Feels like this is the death grip top-nine right now

1. Feels like Caleb Williams scares off the Bears, who trade Fields for a two+ and take Maye. (FWIW, Kiper is suggesting that the Bears could ask for a high one for Fields, which seems nuts). Bears are casting a wide net for an OC, having interviewed Greg Roman and Kliff Kingsbury, so it remains to be seen what kind of offense they want to run, but Maye is the bankable choice who won’t burn the org to the ground if he doesn’t get his way. 

2. Commanders are supposed to be zeroing in on Ben Johnson at head coach, which—with Jahan Dotson and Terry McLaurin— should be enough to entice Caleb Williams to agree to come back home to DC. Williams is on the record as saying his #1 choice of destination would be the Dolphins, but it‘s hard to see how Miami could get that done unless Belichick were to take the Commanders job and he gets weird with a trade down for a few ones and Tua.

3. Kraft is going to give Jerod Mayo tons of rope to reset the roster, which allows them to take a swing on Daniels. Caveat: heard a report from The Athletic’s Pats beat writer saying that Belichick wanted to trade Mac Jones this past offseason, but Kraft wouldn’t let him, so it’s not impossible that Kraft pushes Mayo to draft Marvin Harrison and give Jones another look with a new OC

4. Cardinals would just take MHJ in this scenario. If Harrison is gone, Cardinals could shop this pick for anyone wanting a tackle, Nabers, or Daniels. 

5. Chargers could go Odunze, Nabers, or Bowers at this spot, but their right tackle situation is bad-bad and they have to do something to keep Herbert from dying young. Their two big receivers come with massive cap charges next season and Quentin Johnston looks like a catastrophic bust, so receiver is absolutely in play, but it’s going to be that or a tackle to pair with Slater.

6. Giants have a desperate need at WR1, but they also have a problem on their hands with Evan Neal, who stinks and might be a headcase. That said, the Giants just went through this with Andrew Thomas, who sucked as a rookie and showed up in year two looking awesome. Guessing they don’t pass on Nabers, who’ll remind Daboll and Schoen of Stephon Diggs. It’d be fun if Jayden Daniels fell to this spot, but that’s unlikely as of right now. Giants have to eat sh*t with one more year of Daniel Jones’ contract. 

7. Titans: the Titans OL was at the bottom of the league performance-wise, as Keith Carter was able to tank the seasons of two franchises simultaneously. GM Ran Carthon gave Andre Dillard a ton of money to play OLT, but he’s been a disaster and needs to be replaced. 

8. Belichick coming to the Falcons probably disqualifies them from trading up for or drafting a quarterback, and Bowers is Belichick’s dream pick. Guessing they trade Kyle Pitts in this scenario, unless Josh McDaniels wants to recreate his Gronkowski/Aaron Hernandez magic with the two of them. This would become the prime Kirk Cousins landing spot. 

9. This is a real swingy pick as it relates to the Jets chances of stealing a big receiver or tackle. The Bears have options with this pick, but they need another WR to pair with DJ Moore and they might lose their great CB1 Jaylon Johnson, so they could be reaching for Terrion Arnold. 

10. I picked Fautanu for the Jets over the RT only guys (Latham and Fuaga) because the Jets need three new starting caliber OL regardless of position and Fautanu might be the best player of the lot, even if he ends up at guard. Dane Brugler said Fautanu would be the OL that a team like the Eagles would draft if they could, which is obviously high praise. After the Becton embarrassment, Douglas can’t afford to reach for Amarius Mims—who projects to LT but has a brutal injury history—and he shouldn’t take one of the RT stiffs because he can’t risk them being a liability in pass pro as rookies. 

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Feels like Caleb Williams scares off the Bears, who trade Fields for a two+ and take Maye. (FWIW, Kiper is suggesting that the Bears could ask for a high one for Fields, which seems nuts). Bears are casting a wide net for an OC, having interviewed Greg Roman and Kliff Kingsbury, so it remains to be seen what kind of offense they want to run, but Maye is the bankable choice who won’t burn the org to the ground if he doesn’t get his way. 

