5 players in play for Jets at #10

These players are not in order of preference, just players that I think are squarely in play at #10. (Highlights included for all players) For those who don't want to watch:

Started with 2 assumptions

1) 3 QBs, MHJ, Nabers, Alt, and Fashanu are all off the board

2) We have the same needs as we currently have

- the video is 15 mins and I provide a little more in-depth commentary than these screen shots but will provide the gist of the information

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.09.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.09.00 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.08.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.08.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.07.43 AM.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

So crazy to me that we might have a shot at a kid like Bowers, who is universally rated as a top-5 talent in the draft, simply because of the position he plays.  Just look at those big board rankings compared to the other guys. 

I really like Bowers. I'd love to sign Tyron Smith or Mike Enwenu as LT. As much as I don't love Becton, maybe bring him back for RT with AVT as the emergency RT. If you do that then I think it opens up #10 for BPA. My board for us right now:

Alt

Fashanu

Bowers

Odunze

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think the obvious pick is staring us in the face.  

JC Latham is the runaway choice.  Talent meets need.

We just have fatboy PTSD from Mekhi.

Lol yea seems like a lot of fans are afraid of him due to his size. I could go either way on him honestly. Fuaga at the Senior Bowl is gonna be important. His SoS was the weakest I've come across so far.

• Upvote 1

I am moving more into the Trade Back camp I think.

The Jets continue to have so many needs, especially on offense, and no 2nd round pick.

Unless they make big moves in FA to clearly solve their WR2 and OT problems, they need to accumulate some more picks IMO, if only to be able to grab a developmental QB prospect in Round 2.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets continue to have so many needs, especially on offense, and no 2nd round pick.

Unless they make big moves in FA to clearly solve their WR2 and OT problems, they need to accumulate some more picks IMO, if only to be able to grab a developmental QB prospect in Round 2.

I’d feel much better about this if we adequately sign a LT im free agency. But are any options going to really be dependable? The best talent guys have injury question marks.

There are better RT options in free agency which still leaves that hole at LT.

• Upvote 1

The noise linking Bowers to the Jets shouldn’t be ignored. After OL and DL, the position Joe Douglas has expressed an affinity for most is TE. A real difference maker at the position can arguably make the single biggest impact on an offense second to the QB. He had high grades on Pitts in 2021 and Mayer last year… wouldn’t surprise me if they went with Bowers in the event that their top OL were gone

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

The noise linking Bowers to the Jets shouldn’t be ignored. After OL and DL, the position Joe Douglas has expressed an affinity for most is TE. A real difference maker at the position can arguably make the single biggest impact on an offense second to the QB. He had high grades on Pitts in 2021 and Mayer last year… wouldn’t surprise me if they went with Bowers in the event that their top OL were gone

Looking at the 8 teams left in the playoffs you've got Kelce, Kittle, Andrews (although injured but helped Baltimore to the #1 seed), and some bigtime rookies in LaPorta and Kincaid (with Knox).  That seems like a decent correlation between good TEs and making the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Looking at the 8 teams left in the playoffs you've got Kelce, Kittle, Andrews (although injured but helped Baltimore to the #1 seed), and some bigtime rookies in LaPorta and Kincaid (with Knox).  That seems like a decent correlation between good TEs and making the playoffs.

I’d argue this is merely a coincidence. The correlation I see is that all these teams have good OLs and great QB play at minimum. That’s not to diminish the importance of TE, but it would be a crazy luxury for the Jets to take a TE in round 1.

14 hours ago, football guy said:

I’d argue this is merely a coincidence. The correlation I see is that all these teams have good OLs and great QB play at minimum. That’s not to diminish the importance of TE, but it would be a crazy luxury for the Jets to take a TE in round 1.

This, but recognizing that draft grades play a part. I think TE is low key/covertly a huge difference maker in winning games, but it won't show up on the stat sheet (or sports center) necessarily -- that said the need at other positions is so significant that Bowers would need a *true* elite grade to be the selection

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This, but recognizing that draft grades play a part. I think TE is low key/covertly a huge difference maker in winning games, but it won't show up on the state sheet (or sports center) necessarily -- that said the need at other positions is so significant that Bowers would need a *true* elite grade to be the selection

Totally agree. Ideal world your not drafting for need but the Jets have backed themselves into a corner this year. If we had a 2nd round pick, I’d have no problem selecting Bowers at #10 and trading back up into the 1st round to select a guy like Tyler Guyton/Kinglsey Suamataia/Jordan Morgan. As it stands I think whoever they draft will wind up starting out on the right side anyway which gives the team more flexibility who they select and where, but ultimately I just expect them to plug-and-play the best tackle prospect available at #10

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Are you hitting on me?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I’ll be pretty surprised if we don’t make some moves in UFA. This regime knows they can’t **** around. I would expect a new OT, a backup QB, and at least one WR(maybe a lower level guy) to all be signed. Probably bring back Becton as well. My guess is they’ll want to have the OL settled going into the draft, so they’re not relying on Olu or Alt to fall but if they do, they’ll still take one. 

After that though it’s all depth pieces IMO outside of DT, which I’d either look to grab in the 3rd or package that with a 4th to move up. But yeah, if they’re somewhat aggressive I don’t see why they can’t address every hole this offseason. 

On 1/15/2024 at 9:04 AM, bonkertons said:

So crazy to me that we might have a shot at a kid like Bowers, who is universally rated as a top-5 talent in the draft, simply because of the position he plays.  Just look at those big board rankings compared to the other guys. 

