Herm's Game Adjustments

BigOrangeJetFan

I read on another Jets site, where some people are sad Herm is gone. I am wondering if anyone can think of a game where he made adjustments on the game plan at halftime which turned a game around. We know of his clock management problems, but I never thought he was a good tactics guy. Was outcoached many times.

I read on another Jets site, where some people are sad Herm is gone. I am wondering if anyone can think of a game where he made adjustments on the game plan at halftime which turned a game around. We know of his clock management problems, but I never thought he was a good tactics guy. Was outcoached many times.

At halftime in the Ravens game in 05,he adjusted his underwear because they were beginning to bunch. And in the Steelers playoff game that year he adjusted his headset because it was "hurtin my ears. I need my ears to hear through the headset so I can score more than the other team. Cause thats the key,you play to score more than the other team,and if you don't score more than the other team,you're not playing. But we're playing,I got a letter from the Commisioner so I know we are playing which means we must score more than the other team. Its the will to score more that counts though,not just the skill to get in the endzone. This field goal here that doug missed,he missed it cause he had the skill and kicked the ball,but didn't will it enough so he missed,which means he didn't score more than the other team,and that means he isn't playing."

Sorry,if you were looking for a legitimate answer,I don't have one for you....Just smart ass replies

My favorite Hermy adjustment was when he made PennyBoy take a knee adding 3 yards to Brien's FG attempt versus the Steelers in the playoffs.

Pure genius.:eek:

I'd like to fire back with some snappy response, but I'm drawing a complete blank

I'd like to fire back with some snappy response, but I'm drawing a complete blank

In all seriousness, I'd be hard pressed to come up with another bonehead coaching decision that was worse than that one in a playoff game.

I'll never forget my wife turning to me after that play and saying "Why the fu*k did they do that"?

In 2004 the Jets defense led the league in second half shutouts... I would think half time adjustments might have had something to do with that. Do you even watch any Jet games?

http://www.baseball1.com/lahman/seanlahman/nysun_20041206.htm

"It's also worth noting another phenomenal performance by the Jets' defense. For the sixth time this year, they shut out their opponent in the second half. Except for a couple of long pass plays, the Jets kept Houston from mounting any kind of sustained attack. They got good pressure on the quarterback, shut down the Houston running game, and forced turnovers".

In 2004 the Jets defense led the league in second half shutouts... I would think half time adjustments might have had something to do with that. Do you even watch any Jet games?

You think it might have anything to do with teams that stomped all over the Jets defense in the first half and teams running the ball to kill the clock?

Nah, that just makes too much sense.

You think it might have anything to do with teams that stomped all over the Jets defense in the first half and teams running the ball to kill the clock?

When the other team puts up 21 points in the first half and the Jets "O" puts up zero do you think that the opposition will try and score in the 2nd half? No. They will be conservative.

The Jets D isn't bad.

When the other team puts up 21 points in the first half and the Jets "O" puts up zero do you think that the opposition will try and score in the 2nd half? No. They will be conservative.

The Jets D isn't bad.

The Jets defense was great in 2004. In the 7 games ( I originally reported only 6) that the Jets shut out the opponent in the second half that year, they won six of those games so it wasn't the opponent routing the Jets and running out the clock. It was half time adjustments to the defense that stopped the opponent and gave the Jets the opportunity to win despite an offense that went into the tank after Pennington went down with his seperated shoulder.

The original question was regarding half time adjustments by Herman Edwards. I pretty much answered the original poster who posed the question.

Of course, that doesn't answer the questions for those who think every thing the Jets did in a positive vein under Herm Edwards was despite him and everything else was because of him.

Herman haters need to get over it. He saw the direction that the Jets were heading into, gave them an opportunity to give him a contract extension. He was rebuffed and did what the last three HC's did when they evaluated their career potential with the Jets and saw the ineptness in ownership... He took a better job, with better prospects, with a better franchise with an ownership that wasn't as inept as Woody Johnson.

