Team Building: If the Jets finish with a top 10 pick what position do you target?

Starfox

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Depends on who is there, but if the Jets had their choice of ...... Joe Alt or Quinn Ewers, pick Ewers. If Rodgers walks away, sign a vet and let Ewers sit for a year. 

Yup, it all depends on how it falls.

I would love a guy like Drake Maye, or even Caleb if we by some miracle happen to be picking #1. However I'd still rather take QB 3 or 4 over anything else if that's the position we're in. Love this class, and we need a QB of the future.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Depends on who is there, but if the Jets had their choice of ...... Joe Alt or Quinn Ewers, pick Ewers. If Rodgers walks away, sign a vet and let Ewers sit for a year. 

What if they have their choice of those guys but also 3-5 players a tier above them?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Yup, it all depends on how it falls.

I would love a guy like Drake Maye, or even Caleb if we by some miracle happen to be picking #1. However I'd still rather take QB 3 or 4 over anything else if that's the position we're in. Love this class, and we need a QB of the future.

McCarthy as well.  But I’m ok with taking one in the 2nd too, guys will drop.  They can figure out how to get a 2nd rounder.  

1 hour ago, derp said:

What if they have their choice of those guys but also 3-5 players a tier above them?

Again, it depends on who is there. I'm not taking a defensive player. Unless its Harrison, I'm not inclined to take a skill position player. Picking a QB now is different than in 2021 because the roster is now in much better shape. Even if the rookie QB sits for a year, you can always draft an OT in 2025. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Again, it depends on who is there. I'm not taking a defensive player. Unless its Harrison, I'm not inclined to take a skill position player. Picking a QB now is different than in 2021 because the roster is now in much better shape. Even if the rookie QB sits for a year, you can always draft an OT in 2025. 

I don’t think a defensive player will be a problem in this draft. Top five is probably all offense, maybe more.

Don’t think they need to pass on a QB in the first but I think most of where this roster is good doesn’t help a young QB too much. Need lots of help on the OL and with pass catchers.

Different coaching staff could make me feel differently  but I also don’t think they’re the right group to develop a young QB.

Think it’d be more prudent to take an offensive player who’s not a QB in the first and draft a more experienced player with less perceived upside but good intangibles in the third or fourth.

38 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t think a defensive player will be a problem in this draft. Top five is probably all offense, maybe more.

Don’t think they need to pass on a QB in the first but I think most of where this roster is good doesn’t help a young QB too much. Need lots of help on the OL and with pass catchers.

Different coaching staff could make me feel differently  but I also don’t think they’re the right group to develop a young QB.

Think it’d be more prudent to take an offensive player who’s not a QB in the first and draft a more experienced player with less perceived upside but good intangibles in the third or fourth.

Well, the coaching staff being an issue for developing a QB is a separate discussion because if that is true, then they need to go regardless. I agree with your point about the offense lacking at WR and OL, but I don't think it is completely barren either. If Becton is back then he forms a decent foundation with AVT and Tippman. You could potentially grab a good IOL this year in the third as other teams do it all the time. Douglas should not have to rely solely on 1st round picks to rebuild the line. 

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Well, the coaching staff being an issue for developing a QB is a separate discussion because if that is true, then they need to go regardless. I agree with your point about the offense lacking at WR and OL, but I don't think it is completely barren either. If Becton is back then he forms a decent foundation with AVT and Tippman. You could potentially grab a good IOL this year in the third as other teams do it all the time. Douglas should not have to rely solely on 1st round picks to rebuild the line. 

The cowboys are starting edoga at LT.  It’s about the qb and coaching.  The jets have neither.  They should draft a new qb and get rid of these clueless coaches and finally bring in someone who can design an offensive gameplan.  The jets could have all pros at 10 positions on offense and play wilson and still not make the playoffs.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Yeah, I think everyone needs to go. I don’t think Douglas should rely on first round picks for the OL, but I do think he should be gone.

The OL plan you described is possible, but a) relies on a few if’s (Becton is worthy of re-signing and re-signs, third round iOL is ready to start, boxes team into drafting an iOL in the third) b) still leaves the team one OL short of five starters and c) doesn’t address the offensive skill group.

It’s just gotten to the point there are a lot of needs and not a lot of assets for a team that isn’t a legitimate contender where that’s okay. It’s not post Maccagnan bad but it’s on its way to getting ugly.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, I think everyone needs to go. I don’t think Douglas should rely on first round picks for the OL, but I do think he should be gone.

The OL plan you described is possible, but a) relies on a few if’s (Becton is worthy of re-signing and re-signs, third round iOL is ready to start, boxes team into drafting an iOL in the third) b) still leaves the team one OL short of five starters and c) doesn’t address the offensive skill group.

