For the young guys on this message board...

NIGHT STALKER

For those that have been following the Jets for less than 20 years, you have to understand just how God awful the Jets were after the AFL and the NFL merged......

The Jets did not live up to expectations after joining the NFL. In their first season after the merger, Joe Namath broke his wrist in October and had to sit out the rest of the year, with the Jets finishing 4-10. Another injury to Namath before the 1971 season submarined the Jets that year as well, with Bob Davis and Al Woodall leading the team to a 6-8 record. Namath was back for the 1972 season, leading the team to a respectable 7-7. After another disappointing season in 1973, Coach Weeb Ewbank retired. The Jets went through three coaches for the next three seasons. After a late-season surge to finish 7-7 in 1974, the Jets finished 3-11 each year until 1977. Namath left the Jets after the 1976 season, playing one year with the Los Angeles Rams before retiring. Walt Michaels was hired for the 1977 season and stayed with the team for six years.

So, don't get too upset for the next year or two...some of us have been through quite a bit...be patient. Better times are coming!:cheers:

For those that have been following the Jets for less than 20 years, you have to understand just how God awful the Jets were after the AFL and the NFL merged......

So, don't get too upset for the next year or two...some of us have been through quite a bit...be patient. Better times are coming!:cheers:

...and some of us are old enough to remember when the New York Jets were not only the best team in professional football, but also the coolest. Those days will return again soon. It won't be as long as you think.

I've watched a lot of old games from the O'Brien / Todd days on video and I was named after Joe Namath so I was born into the misery.:cheers:

Your misery will be over soon. These new guys are smart, and I think they are going to build us a winner.

When I was growing up, the perennial doormats of pro football were the Pittsburgh Steelers. Nobody's thought of them that way in 35 years. The Jets are headed for the same sort of transformation.

... and the last shall be first...

I remember 1-15. Ah memories. My father had brought home a huge banner with the Jets Schedule on it before the season started, like you'd see in a bar to check off wins and losses. Had that damn thing hanging in my room until I graduated High School in 96. When I pulled it down, the thing literally disintegrated in my hands. Wish I still had that.

I became a fan close to the end of the Richard Todd days. The mud bowl is not the best of memories, neither was Todd's end zone int at shea in the wild card game against the Bills. Back then I thought that the Jets and Yankees went to the playoffs every year.

The Jets did not live up to expectations after joining the NFL. In their first season after the merger, Joe Namath broke his wrist in October and had to sit out the rest of the year, with the Jets finishing 4-10. Another injury to Namath before the 1971 season submarined the Jets that year as well, with Bob Davis and Al Woodall leading the team to a 6-8 record. Namath was back for the 1972 season, leading the team to a respectable 7-7. After another disappointing season in 1973, Coach Weeb Ewbank retired. The Jets went through three coaches for the next three seasons. After a late-season surge to finish 7-7 in 1974, the Jets finished 3-11 each year until 1977. Namath left the Jets after the 1976 season, playing one year with the Los Angeles Rams before retiring. Walt Michaels was hired for the 1977 season and stayed with the team for six years.

i'm gettin mixed signals here man. sure i've been a jet fan for 36 yrs. did you just call me old though?

i'm gettin mixed signals here man. sure i've been a jet fan for 36 yrs. did you just call me old though?

LOL...you're as old as you feel. I got you beat by about 6 years on the fan thing though. I blame your handle for being a Jets fan though...:Nuts:

One of my earliest (and most painful) memories was the loss to cleveland in the playoffs. I still think about it.

Of all the playoff losses they have had that one still bothers me the

most. Even Brien doesn't bother me as much as that one.

If Gastineau didn't hit kozar five minutes after he thru the ball we would

have been in the SB.

I told my sons not to mention his name in my presence.

Of all the playoff losses they have had that one still bothers me the

most. Even Brien doesn't bother me as much as that one.

If Gastineau didn't hit kozar five minutes after he thru the ball we would

have been in the SB.

I told my sons not to mention his name in my presence.

That Cleveland game should make all Jet fans sick- that is an example why I hate guys that showboat- reminds me of Gastineau

That Cleveland game should make all Jet fans sick- that is an example why I hate guys that showboat- reminds me of Gastineau

You guys have to understand that I was very young when that went down, probably around 10 or 11, so I used to love the stupid sack dance he would do back then and my favorite player was Gastineu in a very big way. But then for him to come out and do what he did and cost us a playoff game destroyed me, it was like watching my world self destruct.

That game SUCKED because we were really good that year, and we had a shot to make some serious noise!

Shortly thereafter, I went W. Walker as my favorite and never looked back!

When I was about 3 or 4, my mom took me to some street-fair where we had won this little Rocky Balboa doll. Anyways, we saw Mark Gastineau a little while later and my mom had him autograph my Rocky doll. Weird.

Yes, that was a little weird.

Greetings: I'm currently preparing to enter stasis aboard the spaceship Discovery, as Commander Poole and I head out to Jupiter to investigate a strange monolith like object. Upon arrival 4 years from now, please advise as to whether the Jets have won a Super Bowl yet.

Signed,

HAL9000

Your misery will be over soon. These new guys are smart, and I think they are going to build us a winner.

When I was growing up, the perennial doormats of pro football were the Pittsburgh Steelers. Nobody's thought of them that way in 35 years. The Jets are headed for the same sort of transformation.

... and the last shall be first...

I'm hoping you guys get to experience a SB winner in the near future. There is nothing like it in all of sports IMO. Just an overall great feeling to have your team be crowned champs of the NFL. I went through alot of bad seasons between 1980 and 1992, but am feeling pretty blessed and fortunate overall to be a Steelers fan. Hell, at one point, my season was made as long as we beat the clowns just once. That was my Super Bowl alot of years.

I'm hoping you guys get to experience a SB winner in the near future. There is nothing like it in all of sports IMO. Just an overall great feeling to have your team be crowned champs of the NFL. I went through alot of bad seasons between 1980 and 1992, but am feeling pretty blessed and fortunate overall to be a Steelers fan. Hell, at one point, my season was made as long as we beat the clowns just once. That was my Super Bowl alot of years.

Living 15 miles from Super Bowl XL will probably be the extent of my Super Bowl experience

Archived