Coffee recipe and personal tips

Bronx

nice.

i bought a milk steamer on amazon i really like. it has a base so you can just pull it up and off without dealing with cords. if you fill it with milk or half and half this thing makes it 3x as thick and nice and warm and fuzzy. ive been experimenting with putting sugar, honey cinamon in there as well. sometime i will even make a strong lil expresso, fuzz up som half and half and throw it in there and get the whole thing nice n foamy

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Hate to be that guy but...can I order them off amazon or find them at a supermarket?

To be fair it's not my machine I just use it lol. I get what you're saying though. Like mixing an expensive single malt scotch with soda and chugging it down. The point is to enjoy it. Thing is I don't really know much about coffee. Wine too...best wine I ever had was from an $8 bottle LOL.

Some yes. Whole Foods tends to have an excellent selection of roasters but unless they are running a sale you will generally be paying more than you would online. Also their selection is usually regional, so most of the roasters I listed are San Diego roasters and you would only find them in SoCal supermarkets. A Stop & Shop or Shop Rite...etc., highly unlikely. Best you'll find is usually Intelligentsia, which are fine enough, but the beans will probably not be super fresh. And that matters a lot. Anything you ever buy in a store will likely have been sitting there for a while, that's why ordering from the roaster is always the best way to go, because they roast to order.

Amazon does sell some single origins but the prices are sky high and you are unlikely to be guaranteed if the beans are freshly roasted.

Online is really your best bet. Mostra for example runs holiday sales all the time where they waive shipping and also kick like 30-40% off the price of bags. Same for all the others.

Coffee is actually a whole lot like wine and booze. A few weeks of drinking better stuff and the palette adjusts and that's when the good stuff becomes really worth it. I think the best thing to do is get yourself a couple bags of good single origin or espresso (as that's what it sounds like your machine is) beans from a top roaster and just start ******* around with them. Once you learn about it all it's not complicated. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Man dude, you know your stuff. Also? It’s amazing the amount of money my horrible attention to detail saves me.  

I kind of save on the back end of all this stuff. Yes, I spend more money on my coffee at home, but because I'm so pretentious about it I almost never buy coffee when I'm out from i.e. Starbucks or Dunkin. So the extra $20-30 a month I spend on the better beans gets balanced out by the 5-6 cups I don't buy when I'm out and about.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Some yes. Whole Foods tends to have an excellent selection of roasters but unless they are running a sale you will generally be paying more than you would online. Also their selection is usually regional, so most of the roasters I listed are San Diego roasters and you would only find them in SoCal supermarkets. A Stop & Shop or Shop Rite...etc., highly unlikely. Best you'll find is usually Intelligentsia, which are fine enough, but the beans will probably not be super fresh. And that matters a lot. 

Amazon does sell some single origins but the prices are sky high and you are unlikely to be guaranteed if the beans are freshly roasted.

Online is really your best bet. Mostra for example runs holiday sales all the time where they waive shipping and also kick like 30-40% off the price of bags. Same for all the others.

Coffee is actually a whole lot like wine and booze. A few weeks of drinking better stuff and the palette adjusts and that's when the good stuff becomes really worth it. I think the best thing to do is get yourself a couple bags of good single origin or espresso (as that's what it sounds like your machine is) beans from a top roaster and just start ******* around with them. Once you learn about it all it's not complicated. 

I used to live down the street from a guy who had a small roasting company out of his house.   You'd drive home, and the whole street smelled like wonderful, roasting coffee.   I loved it

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I used to live down the street from a guy who had a small roasting company out of his house.   You'd drive home, and the whole street smelled like wonderful, roasting coffee.   I loved it

I've been trying to get my wife to let me get my own roaster but according to her if I make us buy "one more hipster appliance" she's divorcing me.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I kind of save on the back end of all this stuff. Yes, I spend more money on my coffee at home, but because I'm so pretentious about it I almost never buy coffee when I'm out from i.e. Starbucks or Dunkin. So the extra $20-30 a month I spend on the better beans gets balanced out by the 5-6 cups I don't buy when I'm out and about.

I do that with food.

