collection of high K, low contact injury prone players is 100% on him, but I wouldn't have given him a 5 year deal either.

• Upvote 1

We are struggling because Cashman’s biggest weakness by far is evaluating starting pitching.  This goes back a long time to Javier Vasquez, Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa to more recent busts like Sonny Gray and Frankie Montas

The Judge injury gives him an excuse next several years to not win a World Series 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

I liked Benetendi as well, but the fact is this year he is hitting 272 with no home runs, slugging an amazing 352.   That's in the 1st year of a 5 year contract.  Losing Benetendi is not the reason this team isn't playing well. 

Now, I hate Cashman as much as anyone, and this collection of high K, low contact injury prone players is 100% on him, but I wouldn't have given him a 5 year deal either.

Slugging is irrelevant for this team. That’s the point. This team needs table setters who get on base for the rbi hitters and hit for a good batting average, as well. Benny does both of those things. And he doesn’t strikeout. Perfect role player fit. Also has great defense. Yanks effed up. 

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Benintendi is the reason we are losing?  How about mediocre starting pitching, no closer and the MVP being injured

No. But it’s a microcosm of the Yankees failures to build a balanced lineup throughout the last 10 years. Benny helped balance the lineup via his skill set. 

This is so painful. How Cashman keeps surviving I just don't get. IKF is like his best move and that is saying a lot lol.

The lineup right now is disgusting. They have a kid SS at AAA murdering the ball. Make him a third basemen. Sure Donaldson is hitting some home runs but at some point isn't having all .200 hitters a bad thing?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is so painful. How Cashman keeps surviving I just don't get. IKF is like his best move and that is saying a lot lol.

The lineup right now is disgusting. They have a kid SS at AAA murdering the ball. Make him a third basemen. Sure Donaldson is hitting some home runs but at some point isn't having all .200 hitters a bad thing?

Volpe may go back down. 

He's hitting 185, and that's only because of a decent start.

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Volpe needs to sit.  IKF is the better player right now

Yankees turned Volpe , in the minors into an uppercut , fly ball hitter , not a good recipe for a diminutive type SS, he’s not Harmon Killerbrew, he’s need a more level swing , less HRs and the ability to scratch out a single when we desperately need a single to win a game or start a rally .

Best case here, I see a low average hitter with 20 plus HRs at SS, nice on the power side but another guy great in  the 10-2 games and a liability in the 2-1, 3-2 games, HR or nothing, this kid needs walks, singles, doubles and stolen bases , a hit , on base percentage not 15-25 HRs every season and a . 220 batting average , who needs that from a great base runner who can steal a million bases, then when nobody is looking bang he turns on a fastball and still gets his 15 plus dingers per season anyway, this is another organizational failure .

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don’t think you are winning a WS with Peraza as your third baseman, in the end, as DJ goes older and we trade Gleyber , Better with Perazza at SS and Vople at second base and you go out and sign a big time expensive still young power hitting third baseman, a Donaldson type but much younger when he was MVP material. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Yankees turned Volpe , in the minors into an uppercut , fly ball hitter , not a good recipe for a diminutive type SS, he’s not Harmon Killerbrew, he’s need a more level swing , less HRs and the ability to scratch out a single when we desperately need a single to win a game or start a rally .

Best case here, I see a low average hitter with 20 plus HRs at SS, nice on the power side but another guy great in  the 10-2 games and a liability in the 2-1, 3-2 games, HR or nothing, this kid needs walks, singles, doubles and stolen bases , a hit , on base percentage not 15-25 HRs every season and a . 220 batting average , who needs that from a great base runner who can steal a million bases, then when nobody is looking bang he turns on a fastball and still gets his 15 plus dingers per season anyway, this is another organizational failure .

He has a lot of speed and power but he doesn’t lay off enough pitches hence the low BA and high strikeouts 

19 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

I don’t think you are winning a WS with Peraza as your third baseman, in the end, as DJ goes older and we trade Gleyber , Better with Perazza at SS and Vople at second base and you go out and sign a big time expensive still young power hitting third baseman, a Donaldson type but much younger when he was MVP material. 

DJ is finished.  Another lousy cash man contract

Btw I know the Yankees are moving on from gleyber after this season but they need to revisit that idea.  DJ is done, Volpe isn’t ready, Donaldson is a joke.  

On 6/13/2023 at 7:13 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

DJ is finished.  Another lousy cash man contract

Btw I know the Yankees are moving on from gleyber after this season but they need to revisit that idea.  DJ is done, Volpe isn’t ready, Donaldson is a joke.  

Went to the game last night, DJ, fielded extremely well, hit an important HR and frankly, looked far from finished though he has been in a slump of late, like that is unusual in baseball.

As for Gleyber, every ground ball, pivot on the double play, tag and catch on a relay throw is an adventure, guy can hit but even then, it's limited, not a truly great hitter, just, for a Yankee, not a terrible one.

If today's new defensive 'STats' show GLeber as not in the bottom of second baseman , i will have even less respect for them than I did in recent past, Gleyber is very talented but something is missing upstairs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Went to the game last night, DJ, fielded extremely well, hit an important HR and frankly, looked far from finished though he has been in a slump of late, like that is unusual in baseball.

As for Gleyber, every ground ball, pivot on the double play, tag and catch on a relay throw is an adventure, guy can hit but even then, it's limited, not a truly great hitter, just, for a Yankee, not a terrible one.

If today's new defensive 'STats' show GLeber as not in the bottom of second baseman , i will have even less respect for them than I did in recent past, Gleyber is very talented but something is missing upstairs.

DJ, Volpe etc actually did something last night which is why they won.  

The problem with letting gleyber walk is what do you replace him with?  DJ full time at 2nd? Then who is playing third?