2. Commanders are supposed to be zeroing in on Ben Johnson at head coach, which—with Jahan Dotson and Terry McLaurin— should be enough to entice Caleb Williams to agree to come back home to DC. Williams is on the record as saying his #1 choice of destination would be the Dolphins, but it‘s hard to see how Miami could get that done unless Belichick were to take the Commanders job and he gets weird with a trade down for a few ones and Tua.

3. Seems like Kraft is going to give Jerod Mayo tons of rope to reset the roster, which allows them to take a swing on Daniels. Caveat: heard a report from The Athletic’s Pats beat writer saying that Belichick wanted to trade Mac Jones this past offseason, but Kraft wouldn’t let him, so it’s not impossible that Kraft forces Mayo to give Jones another look with a new OC and then take Marvin Harrison here. 

4. Cardinals would just take MHJ in this scenario. If Harrison is gone, Cardinals could shop this pick for anyone wanting a tackle, Nabers, or Daniels. 

5. Chargers could go Odunze, Nabers, or Bowers here, but their right tackle situation is bad-bad and they have to do something to keep Herbert from dying young. Their two big receivers come with massive cap charges next season and Quentin Johnston looks like a catastrophic bust, so receiver is absolutely in play, but it’s going to be that or a tackle to pair with Slater.

6. Giants have a desperate need at WR1, but they also have a problem on their hands with Evan Neal, who sucks and might be a headcase. That said, the Giants just went through this with Andrew Thomas, who sucked as a rookie and showed up in year two looking awesome. Guessing they don’t pass on Nabers, who’ll remind Daboll and Schoen of Stephon Diggs. It’d be fun if Jayden Daniels fell to this spot, but that’s unlikely as of right now. Giants have to eat sh*t with one more year of Daniel Jones’ contract. 

7. Titans: the Titans OL was at the bottom of the league performance-wise, as Keith Carter was able to tank the seasons to two franchises simultaneously. GM Ran Carthon gave Andre Dillard a ton of money to play OLT, but he’s been a disaster and needs to be replaced. 

8. Belichick coming to the Falcons probably disqualifies them from trading up for or drafting a quarterback, and Bowers is Belichick’s dream pick. Guessing they trade Kyle Pitts in this scenario, unless Josh McDaniels wants to recreate his Gronkowski/Aaron Hernandez magic with the two of them. This would become the prime Kirk Cousins landing spot. 

9. This is a real swingy pick as it relates to the Jets chances of stealing a big receiver or tackle. The Bears have options with this pick, but they need another WR to pair with DJ Moore and they might lose their great CB1 Jaylon Johnson, so they could be reaching for Terrion Arnold. 

10. I picked Fautanu for the Jets over the RT only guys (Latham and Fuaga) because the Jets need three new starting caliber OL regardless of position and Fautanu might be the best player of the lot, even if he ends up at guard. Dane Brugler said Fautanu would be the OL that a team like the Eagles would draft if they could, which is obviously high praise. After the Becton embarrassment, Douglas can’t afford to reach for Amarius Mims—who projects to LT but has a brutal injury history—and he shouldn’t take one of the RT stiffs because he can’t risk them being a liability in pass pro as rookies. 

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

What about Kool-Aid McKinstry?

That is an interesting pick. They need bodies, and if it ended up being a guard I wonder if AVT moves to tackle.

I think they are going to have to reclaim Laken's money. But if they brought him back could the interior be Laken - Tippmann - Fautanu?

AVT at Left Tackle, Carter Warren at Right Tackle?

You would still be left with major injury concerns at several positions. And I think Laken's time is up. But does he renegotiate and do the Jets settle because he is legit the only guy that doesn't get hurt?

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is an interesting pick. They need bodies, and if it ended up being a guard I wonder if AVT moves to tackle.

I think they are going to have to reclaim Laken's money. But if they brought him back could the interior be Laken - Tippmann - Fautanu?

AVT at Left Tackle, Carter Warren at Right Tackle?

You would still be left with major injury concerns at several positions. And I think Laken's time is up. But does he renegotiate and do the Jets settle because he is legit the only guy that doesn't get hurt?