A friend of ours has a ranch, I buy a whole cow, grass fed, grass finished beef.   We eat great meat, steaks, ribs, burgers.  All cheaper than I can buy chick-fil-A for the kids.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I agree. I’m old, a coffee isn’t supposed to cost as much a modest 6 pack of domestic. Cold brew coffee at the office and percolated, ground  every 2-3 days swill at the house, always black, always too much. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Some yes. Whole Foods tends to have an excellent selection of roasters but unless they are running a sale you will generally be paying more than you would online. Also their selection is usually regional, so most of the roasters I listed are San Diego roasters and you would only find them in SoCal supermarkets. A Stop & Shop or Shop Rite...etc., highly unlikely. Best you'll find is usually Intelligentsia, which are fine enough, but the beans will probably not be super fresh. And that matters a lot. Anything you ever buy in a store will likely have been sitting there for a while, that's why ordering from the roaster is always the best way to go, because they roast to order.

I live in the valley in LA so maybe I could find some of them.

Nice to know online is an option though.

I'll check them out next time we need beans I think we just got a bag so might be a few weeks.

30 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Who butchers the cow ?

The processor.

Pay the rancher for hanging weight.  Processor for butchering.  It's cool, you get about a 20 minute call.  How thick do you want your steaks (you can have more, but thinner). Do you want roasts, or more ground beef.  Do you want organ meat.   How large of ground beef packages do you want (1 pound, 2 pound).

Everything individually packaged and frozen, I go pick it up, load the stand up freezer.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I live in the valley in LA so maybe I could find some of them.

Nice to know online is an option though.

I'll check them out next time we need beans I think we just got a bag so might be a few weeks.

I am fairly certain that almost all the Whole Foods in LA carry Modern Times. Many will carry Bird Rock. Modern times also has a brewery location downtown where you can buy from them freshly roasted. Their beer is top notch too.

Erwhon has incredible coffee selections as well. Honestly the only reasonably priced sh*t in that store.

On 9/21/2023 at 6:07 AM, Bronx said:

Who do you listen to if any?

I don't listen to much.  Mostly car and bike stuff.  For health it is mostly lifting juicehead guys like Derek from More Plates, More Dates, Israetel etc. or Galpin, and cooking stuff.  The cooking stuff is going to be primarily for taste and technique.  I'm not generally looking up kale chip recipes.   

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Best you'll find is usually Intelligentsia, which are fine enough, but the beans will probably not be super fresh. And that matters a lot. Anything you ever buy in a store will likely have been sitting there for a while, that's why ordering from the roaster is always the best way to go, because they roast to order.

Well I was able to buy a bag of Intelligentsia off Amazon and you’re right it was not fresh which imo makes a huuuge difference in the quality of your drink. With that said it was just ok. I noticed the texture was…creamier? than the SF Bay coffee we usually get. I didn’t mind it but it didn’t blow my mind or anything.

6 hours ago, Nolder said:

Well I was able to buy a bag of Intelligentsia off Amazon and you’re right it was not fresh which imo makes a huuuge difference in the quality of your drink. With that said it was just ok. I noticed the texture was…creamier? than the SF Bay coffee we usually get. I didn’t mind it but it didn’t blow my mind or anything.

Of course I'm right. I'm a loser that wrote an 8,000 word dissertation on coffee in this thread. You think I'd make all that up? 

Sometimes the oils and acids in a bean create a thicker texture, sure, but that can all be adjusted with grind and temp as well. Quality & freshness of bean + grind + temp is all that matters. Miss on any of those and it's a straight road to meh town. Buy directly from roasters, it's the only solution, and the best one btw. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Of course I'm right. I'm a loser that wrote an 8,000 word dissertation on coffee in this thread. You think I'd make all that up? 

Sometimes the oils and acids in a bean create a thicker texture, sure, but that can all be adjusted with grind and temp as well. Quality & freshness of bean + grind + temp is all that matters. Miss on any of those and it's a straight road to meh town. Buy directly from roasters, it's the only solution, and the best one btw. 

I'll let you know how my next attempt goes when it happens!

• Upvote 1