Team Building: If the Jets finish with a top 10 pick what position do you target?

Starfox

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because coaches can be replaced at any time but the draft is in what, April? I mean I know our owner doesn't  have the balls to fore him but it's  better than talking about the draft. 

Replacing a coach in midseason does nothing.  So someone on the Jets staff becomes interim coach with no hope of landing the HC job while the true candidates for 2024 openings play out the season in their current positions.  Name me a midseason coaching change that uncovered a future winning HC?  I can't think of any.  Saleh isn't going anywhere before December at the earliest, no matter how ugly this gets.

17 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Replacing a coach in midseason does nothing.  So someone on the Jets staff becomes interim coach with no hope of landing the HC job while the true candidates for 2024 openings play out the season in their current positions.  Name me a midseason coaching change that uncovered a future winning HC?  I can't think of any.  Saleh isn't going anywhere before December at the earliest, no matter how ugly this gets.

Hey, I was jist spit balling there. Anything is better than talking about the draft.

2 hours ago, Starfox said:

This is not a draft question as much as a team building one. 

Let’s say the Jets finish in the top 10 but aren’t bad enough to get one of the big time QB prospects at the top of the draft. What do you do?  

Best available OL or WR/TE? 

Or 

Do you need to draft Rodgers replacement, knowing there are likely going to be a bunch of QBs going in round 1 this year. 

I think I’m going OL/WR/TE. 2024 should provide a favorable schedule and I am going all in on Rodgers. Plus a great offensive lineman or weapon will only help the next QB (whomever that is). 

If the Jets draft a defensive player with that pick everyone in the building should be fired on the spot. 

I think I'd try to trade up for one of the big time QB prospects (if that were feasible).  We could swap #1's and we could throw the team Sauce, GW, Breece, QW, AVT.  Whoever they want.  If we can bring in a young FQB that's the quickest recipe for success in the NFL.  It's not easy to build a team where you have to pay big money to 5 different guys (like the aforementioned).  A FQB you can afford to lock up long-term.  Then you figure out the rest after.

Of course, there's no chance in heck a rookie QB should play his first year here.  Let's just bottom out and trade for more picks so we can rebuild the team (starting with the OL and weapinzz).  Defense doesn't really win championships anymore so we can hold off on that.  Heck, Dallas had a historically bad defense a few years ago and now they're one of the top ones in the NFL.

I think this is a classic modified BPA scenario.

The best possible player for a team to pick which does not have a franchise QB locked up over the next three+ years is a QB.   If there is one the Jets will need to take him.   That will be hard because our offensive coaching staff will not be supportive or provide good scouting.  They also go early, so just because the Jets pick 10 does not mean they will get one.

If Rodgers is playing, that would then leave an offensive player preferable over a defensive player.  An OT is most valuable, then a WR.  If the second coming of Lawrence Taylor/Micah Parsons is there, maybe that is the pick. 

But as a general matter, trying to pick position rather than the best player is generally a path to being a bad team (like the Jets are today).  That being said, I would not expect the Chiefs to pick a QB in the first round.  N

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

100% have to draft a QB. There’s 5 good prospects coming out in this draft take one of them to sit behind Rodgers for a year or two. It’s the only hope for this franchise going forward.

Brother, I'm sorry to tell you. But Rodgers is never ever playing QB for the Jets. It's not gonna happen. It's over. He may think he still wants to. He may even make it to training camp, which I don't think it's gonna happen. Even if he does make it to camp, fate will have it to find a way that he never plays for the Jets. Ever.

You already saw the beginning of the end with his appearance on the McFee show. The cracks on the love affair have begun 

If this year was not a sign to you, I don't know what to tell you. We had everything ready for him this year, and look at what happened.

As for this idea of drafting a rookie QB, we are horrible at grooming QBs. Absolutely horrendous. Draft a WR , and sign a big name fa QB, and "small name" fa QB.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Starfox said:

This is not a draft question as much as a team building one. 

Let’s say the Jets finish in the top 10 but aren’t bad enough to get one of the big time QB prospects at the top of the draft. What do you do?  

Best available OL or WR/TE? 

Or 

Do you need to draft Rodgers replacement, knowing there are likely going to be a bunch of QBs going in round 1 this year. 

I think I’m going OL/WR/TE. 2024 should provide a favorable schedule and I am going all in on Rodgers. Plus a great offensive lineman or weapon will only help the next QB (whomever that is). 

If the Jets draft a defensive player with that pick everyone in the building should be fired on the spot. 

LT and if we have to move up to get the best one so be it screw the rest of the draft we need to win now and a stud LT will go a long way

If the team is in the position to draft a good QB and wants to take him, there's the risk it blows up the whole Rodgers situation. If QB isn't the choice, then the team really needs a productive tackle. OTOH if Rodgers has a good 2024 and the team makes the playoffs, well it's going to take a small fortune to move up and draft a top QB. If neither are an option, maybe trade back.

You would hope that Rodgers understands the team needs an option when he retires that can sit and learn, but he also ate $35MM and that had to have come with something in return. Did that come with an agreement not to draft another QB while he's a Jet? It wouldn't surprise me.

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

OT

Rodgers is coming back and Max Mitchell and Carter Warren are the only OT’s under contract next year.

Personally I say keep AVT at RT, draft a LT in the 1st round and look to add an interior OL in FA.

Personally, agree on drafting a LT, however I move Becton back to RT, AVT back to LG, Tippman, to Center, and draft a RG in the 3rd round seeing as we don't have a 2nd round pick. Pick up the best available FA QB not named Rodgers in the offseason. I'm also assuming Rodgers is going to retire, because hopefully we can get someone in here to actually COACH this team and Rodgers will not want to be here once Hackett isn't here either.

Just  my wish list. We have no shot at Drake Maye if we win more than 2 or 3 games, which I assume we'll do.

14 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

QB.  But they won't, due to Rodgers.  So probably OL.

If JD did his job and build a competent OL in 4+ years we could draft a qb. His effort was lot more into building a top 5 D, while the OL is toward back of league. Got 2 qb hurt pretty bad due to weak protection. Zach sucks big time, but Jets need to start thinking about building a strong OL for not just rodgers , but for next qb. Instead of worrying so much about having a deep DL, etc. I know this qb class is highly rated. The qb class was highly rated in Darnold yr. There were “ 3 greats” baker, Rosen, darnold. All busts. The 2 not mentioned much, Jackson and Allen were much better. It’s lot way a lot. Who had Brock Purdy being best qb in his class ? Picked dead last. Qb is too unpredictable. A strong OL lot easier to hit on. Next qb will have a chance then too.  

At this point barring some kind of Zach miracle you have to take a QB in the 1st or 2nd.  Since we don't have a 2nd, that means either you're taking the QB in the 1st, trading down and getting an extra 2nd and taking him there, or perhaps Huff gets dealt for a 2nd at some point before the deadline and you use that for your QB.  Even if we miss out on the big names there are still some good ones available.  Penix Jr, McCarthy, Ewers, Nix, possibly Sanders if he comes out.  

Guy I might like the most though is Jordan Travis who might be there in the 2nd.  Either way I want to see how things play out at OT before saying "we have to take a LT in the 1st".  I want to see how Becton performs the rest of the year and whether or not he stays on the field.  I think we'll end up keeping him, and I can see us keeping AVT at RT.  That leaves a guard spot open which we could possibly get a starter in the 2nd(depending on how we maneuver) or the 3rd.  

No matter what though if JD goes QB he's gotta get it right.  There is no room for error this time.