Run Blocking

10 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Becton and Ruckert are NASTY in the run game.  Watched them closely last night, rewinding several times.  Encourage you guys to watch in the thread that shows all their plays.  

If healthy, Becton’s floor is a near dominant run blocker and mediocre pass blocker who will struggle against speed & sometimes motor.

Ruckert has very good technique and excellent aggression / finishing.

It would be hard to find 3 better run blocking combos at Tackle & TE in the League.  Im sure they’re out there but that is the potential that our guys have.  They now have to show it consistently.   

Yep. Becton pancakes people in the run game. The thing many seem to be forgetting is pass protection is also dependent on the QBs ability to get rid of the ball.  I don’t think becton will need to do much more than hold his guy back for a three count.  And if their run game is in gear then teams will think twice about sending pass rushers since they’ll have to protect the run.  Like it or not I think this team will be more ground and pound than some sort of aerial circus.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yep. Becton pancakes people in the run game. The thing many seem to be forgetting is pass protection is also dependent on the QBs ability to get rid of the ball.  I don’t think becton will need to do much more than hold his guy back for a three count.  And if their run game is in gear then teams will think twice about sending pass rushers since they’ll have to protect the run.  Like it or not I think this team will be more ground and pound than some sort of aerial circus.

Based on the play calling last night a heavy run game with multiple TE usage in play action is definitely being worked in. Scoring 3 red zone TD's to the TE's off of play action was very efficient and a good base start to what our O is becoming. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Love that ground and pound!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, CSNY said:

Love that ground and pound!!!!!

I'm someone who actually does love the ground and pound offense.  I'm not saying it would win (at least I don't think it can "win big") in the modern NFL but I do enjoy that style of football.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm someone who actually does love the ground and pound offense.  I'm not saying it would win (at least I don't think it can "win big") in the modern NFL but I do enjoy that style of football.  

I’m fine with ground and pound when the QB is Aaron Rodgers. Because just like waiting in line at a busy buffet.. it’s just a matter of time because you know it’s gonna be hot and good when you get it, 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not just getting the ball out on time but also, presnap adjustments.  Rodgers is going to make the right presnaps reads and the right adjustments at the OL that this team has lacked severely over the years.  That's a huge help when it comes to pass pro.

The team is going to be balanced for sure.  The last time Hackett and Rodgers were together it was roughly a 60/40 pass to run.  What will be interesting to see is how they use the RB's.  In GB, they werent just ground and pound, they were used heavily in the passing game.  They also took about 75% of their plays from the Shotgun formation.  So be interesting to see the utilization between what looks like could be a very dynamic 3-4 headed monster in the backfield. 

Good points. I think maybe ground and pound has morphed into running mixed in with short passes.  I think we’ll see many receivers in space whether they be wrs, rbs or tes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I’m fine with ground and pound when the QB is Aaron Rodgers. Because just like waiting in line at a busy buffet.. it’s just a matter of time because you know it’s gonna be hot and good when you get it, 

I have a sneaking suspicion that when I wrote "ground and pound", you read it as "Ground Round"

Places we loved on Long Island | The ground round, Island, Long island ny

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’m fine with ground and pound when the QB is Aaron Rodgers. Because just like waiting in line at a busy buffet.. it’s just a matter of time because you know it’s gonna be hot and good when you get it

Is this code-speak for Zach Wilson's mom?

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Good points. I think maybe ground and pound has morphed into running mixed in with short passes.  I think we’ll see many receivers in space whether they be wrs, rbs or tes.

I think that's fair, the short pass game, especially to RB's, is very much an extension of the running game and it looks like all of them can contribute from that perspective.  I could honestly see any of the 3 sliding into the #2 behind Hall once he's back full time.  Pretty exciting to see what happens from that perspective. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Not just getting the ball out on time but also, presnap adjustments.  Rodgers is going to make the right presnaps reads and the right adjustments at the OL that this team has lacked severely over the years.  That's a huge help when it comes to pass pro.

The team is going to be balanced for sure.  The last time Hackett and Rodgers were together it was roughly a 60/40 pass to run.  What will be interesting to see is how they use the RB's.  In GB, they werent just ground and pound, they were used heavily in the passing game.  They also took about 75% of their plays from the Shotgun formation.  So be interesting to see the utilization between what looks like could be a very dynamic 3-4 headed monster in the backfield. 

Good point on presnap reads. O-line still had problems, but it’s impossible when the qb has little idea on reading the keys and making adjustments appropriately. Some if it also looked real bad because of the drop and timing issues being so off post snap and not accurately going with the hot option in time. Or situational football by not yoloing balls or taking awful sacks when they are in red zone costing points. 

Teams stacked the box against Zach last year as well. Miami games immediately come to mind where this was so apparent. Can’t do that against Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Becton and Ruckert are NASTY in the run game.  Watched them closely last night, rewinding several times.  Encourage you guys to watch in the thread that shows all their plays.  

If healthy, Becton’s floor is a near dominant run blocker and mediocre pass blocker who will struggle against speed & sometimes motor.

Ruckert has very good technique and excellent aggression / finishing.

It would be hard to find 3 better run blocking combos at Tackle & TE in the League.  Im sure they’re out there but that is the potential that our guys have.  They now have to show it consistently.   

The one benefit to Becton's pass pro is the length of his stride. His kick slide is longer than most OTs. That length can help in part neutralize speed rushers.