I think they’d keep Laken because he’s been durable, at least, and he has the big dead cap number if cut. You’d be gambling that at least some of his issues were the result of inconsistent play from Becton to his left and Tippman to his right. IMO, if you have Fautanu, it gives them flexibility to put their five best guys on the field right away. With Latham, you’re locked in to playing him at right tackle. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Watch the raiders or Vikings trade ahead of atlanta to get a qb and change it all.  It really is possible a tackle slides to 10.  Or i can see the jets trading back as well.  Very interesting top of the draft. 

8-9 is really the cliff as of right now. On that simulator, the next guys up were Latu and his medical/athleticism flags, Dallas Turner, the two Bama corners, Latham, etc. Not sure who that next guy would be that’d inspire a team to come up to ten. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

8-9 is really the cliff as of right now. On that simulator, the next guys up were Latu and his medical/athleticism flags, Dallas Turner, the two Bama corners, Latham, etc. Not sure who that next guy would be that’d inspire a team to come up to ten. 

Mccarthy or penix.  But the jets seem worst case to be picking from the best RTs and truth they desperately need one.  Their bad RT play has got a few qbs killed the past few years

• Upvote 1

Good analysis, TS.

Bowers, Nabers, Alot and the Penn state LT all going before 10 is ugly for the Jets.

Obviously free agency will change things, but Jets might need to consider trading up for a tackle. Maybe package Huff and #10 to Arizona at #4 and take Joe Alt. There's too many teams ahead of the Jets who will consider O-line, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

3. Kraft is going to give Jerod Mayo tons of rope to reset the roster, which allows them to take a swing on Daniels. Caveat: heard a report from The Athletic’s Pats beat writer saying that Belichick wanted to trade Mac Jones this past offseason, but Kraft wouldn’t let him, so it’s not impossible that Kraft pushes Mayo to draft Marvin Harrison and give Jones another look with a new OC

5. Chargers could go Odunze, Nabers, or Bowers at this spot, but their right tackle situation is bad-bad and they have to do something to keep Herbert from dying young. Their two big receivers come with massive cap charges next season and Quentin Johnston looks like a catastrophic bust, so receiver is absolutely in play, but it’s going to be that or a tackle to pair with Slater.

6. Giants have a desperate need at WR1, but they also have a problem on their hands with Evan Neal, who stinks and might be a headcase. That said, the Giants just went through this with Andrew Thomas, who sucked as a rookie and showed up in year two looking awesome. Guessing they don’t pass on Nabers, who’ll remind Daboll and Schoen of Stephon Diggs. It’d be fun if Jayden Daniels fell to this spot, but that’s unlikely as of right now. Giants have to eat sh*t with one more year of Daniel Jones’ contract. 

7. Titans: the Titans OL was at the bottom of the league performance-wise, as Keith Carter was able to tank the seasons of two franchises simultaneously. GM Ran Carthon gave Andre Dillard a ton of money to play OLT, but he’s been a disaster and needs to be replaced. 

IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

Anybody but Bowers.

I’d be good with Fautanu but think Bowers drops like a rock because of position and injury history and Fautanu gone.

• Upvote 1

I think if the Bears are going to pass on Williams they make the Commanders give them something for him. Will be other movement before pick ten as well.

Allen and Williams are very cuttable for a team $45M over the cap. Think the pass catchers are a tier above the tackles in this class talent wise and with the tackle depth the Chargers go best player and punt tackle till later.

Don’t think Belichick wants another offensive skill player there. Defense more likely if not a QB. But I also think nobody knows what to do there which is why some are leaving Daniels there in mocks.

I think Dallas Turner and Terrion Arnold end up in the Odunze, Bowers, OT’s tier, maybe Laiatu Latu as well, and one of those guys goes top nine.

In this scenario it looks like a couple of teams behind the Jets are going to look at edge and if none of those guys are off the board I think maybe they’ll have an opportunity to slide down to allow a team to take another player in the tier - just a defensive one.

