D'brick Wall

Smizzy

'BRICK WALL

By BRIAN COSTELLO

April 9, 2006 -- PALS WANT MASSIVE L.I. LINEMAN TO BE JET

D'Brickashaw Ferguson hears it every time he returns to his hometown of Freeport, L.I..

"You're going to the Jets," friends, family and strangers say. "We need you."

The 6-foot-6, 312-pounder takes it in stride. The last three months have been a whirlwind for Ferguson, considered the top offensive tackle available in this month's NFL Draft. And his friends are not the only ones who think he may end up playing for Gang Green. The Jets hold the No. 4 pick in the draft and many think they will use it on Ferguson, making him a centerpiece in their rebuilding job.

Those who know Ferguson say he's ready.

"This is the type of player you can build a franchise around," said Kansas State coach Ron Prince, Ferguson's former position coach and coordinator at Virginia.

Ferguson tries his best not to let all of these compliments go to his head. The All-American is remarkably grounded for someone about to become a multimillionaire. After getting his degree in religious studies in December (it took him just 31/2 years), Ferguson has spent the last three months preparing for the draft. He knows that Mel Kiper and Co. have him going in the first hours of the April 29 draft, but he ignores it.

"I try not to get caught up in it because I know it's just opinions and no one really knows what's going to happen on the 29th of April except the general managers and people making those decisions," the 22-year-old Ferguson said. "It is nice to see what people think of your talent."

What people think is that Ferguson is a can't-miss prospect. With a high degree of athleticism to go with his big frame and quick feet, Ferguson is seen as someone who could anchor an offensive line for years.

"You're looking at the prototypical left tackle in the NFL," said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. "He is 6-6 with real long arms and is athletic. When you draw up the prototype for the left tackle you want a tall guy with a large wingspan who can move his feet. There is no doubt that he is the top tackle in the NFL Draft.

"In my opinion, there's no way he should get out of the Top 5."

Ferguson was a four-year starter at Virginia, something his coach Al Groh said will help him in the NFL.

"He's had a lot of playing time and that's something that should be his benefit if he gets picked where we're hearing he will," Groh said. "He'll be picked with the expectation that he'll come in and play right away. He came in and started his first game of his freshman season here. He's had that expectation once before and that will be a big aid to him."

Ferguson not only possesses physical gifts but also is very low maintenance. The NFL Draft has become as much an evaluation of character as it has talent. Ferguson passes the test with flying colors. His coaches at UVa. say he never caused any problems and would be positive addition to any franchise.

"I think this is the first player I've ever coached who could be president," Prince said. "He has Jack Kemp-type qualities as far as integrity and sincerity. He has a personality and charisma that people gravitate to."

Ferguson's life is not all football, either. The Renaissance man plays the saxophone and is a third-degree black belt. Washington Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman lived in the same dormitory as Ferguson at Virginia. Zimmerman recalls Ferguson playing the sax, and the first time the two met.

"You look at him and see this big, huge guy who you expect to be this tough guy," Zimmerman said. "Then you meet him and talk to him and he's nothing like you'd expect. He's artsy and is a really smart kid. He's going to have a good career."

The only knock on Ferguson has been his weight. He began his college career at 250 pounds, but he weight 312 at the NFL Combine in February. He seems to have allayed those fears with his workout last month and his performance in January's Senior Bowl. In that all-star game, Ferguson dominated some of the best defensive ends in the country.

"The thing that helped him the most was the decision to play in the Senior Bowl," Mayock said. "Some times a Top-10 kid feels like there's nothing to gain by playing there, they can only lose. With Brick, A, he made the decision to compete, which coaches and general managers love, and B, he dominated. I think he took himself from a Top-10 pick to a Top-5 pick."

In a phone interview last week, Ferguson said he does not care where he ends up. Some people think the Saints may take him with the second pick, while others wonder if the Jets will take a quarterback instead of Ferguson at No. 4.

For Ferguson, whose unique first name derives from a character (Father Ralph de Bricassart) in "The Thorn Birds," the draft represents the end of one chapter of his life and the beginning of another.

"It's almost like a vacation or Christmas," Ferguson said. "You have it marked on your calendar and you X out the days, just waiting for it to come. You just want to here where you're going and move on. It's like Christmas where you've asked for a certain gift but you don't necessarily know if you're going to get it. I'm just waiting for Santa to announce what kind of gift I'm going to get."

If that gift is green and white?

"If they want to pick me, I'd love to come home and play in front of my hometown," Ferguson said. "I'm ready to get it going."

brian.costello@nypost.com

:Typotux:

Bit-

KC is staying put in Arrowhead.Jags aren't leaving Jacksonville. Bills are making noise but don't know if the NFL would allow that move. The Saints, with a market that's a mess and a dump of a stadium, may be looking to get out. While I still think it may not be true, might the Saints, with a move to LA if Benson sells eyed, look to make themselves a more valuable commodity in such a scenario by drafting Leinart?

