Enter, Sandman?

SlugORama99

Lets try and make sense next time, ok?

And yeah, AFJ was right...they did it in honor of victims of 9/11.

Thats 2 against 1, you lose dickhead.

Playa Please. 2 retards NEVER trump 1 alpha male genius.

And, if New York New York was played to honor 9/11 victims and not to rub it in the face of the Yankees, then I am a GiraffeTurtleFish!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, if New York New York was played to honor 9/11 victims and not to rub it in the face of the Yankees, then I am a GiraffeTurtleFish!

When was that last game played? Do you think they would rub it in days after 9/11? You are a clueless dewbag.

Ps... Luis Gonzalez = Roids

Um, the WS was played in November that year, because of the time off in September. And yes, I think anyone playing the Yankees, winners of 4 WS titles in the past 5 years (back in '01,) would rub it in. They were so obvious about it that it wasnt even funny. Dont you retards remember the looks on the faces of Torre, Jetes and O'Neil?

And why play it right after a loss?

and why that song? The ONE SONG they play immediately after Yankee voctories at the Stadium?

Why not the national anthem again at the end??? Why not God Bless America? Or Amer. the Beautiful? Or anything else for that matter???

In many ways, the Yankees then (and now) symbolize everything that is wrong with America, so it was a victory over all that is horrible abotu America and a victory for the side of all that is WONDERFUL about America. Luckily the latter outweighs the former.

Um, the WS was played in November that year, because of the time off in September. And yes, I think anyone playing the Yankees, winners of 4 WS titles in the past 5 years (back in '01,) would rub it in. They were so obvious about it that it wasnt even funny. Dont you retards remember the looks on the faces of Torre, Jetes and O'Neil?

and why that song? The ONE SONG they play immediately after Yankee voctories at the Stadium?

Why not the national anthem again at the end??? Why not God Bless America? Or Amer. the Beautiful? Or anything else for that matter???

In many ways, the Yankees then (and now) symbolize everything that is wrong with America, so it was a victory over all that is horrible abotu America and a victory for the side of all that is WONDERFUL about America. Luckily the latter outweighs the former.

You are clueless. They Played "New York,New york" as a tribute to the people who died in the WTC. Your wild homerism is blinding you.

I watched the game....Did you? I doubt it.

See what happens when you mess with karma, you Jealous petty little met fans?

Wagner wants to laugh about stealing Mo's song, well who's laughing now?

Wagner wants to tweak the the Great Mo Rivera and steal his calling card in this town, enter sandman ... fine by me, but Wagner just learned his first lesson about failing to show the proper respect to an immortal, how it comes back to bite you in the @$$, and you can mark this down, so long as this wannabe who cannot even shine Mariano's cleets keeps using BIG MO'S SONG, he is in for the worse season of his life

last nite was one small signal from the baseball gods

LOSE MARIANO'S SONG OR SUFFER DIRE CONSEQUENCES:cloudy:

Consider last nite a warning shot across his bow, and he better heed that warning or he will go down in history as the biggest bust in Mets history, even bigger than Armando Benitez, cause you don't mess with the karma of an NYY immortal and live to tell about it

Take it for what it's worth, Met fans, but don't say you weren't warned

If this wannabe clown doesn't ditch Mariano's song, AND FAST, you Met fans are gonna be lookin back at the Armando Benitez era as THE GOOD OLD DAYS

If you could be serious for just one minute. Would you mind explaining the thought process behind personal attacks on a message board based simply on the fact that somebody doesn't share the same opinion as you? My understanding is that you're a school teacher? You teach children for a living? Yet as an adult with what most would consider an admirable profession that would require a certain degree of maturity, you regularly behave quite the opposite. So I'm noty trying to be a smartass, I'm serioulsy wondering what goes through the mind of an adult "professional" who gets on a message board and gets in to name calling. Not that it would be 100% right, but I could at the very least see the motive behind it if somebody were to throw the first stone or make a clear attempt to incite that type of behavior.

If you're not capable of being a serious, grown adult for the sake of discussion, disregard the above question and carry on with the name calling and personal attacks.