I like Fautanu and think he’ll end up fitting post free agency but don’t like the idea of taking the first player in a tier below. Slide down and take whoever’s left of Fautanu, Mims, Fuaga, Latham while picking up an extra pick or two.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, derp said:

I like Fautanu and think he’ll end up fitting post free agency but don’t like the idea of taking the first player in a tier below. Slide down and take whoever’s left of Fautanu, Mims, Fuaga, Latham while picking up an extra pick or two.

This is unfortunately where the Jets are in this draft. 

Top Tier is like 4 players and then 3QB’s will go when only 1 is actually worthy of a top 9 pick (Jayden Daniels he should go 1 and I actually am predicting he will go #1 I’d actually like to find a betting market for this and lay a sh*t ton on it)

I’ll say it again this is 2006 draft all over and Brock Bowers is the fools gold in the first just like Gholston was.

19 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is unfortunately where the Jets are in this draft. 

Top Tier is like 4 players and then 3QB’s will go when only 1 is actually worthy of a top 9 pick (Jayden Daniels he should go 1 and I actually am predicting he will go #1 I’d actually like to find a betting market for this and lay a sh*t ton on it)

I’ll say it again this is 2006 draft all over and Brock Bowers is the fools gold in the first just like Gholston was.

I am skeptical nine offensive players go with the first nine picks. Jets fans always overestimate how much players at positions of need will go above them and this year it's an entire side of the ball. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, derp said:

I am skeptical nine offensive players go with the first nine picks. Jets fans always overestimate how much players at positions of need will go above them and this year it's an entire side of the ball. 

I never side 9 offensive players 

I just don't see any scenario, even if BB is hired, that the Falcons will take Bowers.  Pitts' value has to be so much lower than his upside right now.  There are so many other areas Bill could address while giving himself a year to see what he can do with Pitts.  I agree he'd probably be a fan of Bowers, but I just don't see how he'll be able to make that work.  More likely he goes Odunze there, or he takes one of the top edge rushers or corners.  He just took Gonzalez last year when NE had other more glaring needs(OT, WR, QB).  CB is definitely a need for ATL, and unlike the Pats last year they are much more stocked on the offensive side of the ball.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall in love with DeJean, who he can use as a hybrid CB, S, slot CB, even LB at times.  

After that, Chicago probably takes Odunze and then we're sitting there with either Bowers or Fashanu on the board.  Maybe both.  

1. CHI: Caleb/Maye

2. WAS: Maye/Caleb

3. NE:  Daniels

4. ARI: MHJr

5. LAC: Alt(outside shot of Bowers or Nabers)

6. NYG: Nabers(Odunze, if LAC take Nabers)

7. TEN: Olu(Alt, if LAC take a weapon)

8. ATL: DeJean(maybe Odunze if he's there but I'll be surprised if BB takes a weapon here - I think he'll wait til the 2nd to grab a WR. If not DeJean though, probably a guy like Dallas Turner)

9. CHI: Odunze if he's there; Olu if he's there and Odunze isn't; otherwise probably an edge rusher

10. NYJ: you're looking at Bowers, one of the RTs, or an outside shot the Jets Jet and take Jer'Zhon Newton.  Although a trade down is definitely a possibility if Bowers is the one who drops and they don't want to take him at 10.  Honestly though, if all 9 of these offensive guys go before us, I really wouldn't be surprised if we just take Newton, even if they know the pick will get booed.  They've said countless times how the success of the team revolves around the DL, and there's a clear hole at DT2.  Newton is head and shoulders the best DT in the draft...they could fall in love with this kid, much like they did with McDonald last year when we had similar offensive needs.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I just don't see any scenario, even if BB is hired, that the Falcons will take Bowers.  Pitts' value has to be so much lower than his upside right now.  There are so many other areas Bill could address while giving himself a year to see what he can do with Pitts.  I agree he'd probably be a fan of Bowers, but I just don't see how he'll be able to make that work.  More likely he goes Odunze there, or he takes one of the top edge rushers or corners.  He just took Gonzalez last year when NE had other more glaring needs(OT, WR, QB).  CB is definitely a need for ATL, and unlike the Pats last year they are much more stocked on the offensive side of the ball.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall in love with DeJean, who he can use as a hybrid CB, S, slot CB, even LB at times.  

