Rodgers sharpening the defense

On 7/5/2023 at 4:58 AM, jgb said:

Statistics warp reality? I trust numbers a lot more than subjective eye tests.

A man is on a boat out at sea with his friend.

Friend: “you want to go for a swim?”

Man: “No way, I’m not risking a shark attack!”

Friend: “90% of all shark attacks occur within 100 yards of the shore “

Man: “Yeah that’s because that’s where all the people are”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

A man is on a boat out at sea with his friend.

Friend: “you want to go for a swim?”

Man: “No way, I’m not risking a shark attack!”

Friend: “90% of all shark attacks occur within 100 yards of the shore “

Man: “Yeah that’s because that’s where all the people are”

147% of people who post on messageboards don’t understand statistics 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seems low 

Speaking of statistics, remember the old Ivory Soap tagline? “99.44 percent pure?” That’s all well and good but what is the 0.56%? If it is cyanide, you’re dead.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Speaking of statistics, remember the old Ivory Soap tagline? “99.44 percent pure?” That’s all well and good but what is the 0.56%? If it is cyanide, you’re dead.

"Kills 99.9 % of germs"

Yeah?  Well what about the 0.1 % of mutated SUPER GERMS that survived and were left behind to breed MORE super germs, huh???

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Kills 99.9 % of germs"

Yeah?  Well what about the 0.1 % of mutated SUPER GERMS that survived and were left behind to breed MORE super germs, huh???

You’ve basically summed up why anti-microbial soaps and sprays are not for daily use.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Never made any sense. "Pure" literally means 100%. 

Cyanide is natural, by the way. It's probably sitting in a bowl on your kitchen counter or fridge.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Never made any sense. "Pure" literally means 100%. 

Cyanide is natural, by the way. It's probably sitting in a bowl on your kitchen counter or fridge.

That’s another thing. People equate “natural” with healthy. Well homo erectus lived in a 100% natural environment and their life expectancy was 20 years.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

That’s another thing. People equate “natural” with healthy. Well homo erectus lived in a 100% natural environment and their life expectancy was 20 years.

Speaking of stupid slogans for products, "Secret" deodorant claiming to "pH balanced" was always so stupid to me. It's just there to sound all scientificy to idiots. Also there was a motor oil commercial I remember that claimed it "fought viscosity and thermal breakdown". Yeah. No sh*t. I bet that sounds fancy if you're a moron.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Speaking of stupid slogans for products, "Secret" deodorant claiming to "pH balanced" was always so stupid to me. It's just there to sound all scientificy to idiots. Also there was a motor oil commercial I remember that claimed it "fought viscosity and thermal breakdown". Yeah. No sh*t. I bet that sounds fancy if you're a moron.

“Made for a woman, strong enough for a man.” It’s literally the same crap with a different fragrance. This discussion has the makings of a thread in the lounge…