Lawson reworks contract, frees 2023 cap space

On 5/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Two words:  Mo Wilkerson.

Quinnen seems to be showing a lot of grievance about not getting paid.  Guys like that usually disappear when they do. 

Mo Wilkerson was not nearly as good as Quinnen.  Quinnen is one of the 3 best defensive tackles in the NFL, which includes Aaron Donald.  Quinnen is only 25 years old.  This is the time for Quinnen to fight for the best contract he can get.  He will get at at minimum, $100M over 4 years.  And he very well may get more than that!

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Two words:  Mo Wilkerson.

Quinnen seems to be showing a lot of grievance about not getting paid.  Guys like that usually disappear when they do. 

I understand the concern, but Wilkerson was a bum even when he was actually fit compared to what QW brings to the defense.  

QW would be a top 8 DT even if he wasn’t in the best shape.  If he continues to get better, he will be the best if not quite there just yet.  Brothers on the same team also reduces my doubts about them working out hard.

There isn’t much downside to paying him… 

When it comes to Lawson, the paycut part was good and honestly a necessity for him to merit staying, but JD also continues to push more and more money into future years with virtually every move he makes, which is hardly reassuring.

This year really better be a home run or JD's NFL career may be done in a heartbeat, as he's been heavily mortgaging the team's future, which is the ultimate high risk/high reward path for any GM.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

When it comes to Lawson, the paycut part was good and honestly a necessity for him to merit staying, but JD also continues to push more and more money into future years with virtually every move he makes, which is hardly reassuring.

This year really better be a home run or JD's NFL career may be done in a heartbeat, as he's been heavily mortgaging the team's future, which is the ultimate high risk/high reward path for any GM.

I mean, I absolutely agree the wins need to come this year, but as for the bold, you certainly can mortgage the future a bit when you have a strong young core (Sauce/Garrett Wilson/QW/AVT/DJ Reed/Breece/etc).  

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I understand the concern, but Wilkerson was a bum even when he was actually fit compared to what QW brings to the defense. 

A bum?  That's a bit of revisionist history, no?  He showed a capability of playing anywhere on the DL and had two double digit sack, 2+ FF seasons (2nd Team All-Pro both years) prior to the extension.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A bum?  That's a bit of revisionist history, no?  He showed a capability of playing anywhere on the DL and had two double digit sack, 2+ FF seasons (2nd Team All-Pro both years) prior to the extension.

Exaggeration.  I don’t remember Wilk being thaaaaat good.   

Quinnen Willams was a DPOY candidate.  

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, I absolutely agree the wins need to come this year, but as for the bold, you certainly can mortgage the future a bit when you have a strong young core (Sauce/Garrett Wilson/QW/AVT/DJ Reed/Breece/etc).  

I don't totally disagree, but it's still risky and a number of those guys you mentioned will be looking for their paydays while many former Jets are still on the books.

There's enough creative accounting in the NFL that it may not be impossible to manage, as long as things go well. But if they don't, it'll be tough to ignore that this move has mostly been done with many of the team's most overpaid under-performers.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Exaggeration.  I don’t remember Wilk being thaaaaat good.   

Quinnen Willams was a DPOY candidate.  

He was.....I remember the same conversation about Mo.  'We have to extend him!'

Good times.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:03 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I think it's the top 51 that counts against the cap. So the rookies that'll account for cap space would include Tippmann, McDonald and Warren. Zack Kuntz has bonified practice squad players over him.

Top 51 in the offseason, top 53 when week 1 rolls around