Yeah, all of MLB was clamoring for Rafeal Santana when the Yankees stole him away:yawn:

AFJ-Do you DENY that Steinbrenner had a hard-on for former Met players of the 80's?

This was all coincidence that these players were collected by Georgie, like a boy collects bugs?

You don't recall that?

Y&ankee fans want to claim that everything baseball related pertains to them, and that everyone "copies" them, but point a simple fact out, and theselective amnesia sets in.

AFJ-Do you DENY that Steinbrenner had a hard-on for former Met players of the 80's?

This was all coincidence that these players were collected by Georgie, like a boy collects bugs?

You don't recall that?

Y&ankee fans want to claim that everything baseball related pertains to them, and that everyone "copies" them, but point a simple fact out, and theselective amnesia sets in.

I never said "everyone" copies the Yankees...just the Mets. Copying roll call and the grounds crew is just weak IMO. I'd be pissed if I went to the stadium this year and an apple popped up from behind the CF wall when a Yankee hit a HR. I would think Mets fans with any sense of pride or individuality would frown upon those Met fans who are copying what the Yankees are doing.

And you say "all these players" How many decent Met players went from the Mets to the Yankees (and I don't mean Darryl who played with two or three teams in between) in the late 80s? There may have been some prior to '87 (which is when I started watching baseball) that I don't recall but from there on, there's no player that comes to mind as being a great Met player who the Yankees signed. Gooden? He had a little left in the tank and sometimes I think Steinbrenner keeps giving these ex-mets a chance to say "look, they're not even our guys but we'll give em a shot before the mets will" Definitely some rivalry stuff going on there.

Even if you did include Darryl since the Yankees were bidding on his services before he signed with LA what does that have to do with him being a Met? The guy was one of the best young hitters in the game and that swing in Yankee stadium would have been lethal. George would have tried to sign him no matter what team he played for.

So as far as I can remember there was Gooden (when he was clearly past his prime) Rafeal Santana who was a so-so player that filled a need for the Yankees, Straw (after he'd played for the Dodgers and Giants)...who else? Tim Burke? Neill Allen?

I never said "everyone" copies the Yankees...just the Mets. Copying roll call and the grounds crew is just weak IMO. I'd be pissed if I went to the stadium this year and an apple popped up from behind the CF wall when a Yankee hit a HR. I would think Mets fans with any sense of pride or individuality would frown upon those Met fans who are copying what the Yankees are doing.

And you say "all these players" How many decent Met players went from the Mets to the Yankees (and I don't mean Darryl who played with two or three teams in between) in the late 80s? There may have been some prior to '87 (which is when I started watching baseball) that I don't recall but from there on, there's no player that comes to mind as being a great Met player who the Yankees signed. Gooden? He had a little left in the tank and sometimes I think Steinbrenner keeps giving these ex-mets a chance to say "look, they're not even our guys but we'll give em a shot before the mets will" Definitely some rivalry stuff going on there.

Even if you did include Darryl since the Yankees were bidding on his services before he signed with LA what does that have to do with him being a Met? The guy was one of the best young hitters in the game and that swing in Yankee stadium would have been lethal. George would have tried to sign him no matter what team he played for.

So as far as I can remember there was Gooden (when he was clearly past his prime) Rafeal Santana who was a so-so player that filled a need for the Yankees, Straw (after he'd played for the Dodgers and Giants)...who else? Tim Burke? Neill Allen?

Unless he wants to count David Cone..

Cone, Gooden, Strawberry, Ojeda, Orosco, Santana......

Yeah, Steinbrenner was not smitten with teh 80's mets.

Geez

Please tell me you're joking.

If you don't remember this period of time, don't blame me.

Steinbrenner was smitten with evrything that was the 80's Mets, and lured anyone to his team during the early 90's as an attraction.

This was obvioius at the time and well written about.

Sorry if that has burst a bubble for you guys.

If you don't remember this period of time, don't blame me.

Steinbrenner was smitten with evrything that was the 80's Mets, and lured anyone to his team during the early 90's as an attraction.

This was obvioius at the time and well written about.

