A.I. is B.S.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I didn't watch this. What is the premise, why is it BS?

Short answer:   What these tech companies have released of late is not “AI”, it’s imitation technology.  It’s built on a probabilistic linguistics algorithm designed to trick dumb people into thinking its outputs resemble human thought.  

It also rips off the artists and creators whose content is being plagiarized and converted into “word salad” that looks like original content but really isn’t. 

The above should be obvious to any non-simpleton who read this thread, lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Short answer:   What these tech companies have releases of late is not “AI”, it’s imitation technology.  It’s built on a probabilistic linguistics algorithm designed to trick dumb people into thinking its outputs resemble human thought.  

It also rips off the artists and creators whose content is being plagiarized and converted into “word salad” that looks like original content but really isn’t. 

The above should be obvious to any non-simpleton who read this thread, lol:

Good synopsis 

• Post of the Week 1

I can't watch this obnoxious dickhead. He's apparently a comedian and is using the bing and google AI to formulate his dumbass opinion. The bing and google AI tools are orders of magnitude behind GPT 4 and are total garbage compared to it. 

It's like ordering a wish.com smart phone and then making a video complaining all smart phones are garbage because your wish.com version is trash. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I can't watch this obnoxious dickhead. He's apparently a comedian and is using the bing and google AI to formulate his dumbass opinion. The bing and google AI tools are orders of magnitude behind GPT 4 and are total garbage compared to it. 

It's like ordering a wish.com smart phone and then making a video complaining all smart phones are garbage because your wish.com version is trash. 

OK but these orgs are still churning out sh*t products and it's causing problems.  That point is undeniable.

However, he should have indeed brought up GPT 4 as a separate item rather than painting it all with the same brush.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK but these orgs are still churning out sh*t products and it's causing problems.  That point is undeniable.

However, he should have indeed brought up GPT 4 as a separate item rather than painting it all with the same brush.

I couldn't stand listening to the guy for long enough to get to his point about sh*t products.

• Haha 1

This mirrors a lot of what we're seeing in college. Myself and most colleagues that have played around with it have found the same results. If we ask it a basic short answer question that a student would see on an exam for an intro course, it almost always gives at least a B answer. If we ask it to do some deep critical thinking and to elaborate on things, which is what students would see after the intro-level stuff, it can't. The program essentially just jumbles sentences together and writes things that don't make sense. Word salad is actually an excellent way to put it. 

That said I'm sure within 5-10 years the nerds figure it out.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

boston dynamics 80s GIF

Going to have to stock up on Plasma Rifles, preferably in the 40 Watt Range.

I actually think the revolution is going to be way more boring. Like, the thing is going to figure out how to make a ton of money off of Apple dividends or something, buy up a bunch of real estate, and then tax the sh*t out of all of us. 

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

This mirrors a lot of what we're seeing in college. Myself and most colleagues that have played around with it have found the same results. If we ask it a basic short answer question that a student would see on an exam for an intro course, it almost always gives at least a B answer. If we ask it to do some deep critical thinking and to elaborate on things, which is what students would see after the intro-level stuff, it can't. The program essentially just jumbles sentences together and writes things that don't make sense. Word salad is actually an excellent way to put it. 

That said I'm sure within 5-10 years the nerds figure it out.

Yes but it is going to happen in less than 5 years.

The current stuff out there,. Lot of it is garbage. The Open AI stuff is amazing.

There are a bunch of graphic editors that are so bad there are comical.

Bard by Google leaves a bunch to be desired. They will close quick and when they do that is another game changer.

Once Google integrates it and replaces assistant the landscape is going to change fast. You'll no longer have word based prompts in your car with Android auto. You'll have actual conversation saying hey look up that text so sent me it was three or four messages ago.

Everything starts to change then because it will be a true assistant. Asking it how to reply to a message and getting real suggestions.

Those are going to be game changers integrated into daily life.

Right now GPT4 is amazing, beyond amazing. Once something on that level becomes seamless and integrated everywhere, wow.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2023 at 11:33 PM, Maxman said:

Yes but it is going to happen in less than 5 years.

The current stuff out there,. Lot of it is garbage. The Open AI stuff is amazing.

There are a bunch of graphic editors that are so bad there are comical.

Bard by Google leaves a bunch to be desired. They will close quick and when they do that is another game changer.

Once Google integrates it and replaces assistant the landscape is going to change fast. You'll no longer have word based prompts in your car with Android auto. You'll have actual conversation saying hey look up that text so sent me it was three or four messages ago.

Everything starts to change then because it will be a true assistant. Asking it how to reply to a message and getting real suggestions.

Those are going to be game changers integrated into daily life.

Right now GPT4 is amazing, beyond amazing. Once something on that level becomes seamless and integrated everywhere, wow.

GPT 5 is probably going to come out this year too.

• Upvote 1