After that, Chicago probably takes Odunze and then we're sitting there with either Bowers or Fashanu on the board.  Maybe both.  

1. CHI: Caleb/Maye

2. WAS: Maye/Caleb

3. NE:  Daniels

4. ARI: MHJr

5. LAC: Alt(outside shot of Bowers or Nabers)

6. NYG: Nabers(Odunze, if LAC take Nabers)

7. TEN: Olu(Alt, if LAC take a weapon)

8. ATL: DeJean(maybe Odunze if he's there but I'll be surprised if BB takes a weapon here - I think he'll wait til the 2nd to grab a WR. If not DeJean though, probably a guy like Dallas Turner)

9. CHI: Odunze if he's there; Olu if he's there and Odunze isn't; otherwise probably an edge rusher

10. NYJ: you're looking at Bowers, one of the RTs, or an outside shot the Jets Jet and take Jer'Zhon Newton.  Although a trade down is definitely a possibility if Bowers is the one who drops and they don't want to take him at 10.  Honestly though, if all 9 of these offensive guys go before us, I really wouldn't be surprised if we just take Newton, even if they know the pick will get booed.  They've said countless times how the success of the team revolves around the DL, and there's a clear hole at DT2.  Newton is head and shoulders the best DT in the draft...they could fall in love with this kid, much like they did with McDonald last year when we had similar offensive needs.

I’d be SHOCKED if an edge rusher, CB, and a DT don’t crack the top 10 after the interviews and underwear Olympics.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccarthy or penix.  But the jets seem worst case to be picking from the best RTs and truth they desperately need one.  Their bad RT play has got a few qbs killed the past few years

With the usual caveat that it’s January and this will all change as we get closer (heretofore denoted in my draft posts with this symbol: 🔀) it sounds like Penix is going to be that guy who goes later than people think, and it’s Bo Nix who might climb throughout the process. As for McCarthy, Brugler has him going 19th to the Rams as a developmental piece. 

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Good analysis, TS.

Bowers, Nabers, Alot and the Penn state LT all going before 10 is ugly for the Jets.

Obviously free agency will change things, but Jets might need to consider trading up for a tackle. Maybe package Huff and #10 to Arizona at #4 and take Joe Alt. There's too many teams ahead of the Jets who will consider O-line, IMO. 

That’d be tough to pay the price to trade up for a tackle, though, especially in a year that Douglas is letting Becton walk. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With the usual caveat that it’s January and this will all change as we get closer (heretofore denoted in my draft posts with this symbol: 🔀) it sounds like Penix is going to be that guy who goes later than people think, and it’s Bo Nix who might climb throughout the process. As for McCarthy, Brugler has him going 19th to the Rams as a developmental piece. 

McCarthy to the Dolphins makes so much sense. They need a contingency plan for when Tua limits the franchise, he’s an ideal fit for that style of offense, he gets to sit a year, and quarterback is an ownership level decision plus Ross is a Michigan guy

. As long as they’re willing to give McDaniel a little leash and not looking to fire him after next season I think that’s a really viable possibility. Makes sense for them to be quiet and pounce but they have to be thinking about the franchise post Tua.

2 minutes ago, derp said:

McCarthy to the Dolphins makes so much sense. They need a contingency plan for when Tua limits the franchise, he’s an ideal fit for that style of offense, he gets to sit a year, and quarterback is an ownership level decision plus Ross is a Michigan guy

. As long as they’re willing to give McDaniel a little leash and not looking to fire him after next season I think that’s a really viable possibility. Makes sense for them to be quiet and pounce but they have to be thinking about the franchise post Tua.

McCarthy to minny or the raiders makes a lot of sense and i think teams may want to trade either with the jets, or with chicago or even to get ahead of atlanta to get qbs.  This is why i think the jets may get a LT after it all shakes out.  

4 hours ago, derp said:

I think if the Bears are going to pass on Williams they make the Commanders give them something for him. Will be other movement before pick ten as well.