Oh the big board January rankings.

He is a TE enough.

Get a Sam LaPorta in the 3rd.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:27 PM, football guy said:

Good point. Word was they loved Pitts and Mayer, so like you said, JD is looking at that position.

Off thread topic, but whats going on with Bryce Huff?

8 minutes ago, Barton said:

Good point. Word was they loved Pitts and Mayer, so like you said, JD is looking at that position.

Off thread topic, but whats going on with Bryce Huff?

Teams very rarely draft without looking into the future a bit, and when the Jets drafted Will McDonald it kind of was the writing on the wall for Huff. They have the same trait strengths/weaknesses and will likely be used in the same ways. Besides, the Jets have made it clear how they feel about WMD so it’s only natural to expect that he’ll get his opportunity to play more the way Jermaine Johnson did over Carl Lawson this year. The bigger question is whether they let him walk or tag-and-trade him. 

Personally, I don’t expect him back, but not via FA. I expect tag-and-trade. It’s very rare to see young productive edge rushers hit the open market and while he hasn’t had the stats, his efficiency is bonkers. There will certainly be a market for him and if your Joe Douglas, would you rather land a 2nd-to-3rd round pick this year or a compensatory 3rd next year? The question really becomes who and for what. Jets will probably slap him with the non-exclusive tag which will allow him to openly negotiate with teams, then trade him as soon as the league year opens. Even if they send him away for less than he’s worth (i.e. a 3rd round pick), they’re going to want that asset this year rather than wait for a comp pick next year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He is a TE enough.

show me the list of Sams in the 3rd...  I love you, but you're clueless on this one. Just hang up em at "I don't want a TE".. i can respect that. Trying to throw water on the prospect is not working for you. 

7 hours ago, football guy said:

Teams very rarely draft without looking into the future a bit, and when the Jets drafted Will McDonald it kind of was the writing on the wall for Huff. They have the same trait strengths/weaknesses and will likely be used in the same ways. Besides, the Jets have made it clear how they feel about WMD so it’s only natural to expect that he’ll get his opportunity to play more the way Jermaine Johnson did over Carl Lawson this year. The bigger question is whether they let him walk or tag-and-trade him. 

Personally, I don’t expect him back, but not via FA. I expect tag-and-trade. It’s very rare to see young productive edge rushers hit the open market and while he hasn’t had the stats, his efficiency is bonkers. There will certainly be a market for him and if your Joe Douglas, would you rather land a 2nd-to-3rd round pick this year or a compensatory 3rd next year? The question really becomes who and for what. Jets will probably slap him with the non-exclusive tag which will allow him to openly negotiate with teams, then trade him as soon as the league year opens. Even if they send him away for less than he’s worth (i.e. a 3rd round pick), they’re going to want that asset this year rather than wait for a comp pick next year.

Makes sense. Its just so dissapointing on JDs/Jets end.

Figure out a way to play Jermaine (who isnt that great IMO but a good player), McDonald and Huff at the same time on the field. Its more than doable.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

show me the list of Sams in the 3rd...  I love you, but you're clueless on this one. Just hang up em at "I don't want a TE".. i can respect that. Trying to throw water on the prospect is not working for you. 

Kelce 3rd round

Kittle 5th round (who I begged the Jets to draft)

LaPorta 2nd Round

Gronk 2nd round 

Mark Andrews 3rd round 

Gates undrafted

Ertz 2nd round 

Witten 3rd round

Tony Gonzalez 7th round 

Jimmy Graham 3rd round

Darren Waller 6th round

Dalton Schultz 4th round

Cade Otton 3rd round

Pat Freirmouth 2nd round

Higbee 4th round

Isiah Likely 4th round 

And I can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

You stop embarrassing yourself!

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He is a TE enough.

There is no point to this though.  The only reason we'd be targeting a TE is because said TE is Bowers.  Drafting anyone else at that position makes little sense for us.  

30 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

There is no point to this though.  The only reason we'd be targeting a TE is because said TE is Bowers.  Drafting anyone else at that position makes little sense for us.  

Drafting Bowers top 10 makes little sense to anyone.

• More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Kelce 3rd round

Kittle 5th round (who I begged the Jets to draft)

LaPorta 2nd Round

Gronk 2nd round 

Mark Andrews 3rd round 

Gates undrafted

Ertz 2nd round 

Witten 3rd round

Tony Gonzalez 7th round 

Jimmy Graham 3rd round

Darren Waller 6th round

Dalton Schultz 4th round

Cade Otton 3rd round

Pat Freirmouth 2nd round

Higbee 4th round

Isiah Likely 4th round 

And I can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

You stop embarrassing yourself!

So you've pooled together a list spanning over 20 years... and you've identified that ppl have traditionally drafted the position later than other positions. You've also highlighted in a few cases the, one of the top 2 TEs in the class in the 2nd round. Which is kinda counter to your argument.

You're also glossing over the other 425 TEs drafted in the 3rd to 4th round who never made it out of training camp.

Give yourself a cookie. 

31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So you've pooled together a list spanning over 20 years... and you've identified that ppl have traditionally drafted the position later than other positions. You've also highlighted in a few cases the, one of the top 2 TEs in the class in the 2nd round. Which is kinda counter to your argument.

You're also glossing over the other 425 TEs drafted in the 3rd to 4th round who never made it out of training camp.

Give yourself a cookie. 

My argument is you don’t take a TE top 10 no matter what period!

You couldn’t list half of what I listed that lived up to being drafted top 10 at TE.

I’ll wait.

Cookie was good.