Sorry if that has burst a bubble for you guys.

Ok, name them.

If all you have is Rafael Santana, then stop. Ojeda, was what on the team in 94 for about 15 minutes? Orosco was on the team a few years ago. COne came from Toronto. COne's remembered as a Yankee now anyways.

You ever notice how many players switch teams in NY? Whether it be the Yanks, Mets, Giants and Jets. It happens all the time.

Ok, name them.

If all you have is Rafael Santana, then stop. Ojeda, was what on the team in 94 for about 15 minutes? Orosco was on the team a few years ago. COne came from Toronto. COne's remembered as a Yankee now anyways.

You ever notice how many players switch teams in NY? Whether it be the Yanks, Mets, Giants and Jets. It happens all the time.

Matt-It was well discussed in NY, how enamored Steibrenner was with the Mets of the 80's. The reason was, quite logically, they stole the town from him. And New York was enraptured with that team.

While the Yankees were still struggling in teh early 90's, Steinbrenner took it upon himself to try and recapture something that NY loved in the 80's. Not a stupid marketing ploy.

It was well written about, Obviously, some of you have selective memories

Matt-It was well discussed in NY, how enamored Steibrenner was with the Mets of the 80's. The reason was, quite logically, they stole the town from him. And New York was enraptured with that team.

While the Yankees were still struggling in teh early 90's, Steinbrenner took it upon himself to try and recapture something that NY loved in the 80's. Not a stupid marketing ploy.

It was well written about, Obviously, some of you have selective memories

If your argument is that George was enamored with the 86 Mets because they won, thats fine and you're right. WHat good owner wouldn't be jealous of success?

If your argument is that George was so infacuated with the Mets that he had to go out and sign Rafael Santana and Bobby Ojeda, then thats a little absurd.

If your argument is that George was enamored with the 86 Mets because they won, thats fine and you're right. WHat good owner wouldn't be jealous of success?

If your argument is that George was so infacuated with the Mets that he had to go out and sign Rafael Santana and Bobby Ojeda, then thats a little absurd.

Matt-Think about it-Why else did he sign Santana, Mazzilli, Ojeda? Because they were great baseball players and would contribute? You believe that?

I can understand Gooden, Strawberry and Cone-They were still decent playsres and you can argue it from a talent point.

But it all was a little transparent, and I don't blame him for what he was doing.

It just embarrasses Yankee fans a bit, as it seems.

It's ok guys.

Matt-Think about it-Why else did he sign Santana, Mazzilli, Ojeda? Because they were great baseball players and would contribute? You believe that?

I can understand Gooden, Strawberry and Cone-They were still decent playsres and you can argue it from a talent point.

But it all was a little transparent, and I don't blame him for what he was doing.

It just embarrasses Yankee fans a bit, as it seems.

It's ok guys.

Whyd the Mets sign Lee Gutterman, Cairo and Karim Garcia?

Whyd the Mets sign Lee Gutterman, Cairo and Karim Garcia?

Matt-All I can do is tell you what the history was, and how it was written and interpreted at the time. It was no secret.

I don't know how old you are, but maybe you were too young at that time to know what was going on.

If this somehow hurts you, fine, bury your head in the sand and pretend it didn't happen.

Matt-All I can do is tell you what the history was, and how it was written and interpreted at the time. It was no secret.

I don't know how old you are, but maybe you were too young at that time to know what was going on.

If this somehow hurts you, fine, bury your head in the sand and pretend it didn't happen.

You still havent explained what was going on. With Steinbrenner signing Bobby Ojeda for a few games he was trying to recapture the glory days of the 86 Mets? I might as well say thats why the Mets hired Willie.

You still havent explained what was going on. With Steinbrenner signing Bobby Ojeda for a few games he was trying to recapture the glory days of the 86 Mets? I might as well say thats why the Mets hired Willie.

Matt-Garcia, Cairo, Gutterman-Those players were not important cogs in a great winning team, like Sntana, Gooden Straw, Mazzilli etc were.

Your argument does not carry water there.

You have a point with Randolph and many Met fans were against it for just that reason.