It’s just gotten to the point there are a lot of needs and not a lot of assets for a team that isn’t a legitimate contender where that’s okay. It’s not post Maccagnan bad but it’s on its way to getting ugly.

I want to debate you to keep the conversation going, but I can't because I agree with all of this, lol.

• Upvote 1

Zach making me question everything I thought I believed and everything I thought I wanted.

Long way to go before the end of the season, and I want to see him do this on a consistent basis starting with this week 5 matchup, but if he does.....

All I'll say is Joe Alt is looking more appealing to me right now with our 1st than he did 24 hours ago.  I think no matter what, even if Zach balls out the rest of the year, it would be smart to take a QB in the 2024 draft, but if Zach actually puts it together I can live with that pick happening in the 4th/5th/6th instead of it being 1st/2nd or bust.

Hard to argue against an OL of any kind.  You could go Guard or TAckle depending what you want to do with AVT.  Although I would argue Guard right now is the bigger need.  Tomlinson has not been good so you may want to replace him, if you dont resign mcgovern then tippman takes over you still need a RG if you keep AVT at tackle.  If he kicks back in you need 1 G and 1 T depending if you keep becton.  

Although with Rodgers, you have to wonder if a veteran FA OL is a better bet to help solidify the front quickly.  

WR where we are going to be picking is SEXY.  and This team is 1 more away from being super explosive.  

Then obviously QB. 

41 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Hard to argue against an OL of any kind.  You could go Guard or TAckle depending what you want to do with AVT.  Although I would argue Guard right now is the bigger need.  Tomlinson has not been good so you may want to replace him, if you dont resign mcgovern then tippman takes over you still need a RG if you keep AVT at tackle.  If he kicks back in you need 1 G and 1 T depending if you keep becton.  

Although with Rodgers, you have to wonder if a veteran FA OL is a better bet to help solidify the front quickly.  

WR where we are going to be picking is SEXY.  and This team is 1 more away from being super explosive.  

Then obviously QB. 

I’m having a hard time envisioning that 1st rounder to be anything but a LT or qb.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m having a hard time envisioning that 1st rounder to be anything but a LT or qb.  

i think WR is going to be in the running.  Unless we sign a Mike evans in the offseason or someone like that, we're going to be in prime position to grab some elite WR talent and this to me so far with very little prep looks like a good class at the top..

Depends where we pick.  If were top 10 i think QB is where you have to go if zach doesnt continue to ball out.  If he does then you get the OL/WR conversation.  The thing is HOW MANY 1sts do you spend on the OL? Many Many teams find great success with OL in the mid rounds, and with the way OL are coming out of college now in many of these systems they are very hit or miss (look at neal from last year). 

WR seems almost the safest bet.  

You can look at guys like Malik Nabers, Keon Coleman, Egbuka from OSU, Rome Odunze (not sure where they fall draft wise now, pretty confident egbuka and nabers are top 20 picks easy). these guys would all make this offensive skill group elite.    There are mid round guys as well we could grab but i gotta do more work on where they fall. 

20 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i think WR is going to be in the running.  Unless we sign a Mike evans in the offseason or someone like that, we're going to be in prime position to grab some elite WR talent and this to me so far with very little prep looks like a good class at the top..

Depends where we pick.  If were top 10 i think QB is where you have to go if zach doesnt continue to ball out.  If he does then you get the OL/WR conversation.  The thing is HOW MANY 1sts do you spend on the OL? Many Many teams find great success with OL in the mid rounds, and with the way OL are coming out of college now in many of these systems they are very hit or miss (look at neal from last year). 

WR seems almost the safest bet.  

You can look at guys like Malik Nabers, Keon Coleman, Egbuka from OSU, Rome Odunze (not sure where they fall draft wise now, pretty confident egbuka and nabers are top 20 picks easy). these guys would all make this offensive skill group elite.    There are mid round guys as well we could grab but i gotta do more work on where they fall. 

The worse wilson is, the better that pick and the more they will have to consider a qb or a trade back where they can take one in round 2.  But I’m guessing OT will prevail over wr, b/c by the end of the season there will be injuries and there really isn’t any tackle depth.  So taking a LT and then a developmental qb on day 2 is probably the path right now.  Of course if they go on a losing streak and then there’s a qb staring at them with the 4th pick, that’s a different scenario.  

• 2 months later...

Yeah I think Rodgers' comments killed ANY chance of us drafting a QB round 1.  Maybe a kid later like Pratt/Travis/Ward who can sit for 2 years but you're not drafting Jayden Daniels top-10 to hand him a clipboard for 2 seasons.

It's going to be an OT or a WR/Bowers.  Just can't see it being anything else.