Offsides "controversy" in Chiefs-Buffs game

rbstern

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

They don't really. It never was fair and it never will be 

In 2007 a Jets season ticket holder sued the NFL for $185 million and the case reached the US Supreme Court. The Jets fan argued that, all Jets fans are entitled to refunds because they paid for a ticket to a legitimate sporting event. Had he been aware that the games were not real then we would not have gone.

The Judge stated that a ticket to a game only provides you access to the stadium. The fan entered the stadium, witnessed a game, therefore he did not suffer any damages. The fan’s lawyer disagreed and argued that the NFL committed consumer fraud.

Judges ruled that fixing a game for entertainment purposes was completely LEGAL.

For entertainment purposes.  You can't gamble on the WWE.  Yet.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Do you think in any way that Toney's foot being 5 inches over the line could in any way help the Chiefs score a TD? You don't need to wait until after the fact to know what types of fouls change a play, ie Holding, false starts, PI, Etc. 

I'm not defending the way the Chiefs reacted to the call, but this is a football game, not a surgical operation. 

Doesn’t make a difference, he was off sides.  A foul is a foul.  This is a football game, of that you’re 100% right, and for 100 years off sides is off sides. 

The argument against calling an off sides off sides is silly, no matter the team.  Mahomes and Reid came off as clowns wanting special treatment.  

• Sympathy 1

Not going to read thru this thread, but coach at the school level.  Split end play 101 - you face the line judge with outside hand extended.  "I'm on" or "i'm off".  You then wait for acknowledgement from the line judge before turning your head to the football.  As a courtesy, the line judge will tell you to move up or move back accordingly.  I don't see a great effort by Toney to engage with the line judge, think it's an ok call.  If I'm the QB i'm interrogating Toney more than I'm screaming at the officials.  

45 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

For entertainment purposes.  You can't gamble on the WWE.  Yet.

reread the text -  the NFL is both "a legitimate sporting event" and "entertainment that can be fixed" 

it exists in a gray area 

and what gamblers can bet on is set by the state laws - in Ireland you can bet on Oscar winners and political election results

23 hours ago, rbstern said:

or the Chiefs are the whiniest sore losers in the league.

This!  The Jets get these calls all the time against them, and they don't cry like whiny crybabies!  

I'm glad that the Chiefs lost the game, and I'm glad the offsides call was made.

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

reread the text -  the NFL is both "a legitimate sporting event" and "entertainment that can be fixed" 

it exists in a gray area 

and what gamblers can bet on is set by the state laws - in Ireland you can bet on Oscar winners and political election results

This is not Ireland and Ireland is not a state.  You cannot bet on the WWE.  The reason is because it is fixed.  I am sure they are working around that, but if you think the NFL is going to admit that it is fixed before Vince has that ironed out for them, you're nuts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

how is it a dumb call? he was clearly offsides....there's a reason you can't line up offsides, just like you can't line up off sides on defense. it gives an advantage, slight or not it doesn't matter. toney has been playing this game a long time, if he doesn't line up right that is HIS fault. no one else's. 

I should restate what I meant. It's a dumb rule, and the refs are known to be very inconsistent in what they call. If they hadn't called that offsides the game would have had the exact same outcome as if Toney was lined up correctly. I guess my issue is how the rules are made, not the actual call itself. We watch these games for entertainment, and these types of calls a big part of the reason why people think this season has been so bad.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

what about 10 inches? 20? What's the rule we should make about how much one can violate a particular rule? Should this be like a sub-addendum to the rule itself or a separate rule?

I don't know, I'm not an expert. However, I do know that these calls happen and the mistake often does not have any effect on the play. I'm not watching a game to see if everyone is playing perfectly, I'm watching the game for fun. 

Plus, if that was Garrett Wilson and they called that with the game on the line, I assure you the sentiment around this would be different. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is not Ireland and Ireland is not a state.  You cannot bet on the WWE.  The reason is because it is fixed.  I am sure they are working around that, but if you think the NFL is going to admit that it is fixed before Vince has that ironed out for them, you're nuts.

i don't think it will ever be admitted and I don't think there's an actual script but there sure are storylines 

3 hours ago, Hex said:

I don't know, I'm not an expert. However, I do know that these calls happen and the mistake often does not have any effect on the play. I'm not watching a game to see if everyone is playing perfectly, I'm watching the game for fun. 

Plus, if that was Garrett Wilson and they called that with the game on the line, I assure you the sentiment around this would be different. 

There's plenty of rules that I'd agree with you, but this one is not the hill to die on. Don't cower out.. how far past the line of scrimmage should a player be allowed to line up prior to the snap before it's starts being an advantage to them?

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's plenty of rules that I'd agree with you, but this one is not the hill to die on. Don't cower out.. how far past the line of scrimmage should a player be allowed to line up prior to the snap before it's starts being an advantage to them?

The player's foot has to be all the way past the LOS. It's pretty arbitrary, but you asked for something. I wasn't cowering out, I'm just not an expert and I don't want to spend 3 hours researching head start physics. Take what you want with it.

5 hours ago, Hex said:

Nah.   We are so used to getting screwed that we re surprised when it doesnt happen!