Rodgers - "I don't want next year to be my last year"

Just now, Augustiniak said:

This probably isn’t what happens though.  The jets could simply pick 10th and take a tackle.  It’s going to be a boring draft for the jets 

Oh, I agree. 

In reality, both Alt and MHJ will be gone when we pick. 

I took that purely as a hypothetical dream scenario

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If you have already signed a good #2 WR, you have to take Alt, BUT MHJ might be the best player in the draft so IDK

Both are excellent players - MHJ is the type of guy you just don't pass on IMO. BUT - I do think you have to look at it differently because of the Rodgers window. It's a lot easier to upgrade WR in free agency than it is OT.

I don't think it's an easy decision.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Probably.  Problem is that’s probably only true for one more year.  Rodgers will probably retire after next season I don’t buy any of his bs

i think it depends on how next year goes. if we make the playoffs i think he comes back cause we got close. if he is bad and the team is bad i think he retires.

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're on the clock and both Harrison Jr & Joe Alt are on the board.

What's your plan?

I think we probably should have added a very good WR in FA by this time.

It's tough. This year specifically is a really good year for short term FAs. Off the top of my head, I know Evans, Higgins, Pittman Jr are definitely UFAs. A bunch of WRs on expiring or trade-friendly contracts as well.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined to take the sure fire pro bowl WR over the potential pro bowl LT 10 times out of 10. I know that's entirely counterintuitive to most people, but LTs have a unique ability to miss significant amounts of time, they're not always plug and play in year 1, and they don't mean anything if the LG next to them is sh*t.

Between the short window we have with a potentially healthy Rodgers, and his ability to mask so many deficiencies on the OL, I think Harrison Jr over Alt is probably the way to go. 

27 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It's tough. This year specifically is a really good year for short term FAs. Off the top of my head, I know Evans, Higgins, Pittman Jr are definitely UFAs. A bunch of WRs on expiring or trade-friendly contracts as well.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined to take the sure fire pro bowl WR over the potential pro bowl LT 10 times out of 10. I know that's entirely counterintuitive to most people, but LTs have a unique ability to miss significant amounts of time, they're not always plug and play in year 1, and they don't mean anything if the LG next to them is sh*t.

Between the short window we have with a potentially healthy Rodgers, and his ability to mask so many deficiencies on the OL, I think Harrison Jr over Alt is probably the way to go. 

I wouldn't want Higgins based on the money he will command and the fact he can't stay healthy.

They need to save their cap space for GW.

You can't really afford to pay 2 WRs in this league at the same time high-end money.

The Dolphins are fortunate to have Waddle on a rookie deal.

The answer is to draft a great young WR like Harrison Jr and have him under cheap team control for 5+ years.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I wouldn't want Higgins based on the money he will command and the fact he can't stay healthy.

They need to save their cap space for GW.

You can't really afford to pay 2 WRs in this league at the same time high-end money.

The Dolphins are fortunate to have Waddle on a rookie deal.

The answer is to draft a great young WR like Harrison Jr and have him under cheap team control for 5+ years.

Harrison Jr won't be there for us, but Malik Nabers and Keon Coleman will be . . . 

This a good WR class

• Upvote 2

• I love Garrett Wilson, but the Jets are not saving their money for him.  He is in year 2 of a 4 year contract.  There is a 5th year option.  he will be a Jet for 5 years and then move on unless we find QB to replace Rodgers after we incur the ultimate Cap Hit for Rodgers in 2026.  
  • I think, as a general matter, WRs picked 8-18 have had a larger impact in the NFL than OTs.  The great OTs tend to go top 5.  See Becton over CD Lamb, for example.  Or Justin Jefferson, Garrett Wilson, etc.   Who are we signing FA WR?  I think the goal should be to trade the 2025 1st round pick for whatever we can get an find OL with that pick.  It is critical to find a FA T.  

Frankly it would be great if he were capable of playing more than two more seasons.  Obviously we don’t want him to be like Peyton at the end or other QBs who stay too long. But his leadership plus the prospect of winning records will go a long to stabilizing this team in the future.  Of course there’s a chance that Baghdad bob will still be coach but there’s always a chance he learns how to be a coach and hire competent subordinates.