AVT - Guard or Tackle?

slimjasi

AVT - Guard or Tackle?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should AVT play Guard or Tackle next year?

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know he was playing T when he got injured the last two years but is there any actual medical evidence that he's more vulnerable to injury playing one position over another? I've never seen it if it exists.

He also was playing in Denver and on real grass both times he got injured. Should we blame the high altitude? Should we blame real grass? What about the legal marijuana? Do ice cream sales cause shark attacks?

corrCause1-768x557.png

When it comes to injuries I don't know if they're predictable at all. Last year I argued against trading for Lamar Jackson because off all his recent injuries. Now the dude is the front runner for MVP again.

AVT played both G & T in college and in the NFL. He has played both positions at a high level in the NFL. Why people insist he is a G and not a T is beyond me. I don't believe the position caused the injury unless there's some real medical science that can back that up. IMO we should leverage his versatility and try to upgrade with the best T or G possible and play him where the hole remains. It's probably going to be a lot easier to get good interior linemen than tackles this year.

This narrative about him getting hurt because he was played out of position is just another excuse to attack the cs or management. I have yet to see any REAL data to back it up....been waitign on that one for awhile now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

This narrative about him getting hurt because he was played out of position is just another excuse to attack the cs or management. I have yet to see any REAL data to back it up....been waitign on that one for awhile now. 

While I don’t have the actual numbers - the outcome is curious. 

Something like (these are guesses)

20ish games at Guard, no injuries. 

7ish games at T, 2 season ending injuries. 

Sure, it’s got statistically significant and but it should have you thinking.  

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I don’t have the actual numbers - the outcome is curious. 

Something like (these are guesses)

20ish games at Guard, no injuries. 

7ish games at T, 2 season ending injuries. 

Sure, it’s got statistically significant and but it should have you thinking.  

no not really...unless he got injured playing OT in college as well. Then we might have a definitive answer but ALL of our oline has been getting injured the last few years at different positions. 

Hard to say definitively if the position made any diffrence. 

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

no not really...unless he got injured playing OT in college as well. Then we might have a definitive answer but ALL of our oline has been getting injured the last few years at different positions. 

Hard to say definitively if the position made any diffrence. 

Certainly not definitive.....But it has me concerned...

Actually the bigger concern, for me, isn't the position as much as it is the moving around.    I suspect if you put him at T and leave him at T that'll be fine too.  

Just give him a position and leave him there.  

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

For real guys? @Jetsfan80@Barry McCockinner @JetsFlyer

Screenshot_20231228_081205_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d67f32f86a0cf81a4a75e763e8ee066e.jpg

The tackle position is not the underlying reason for his injury,  but it could play a part of it.

My preference is that we maximize his positional flexibility and get the best guard or tackle we can and plug him in where we couldn't upgrade. So my answer is either really but it's going to be easier to get a starting guard.

I don't buy the injuries happened because he was playing tackle. No one has backed that up with anything of substance.

Our o-line looked pretty good for a couple of weeks early in the season when we had Becton and AVT at tackle. Didn't last long.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Where do y’all want to see him play next year? Right before his injury this year, Saleh was talking about making him a RT long term. 

I didn’t like that idea initially, but given that we will need two new starting tackles next year with limited resources with which to acquire them, the quickest path to an above average OL might be moving AVT to RT and then drafting the best left tackle we can in the 1st + another guard or two later in the draft + whomever we can grab in FA. 

I still prefer guard - but what say you - OG or OT? 

AVT stays at Guard.

Draft a RT (we will miss out on Alt and Fashanu so our only option will be Fuaga or Latham- both RTs). Plug and play Fuaga/Latham at RT. Its risky, but its what we gotta do. Both guys are monsters. 

Sign the best vet LT on the FA market (Tyron Smith?). 

Cut Tomlinson and sign a Guard - Glasgow, Peat, Zeitler, Risner - whoever fits best.

Trade for D.Adams: 2nd rounder next year that turns into a 1st if we get into the playoffs + 4th Rd. pick this year. Immediately rework D.Adams deal to lower the cap hit. Rodgers might have some influence to help with negotiations. 

Draft Braelon Allen-RB Wisconsin in Rd. 3. This is a BAD MAN. 

Draft a SLOT WR in Rd. 4 to add to depth, should be a number of great options. 

Rd. 4 - Adams trade, no pick. 

Draft a G for depth in Rd. 5. 

Draft Joe Milton III in Rd. 6 and park his squarely on the bench as a third stringer.  

5 hours ago, Bronx said:

For real guys? @Jetsfan80@Barry McCockinner @JetsFlyer

Screenshot_20231228_081205_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d67f32f86a0cf81a4a75e763e8ee066e.jpg

The tackle position is not the underlying reason for his injury,  but it could play a part of it.

Or he just might be injury prone in general.  As @Barry McCockinner pointed out, sticking AVT at RT maximizes his value and fills the more difficult need to acquire.

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

This best vet LT could be Becton.  Best of a sorry lot.  

I don't think he is better than Tyron Smith. I don't think Becton is MORE or LESS likely to get hurt than Tyron Smith is. And I don't really care about the age dif. Because I would not be signing Smith to a long term deal anyway and I doubt he would be looking for one (3 yr max). 

Becton would be cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Or he just might be injury prone in general.  As @Barry McCockinner pointed out, sticking AVT at RT maximizes his value and fills the more difficult need to acquire.

He may just be injury prone in general. However, both season ending injuries happened shortly after taking the RT position. We really don't know. However, sticking him closer to the middle should lessen chance at injury if he is prone anyways. Guard is his natural spot, even if he is good at tackle.