Try a few seconds of research before embarassing yourself. In 2004 the Jets shut out opponents in the second half of games seven times.... They won six of those games.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041003_NYJ@MIA

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041017_SF@NYJ

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041024_NYJ@NE

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041121_NYJ@CLE

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041128_NYJ@ARI

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041205_HOU@NYJ

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041219_SEA@NYJ

[url=http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041205_HOU@NYJ]

The Jets defense was great in 2004. In the 7 games ( I originally reported only 6) that the Jets shut out the opponent in the second half that year, they won six of those games so it wasn't the opponent routing the Jets and running out the clock. It was half time adjustments to the defense that stopped the opponent and gave the Jets the opportunity to win despite an offense that went into the tank after Pennington went down with his seperated shoulder.

The original question was regarding half time adjustments by Herman Edwards. I pretty much answered the original poster who posed the question.

Of course, that doesn't answer the questions for those who think every thing the Jets did in a positive vein under Herm Edwards was despite him and everything else was because of him.

Herman haters need to get over it. He saw the direction that the Jets were heading into, gave them an opportunity to give him a contract extension. He was rebuffed and did what the last three HC's did when they evaluated their career potential with the Jets and saw the ineptness in ownership... He took a better job, with better prospects, with a better franchise with an ownership that wasn't as inept as Woody Johnson.

Boo freaking hoo.

He sucks as a coach.

He was angling for the KC job all last season. He had a valid contract and whined like a little girl for an extension he hadn't earned. And I eagerly await his inevitable crash&burn in KC.

And if Johnson is so awful, why is it he's on the search committee for a new commissioner? Lamr Hunt has owned the team for ever and they haven't been any closer than the Jets is the same period.

I used to think he was a no good dumba$$. Now I know Edwards is a devious selfish POS. Want to get over it-STOP BRINGING HIM UP.

Boo freaking hoo.

He sucks as a coach.

He was angling for the KC job all last season. He had a valid contract and whined like a little girl for an extension he hadn't earned. And I eagerly await his inevitable crash&burn in KC.

And if Johnson is so awful, why is it he's on the search committee for a new commissioner? Lamr Hunt has owned the team for ever and they haven't been any closer than the Jets is the same period.

I used to think he was a no good dumba$$. Now I know Edwards is a devious selfish POS. Want to get over it-STOP BRINGING HIM UP.

Well, at least you can no longer argue that Herman Edwards never made halftime adjustments. I just showed you seven times in one season. Woody Johnson is so inept he offerred to spend a billion dollars of his own money to build a Westside Stadium, failed to pay off the right politicians and got turned down. He has now hired two unqualified former interns as HC and GM. Jets will turn it around when someone steps in and forces Woody to clean house and a hire a qualified football executive to run the franchise.

In the meantime, swallow the Kool Aid, wave your Gameday programs like Mao's Little Red Book and follow the Pied Piper. Bradway, another empty suit incompentant corporate yes man, like Tannenbaum and Jay Cross, ruined what Parcells gave him through poor drafts and free agent signings and letting quality starters leave without replacing them. Tannenbaum is the final nail in the coffin.

Well, at least you can no longer argue that Herman Edwards never made halftime adjustments. I just showed you seven times in one season. Woody Johnson is so inept he offerred to spend a billion dollars of his own money to build a Westside Stadium, failed to pay off the right politicians and got turned down. He has now hired two unqualified former interns as HC and GM. Jets will turn it around when someone steps in and forces Woody to clean house and a hire a qualified football executive to run the franchise.

In the meantime, swallow the Kool Aid, wave your Gameday programs like Mao's Little Red Book and follow the Pied Piper. Bradway, another empty suit incompentant corporate yes man, like Tannenbaum and Jay Cross, ruined what Parcells gave him through poor drafts and free agent signings and letting quality starters leave without replacing them. Tannenbaum is the final nail in the coffin.

Sorry bud, everyone knows that it was Henderson behind the defensive adjustments for the second halves of those games, but Herm deserves credit for hiring Henderson.;)

Simple bet RRHermie Fan-

If the Jets under Mangini over the next 2 years advance further in the playoffs and/or win more games total, you are will to have a sig that says"I WAS WRONG-MANGINI'S THE MAN; HERM SUCKS AS A COACH" Draft your own sig for me if I lose. Loser has to post that sig for a whole off season-from the day after the Super Bowl of February, 2008 until camp in August 2008. DEAL?