While I still think it may not be true, might the Saints, with a move to LA if Benson sells eyed, look to make themselves a more valuable commodity in such a scenario by drafting Leinart?

bugg this is a scenario I also considered months ago, prior to the brees signing - you are absolutely right for a team looking to move to LA, draft Matt Leinart is like taking the first step... but then they signed Brees, which may be a stop gap measure who knows. They do have Adrian McPherson who is very young and has talent and upside. The real question can New Orleans extract themselves from the community? Im not sure about that. It seems like the league might not want to be the bad guy and allow what is supposed to be some sort of rallying point for a city that is devistated to just up and waltz away. It makes economic sense but could be a PR disaster.

Even if it plays out that way, Tennessee would have to take Cutler or Young at 3 for Brick to fall - they also have a huge hole at LT with the retirement of Brad Hopkins and Brick presents higher value and less risk then both of those selections.

Not saying it's impossible but the draft would have to break just so for Brick to be there at 4. If he is there he is the chalk pick there is no question. But there's alot of if's in between here and there. I hope they get Brick.

At number 4 we have to take a quarterback. If we didn't have an abyss at the quarterback position I would say take Ferguson but that is not the case. There are many good offensive linemen in the draft besides Ferguson.

A couple of months ago, I would have agreed with you. But history seems to bear out the collective wisdom of this and other boards - that the way to build championships is to start with your front lines. That should be the focus of our first three picks (Left tackle, DE, Center). There will be enough good value remaining at the quarterback position in round 3 to consider drafting a Whitehurst or Croyle.

A couple of months ago, I would have agreed with you. But history seems to bear out the collective wisdom of this and other boards - that the way to build championships is to start with your front lines. That should be the focus of our first three picks (Left tackle, DE, Center). There will be enough good value remaining at the quarterback position in round 3 to consider drafting a Whitehurst or Croyle.

Croyle stinks. He is very injury prone too. After Pennington I want nothing to do with someone like that. Whitehurst doesn't look like anything special to me. After Leinart, Young and Cutler I don't see a legitimate franchise quarterback in this draft.

I do see a lot of legitimate starting offensive linemen in rounds 2-4. I'd rather have a good, young franchise quarterback and a good young cheaper offensive line than no quarterback and an expensive offensive line.

Brees is really in a 1 year deal with New Orelans.

They will draft Leinart, Young or Cutler and it will be much like SD with Rivers and Brees. Unfortunately it could be 100% like SD in where Brees impresses and they fork over th money and keep him but eventually will be gone to Leinart, Young or Cutler.

But them taking Fergusin isn't out of the question. They want to use Brown at LT but that could be just a cover.

Brees is really in a 1 year deal with New Orelans.

They will draft Leinart, Young or Cutler and it will be much like SD with Rivers and Brees. Unfortunately it could be 100% like SD in where Brees impresses and they fork over th money and keep him but eventually will be gone to Leinart, Young or Cutler.

But them taking Fergusin isn't out of the question. They want to use Brown at LT but that could be just a cover.

Not gonna happen.

Sad to say, barring a trade, D'Brick is the pick.

If you draft D'Brick at 4, our qb situation is screwed. It's much more feasible that a guy like Andrew Whitworth or Darryn Colledge develops into a good starting tackle than a guy like Whitehurst or egg like Croyle develops into a franchise qb.

I don't want to hear this crap about waiting til next year to get Brady Quinn. Who knows what our record will be and whether we'll even have a chance of drafting him. We have to go Young or Cutler if we don't trade down.

If you draft D'Brick at 4, our qb situation is screwed. It's much more feasible that a guy like Andrew Whitworth or Darryn Colledge develops into a good starting tackle than a guy like Whitehurst or egg like Croyle develops into a franchise qb.

I don't want to hear this crap about waiting til next year to get Brady Quinn. Who knows what our record will be and whether we'll even have a chance of drafting him. We have to go Young or Cutler if we don't trade down.

If we take Vince Young at #4,our QB situation is 10 times more screwed than if we were to take a franchise LT.

If we take Vince Young at #4,our QB situation is 10 times more screwed than if we were to take a franchise LT.
Can't be worse than it already is . at least vince gives us a chance to win games,and with a good defense we could surprise alot of teams out there this year.it's better than being the door matt of the AFC and the laughing stock of the NFL. And as far as D'brick he won't be there ,and he can't take over a game and win it for us like vince can. IMO

Archived