Steinbrenner cherry picked Met matinee idols to help him during some down times. SMART MOVE BY HIM. He knew that there were fans in the city that were getting turned off by teh Mets, and he figured he could get them to jum bandwagons.

Just don't deny it.

Cone, Gooden, Strawberry, Ojeda, Orosco, Santana......

Yeah, Steinbrenner was not smitten with teh 80's mets.

Geez

Dude, you can not be serious with that list...christ I thought you wanted to have an actual legitimate baseball discussion and you're bringing up the fact that Steinbrenner went out and got some quality players who wore a Mets uniform at one time?

David Cone? After he pitched with KC after the Mets and the Yankee traded for him in the middle of a penant race. You honestly believe Steinbrenner looked at Cone and said..."oohhhh, I can get a late 80's New York Met on my roster"? Come on man, get real.

Straw was a perfect fit for Yankee stadium which makes it a logical move. I honestly believe you're allowing your disdain for the yankees to cloud your judgement.

Bobby O-frigginJeda? Good god what a joke. Mazilli? Didn't he play for the Yankees and Mets a few different times? And Jesse Orosco, that takes the cake. The guy pitched for 29 different teams and just because two of them were the Yankees and Mets it means steinbrenner was obsessed with former Mets? Sorry dude, I'll concede a valid point made by an opposing fan any day of the week but this is such a reach on your part that...well, thats just it..a reach.

Dude, you can not be serious with that list...christ I thought you wanted to have an actual legitimate baseball discussion and you're bringing up the fact that Steinbrenner went out and got some quality players who wore a Mets uniform at one time?

David Cone? After he pitched with KC after the Mets and the Yankee traded for him in the middle of a penant race. You honestly believe Steinbrenner looked at Cone and said..."oohhhh, I can get a late 80's New York Met on my roster"? Come on man, get real.

Straw was a perfect fit for Yankee stadium which makes it a logical move. I honestly believe you're allowing your disdain for the yankees to cloud your judgement.

Bobby O-frigginJeda? Good god what a joke. Mazilli? Didn't he play for the Yankees and Mets a few different times? And Jesse Orosco, that takes the cake. The guy pitched for 29 different teams and just because two of them were the Yankees and Mets it means steinbrenner was obsessed with former Mets? Sorry dude, I'll concede a valid point made by an opposing fan any day of the week but this is such a reach on your part that...well, thats just it..a reach.

And the ostrich AFJF rubs the sand out of his eyes.

And the ostrich AFJF rubs the sand out of his eyes.

What youre saying makes about as much sense as me saying the Mets went out and got Lee Gutterman from the Yankees because he'd worn pinstripes and the Mets wanted a guy who's played for an organization with a history that is actually worth noting.

You're talking about vet players who played on several teams and some of whom played for the Yankees and Mets.

Why did the Mets sign Willie Randolph as a player and coach? Why did the Mets hire former Yankee ace Mel Stottlemyre as their pitching coach? Hmmm...Pinstripe envy? That riddiculous enough for ya?

What youre saying makes about as much sense as me saying the Mets went out and got Lee Gutterman from the Yankees because he'd worn pinstripes and the Mets wanted a guy who's played for an organization with a history that is actually worth noting.

You're talking about vet players who played on several teams and some of whom played for the Yankees and Mets.

Why did the Mets sign Willie Randolph as a player and coach? Why did the Mets hire former Yankee ace Mel Stottlemyre as their pitching coach? Hmmm...Pinstripe envy? That riddiculous enough for ya?

where did Torre coach before yanks? :cheers:

AFJF-I went over this with Matt-

Steinbrenner was enamored with Met matinee idols of the mid 80's. He saw an opportunity to glom off the Mets bandwagon, when the Mets were losing fan base back to the Yankees in the city, and he helped kick start that by bringing over some former Mets that were popular. AGAIN, A VERY SMART MOVE.

You seem enamored with Guitterman, but that was hardly a key cog in a Yankee championship, nor was he endeared to by fans.

I told Matt that he had a point with Randolph, and that some Met fans expressed that feeling.

To deny what happened is demeaning to both of us here. It was well known.

Archived