So your list is MIA, SF, NE, CLE, ARI, HOU, SEA.

Lets look at their rank when it came to scoring that year:

MIA: 27th

SF: 30th

NE: 4th

CLE: 28th

ARI: 26th

HOU: 21st

SEA: 12th

So 5 out of 6 had really bad offenses. In the New England game we got shut out too. Good adjustments there. And in the Seattle game we forced 2 fumbles to end their drives and they just couldnt stop our run with their 26th ranked run defense and we took out the clock.

Well, at least you can no longer argue that Herman Edwards never made halftime adjustments. I just showed you seven times in one season.

Are you friggn' kidding me?

Those were Hermy's "half-time" adjustments?:eek:

Let me ask you this, how did Hermy do making "adjustments" in the Steeler playoff game?

Hermy was a complete idiot.

In all seriousness, I'd be hard pressed to come up with another bonehead coaching decision that was worse than that one in a playoff game.

I'll never forget my wife turning to me after that play and saying "Why the fu*k did they do that"?

I said the same thing, verbatim. For total extended bewilderment though, as Bugg said, the Ravens game is right up there. Everybody was standing for over a minute yelling for a time out and wondering WTF was going on. That game made me realize once and for all what an effin idiot Herm was.

Either the Jets defense was "great" or Edwards is a lousy coach. So which is it?

So he's got:

A good enough QB

NFL rushing leader & another really good one on the bench

A more than good enough OL

A young stud WR

and as you say, a "great" defense.

Also, most Jets opponents were absolute joke teams.

So with all that how come Edwards' Jets managed only 10 regular season wins? Surely that was a year we could've won at least 12-13, right?

the Jets the opportunity to win despite an offense that went into the tank after Pennington went down with his seperated shoulder.

The Jets were 2-1 with Quincy Carter as the QB, and should have been 3-0 if not for Herm's Chinese fire drill at the end of the Raven's game.

In spite of Quincy's efficiency, good ol' Herm insisted on playing Pennington with "his seperated shoulder". The Jets finished the season 2-4 at that point, and if not for the Bills blowing it to the Steelers, the Jets would have been one of those rare teams that start 5-0 and couldn't even make the playoffs.

The way Herm was acting with that letter from Tag's and telling everybody "enjoy the Kool-aid", and then to freeze out his own kicker twice in the playoffs demonstrated the character and level of incompetence of a man who clearly has no business making decisions for any NFL team on game day.

My favorite Hermy adjustment was when he made PennyBoy take a knee adding 3 yards to Brien's FG attempt versus the Steelers in the playoffs.

Pure genius.:eek:

I didn't have a problem with The Jets going conservative at that time but the knee was stupid on so many levels. You've got Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan. Hand the ball off to one of those guys up the middle. Try and get a few yards and set up your kick.

I didn't have a problem with The Jets going conservative at that time but the knee was stupid on so many levels. You've got Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan. Hand the ball off to one of those guys up the middle. Try and get a few yards and set up your kick.

It's not rocket science YJF.

Even if one of those two guys gets stuffed for only a 1-yard gain, the FG attempt would have been 4 yards closer.

Instead of bouncing off the crossbar, the Jets would have been on their way to Foxboro.;)

Dude, you are one wacky package. You've blamed everybody but Herm for-

for what, exactly? On one hand, you lecture everybody for blaming Herm for everything that went wrong and not given him any credit when anything went right. But here, you just did the same exact thing only in reverse.

And by the way, nobody here is going to bat for Bradway or Woody, so you can't even turn this into an us against them type of deal. Furthermore, how does saying Bradway is incompetent (clearly he is) correlate into Herm beign a good coach? How does calling Woody inept make Herm a good coach?

I don't even think this guy is a jets fan, the only posts he ever makes are when somebody else bashes someone who isn't even on the team anymore. He's like the guy who acts completely gay but insists that he's straight.

I don't even think this guy is a jets fan, the only posts he ever makes are when somebody else bashes someone who isn't even on the team anymore. He's like the guy who acts completely gay but insists that he's straight.

Rajensen088 Liked Hermie because he was 1/2 German and the NFL was trying to get a 1/2 German a HC gig in NY for years!!:yahoo:

• 4 months later...

Archived