Lawson reworks contract, frees 2023 cap space

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Two words:  Mo Wilkerson.

Quinnen seems to be showing a lot of grievance about not getting paid.  Guys like that usually disappear when they do. 

This is strictly business. When you're on a rookie deal and you know the market says you're worth 100m, you do what you have to do. regardless of how the contract ages and how he performs once he gets it, I don't think you can blame the kid. He has the opportunity to create generational wealth, nobody knows if he'll ever be in the position again. He has to do it now, I'm not faulting him at all for doing what he's doing. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Interesting.  I thought the stockpiling DEs meant they were going to cut him.

He gets pressure and seems like the perfect locker room guy.  

he's a great guy to have in your locker room.  jd is doing his job - making more $ available for the signings we need to get done   ;)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Rodgers reworked deal still needs to be finalized you'd think. Structuring a Q deal with Rodgers temporary cap numbers not settled would make things a bit tricky.

The Saints paid Carr new money with negative cap space. This isn’t a valid excuse for JD 

19 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Quinnen seems to be showing a lot of grievance about not getting paid.  Guys like that usually disappear when they do. 

My thoughts exactly.  One side of his mouth... IM A TEAM GUY.  Out of the other side.  IM NOT GOING TO COME AROUND UNLESS I GET WHAT I WANT.

Obviously, a top tier talent... When he feels like it.

I would offer him backloaded contract.  See if he cares to bet on himself.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 4

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

My thoughts exactly.  One side of his mouth... IM A TEAM GUY.  Out of the other side.  IM NOT GOING TO COME AROUND UNLESS I GET WHAT I WANT.

Obviously, a top tier talent... When he feels like it.

I would offer him backloaded contract.  See if he cares to bet on himself.  

Kinda with you on this.  

• Upvote 2

Looks like Lawson took a pay cut in return for some guaranteed cash this year.

He had to feel vulnerable with his salary, and the cap savings the Jets would make if they cut him.

Now, he gets some security for the year and the Jets get to keep him for a much lower cap number.

• Upvote 4

1. Smart move by both sides, otherwise Lawson could have been cut.  This is an example of the McDonald pick paying instant dividends because it gave the Jets leverage

2. Joe D understands the market and plays the timing game well.  The 2023 market for Edges has pretty much passed, or is a lot weaker now post draft than at the start of free agency

3. I love incentives, make him earn it .. win win if you give him some more upside for premium performance 

4. The math doesn’t add up.  Is the $8M a salary or a guaranteed bonus spread over multiple years?

5. Bringing in my friend @Sperm Edwards … the Jets should ask the same of CJ Mosley who is paid well above market at $17M salary.  I don’t think any player, especially a middle linebacker, should be immune to a contract restructuring if he is that far above the going market rate

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

How many pro bowls did Revis make after his 2010 extended hold out?

How did Aaron donald do after a bitter hold out in 2018?

• Upvote 3

I believe that puts us at close to $20mil of cap space now, with Mosely and Corey Davis restructures coming. A major addition or two is not off the table as we head into camp. Kwon seems like a given… could the Jets enter the Hopkins sweepstakes? Austin Ekeler? Budda Baker?

JD was about to offer Orlando Brown a big contract and was in on OBJ until the number got ridiculous. I wouldn’t rule anything out

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Larz said:

So they are at $19 million in space now.

Assuming $8 million for the rookies and $10 million for in season injury replacements, they have $1 million to work with. Baby steps 

Only the top 53 players count against the cap.  Assuming all 7 rookies make the 53 they'll cost $8.6 million against the cap. They'll be replacing 7 players currently on the 53 man roster that are already counting against the cap so you have to deduct those 7 players salaries from the current cap number. It depends on which existing players get replaced by the rookies but on average those salaries will be around $1 million each.  So really to sign all of the rookies the Jets need around $2 million in cap space.  So after the rookies are signed the Jets will go from $19 million in cap space to $17 million.  

Also $10 million is way too much to save for players they may bring in during the season. Most players come in on vet minimum deals if they're signed during the year. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

5. Bringing in my friend @Sperm Edwards … the Jets should ask the same of CJ Mosley who is paid well above market at $17M salary.  I don’t think any player, especially a middle linebacker, should be immune to a contract restructuring if he is that far above the going market rate

$17 million is 5th highest in the league in 2023 and a little higher then the median for the top 10 highest paid MLB's. I don't think he's as grossly overpaid as you may think. That positions value is skyrocketing. Since 2021 4 MLBs have been given bigger contracts and the trend is accelerating. 

• Upvote 3

Should we be concerned at the amount of money that has been pushed into future years.  The Jets have reworked every single big contract they have outside of Corey Davis. A lot of money pushed to future years and a lot of void years added. 

This includes:

Carl Lawson

Alan Lazard

JFM

CJ Mosely

Duane Brown

Uzomah

Conklin

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Only the top 53 players count against the cap.  Assuming all 7 rookies make the 53 they'll cost $8.6 million against the cap. They'll be replacing 7 players currently on the 53 man roster that are already counting against the cap so you have to deduct those 7 players salaries from the current cap number. It depends on which existing players get replaced by the rookies but on average those salaries will be around $1 million each.  So really to sign all of the rookies the Jets need around $2 million in cap space.  So after the rookies are signed the Jets will go from $19 minion in cap space to $17 million.  

Also $10 million is way too much to save for players they may bring in during the season. Most players come in on vet minimum deals if they're signed during the year. 

I think it's the top 51 that counts against the cap. So the rookies that'll account for cap space would include Tippmann, McDonald and Warren. Zack Kuntz has bonified practice squad players over him.