I think the Bears could decide to draft Maye over Williams organically, and Washington would/should be happy with either guy, especially if they land the wunderkind OC. I don’t think it benefits the Commanders at all to come up to 1, and the Bears aren’t going to want to fall lower than 2 unless they decide to stick with Fields. 

4 hours ago, derp said:

Allen and Williams are very cuttable for a team $45M over the cap. Think the pass catchers are a tier above the tackles in this class talent wise and with the tackle depth the Chargers go best player and punt tackle till later.

I think the Chargers will definitely try to move off Mike Williams, but they’d probably be hoping Quentin Johnston could develop into that role. Presuming they keep Allen, I don’t think they’d look at the draft landscape and see that there are more receivers available in Rd 2 than they’d find high level OTs, so they’d be value shopping. Harbaugh will build through the trenches regardless, imo. 

4 hours ago, derp said:

Don’t think Belichick wants another offensive skill player there. Defense more likely if not a QB. But I also think nobody knows what to dothere which is why some are leaving Daniels there in mocks.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think the Bears could decide to draft Maye over Williams organically, and Washington would/should be happy with either guy, especially if they land the wunderkind OC. I don’t think it benefits the Commanders at all to come up to 1, and the Bears aren’t going to want to fall lower than 2 unless they decide to stick with Fields. 

I think the Chargers will definitely try to move off Mike Williams, but they’d probably be hoping Quentin Johnston could develop into that role. Presuming they keep Allen, I don’t think they’d look at the draft landscape and see that there are more receivers available in Rd 2 than they’d find high level OTs, so they’d be value shopping. Harbaugh will build through the trenches regardless, imo. 

Formatting screwup, but…

If Belichick takes the Falcons job, he’s going to be superpowered to draft who he wants, and he’s always been enamored with the TE position, which he historically values more than WR. Bowers is going to give him Mark Bavaro flashbacks. One wonders if he’d even want Pitts on his team given the (alleged) lackadaisical way he was (allegedly) approaching the non-receiving parts of his job, which was (allegedly) part of why Arthur Smith stopped giving him the ball. Could Belichick reach for DL here? I guess, but who is that guy? And I know he loves Saban DBs, but he already has some decent DB talent in the fold. 

14 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d be sick for McDaniel if they stick him with Tua long-term, but I (acknowledging that my QB draft takes are historically wretched) can’t see McCarthy being good in the pros. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Formatting screwup, but…

If Belichick takes the Falcons job, he’s going to be superpowered to draft who he wants, and he’s always been enamored with the TE position, which he historically values more than WR. Bowers is going to give him Mark Bavaro flashbacks. One wonders if he’d even want Pitts on his team given the (alleged) lackadaisical way he was (allegedly) approaching the non-receiving parts of his job, which was (allegedly) part of why Arthur Smith stopped giving him the ball. Could Belichick reach for DL here? I guess, but who is that guy? And I know he loves Saban DBs, but he already has some decent DB talent in the fold. 

Maybe if he saw a McGuinenst or Seymour type guy. Wasn’t Seymour his 1st pick as Pat’s coach?

I disagree with the idea of drafting Troy Fautanu ahead of Taliese Fuaga in the top 10. Unless a prospect is Quenton Nelson-level elite, which I don't think Fautanu is, taking a guard that high just doesn't make sense.

My belief is that Fuaga has the ability to play left tackle, possibly even in his first year. If players like Alt and Fashanu are already gone, I wouldn't be surprised if Joe D wasted no time in grabbing Fuaga.

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be sick for McDaniel if they stick him with Tua long-term, but I (acknowledging that my QB draft takes are historically wretched) can’t see McCarthy being good in the pros. 

What are guys like Brugler saying about the OT from Oklahoma? Saw him going mid to later 1st in PFF mocks. 

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do think they could decide to draft Maye over Williams organically, but my guess is that Washington will want Williams. Bring him home to DC, all that fun stuff. If I'm Chicago I want to at least play poker there a little.

The round one right tackle is a little rich. Not terribly, but a little. I tend to think at the top of the draft it's better player over need and my inkling is that the pass catchers are straight up better than the offensive linemen there. They're going to need to move off of Allen before long too, Johnston hasn't proved to be a building block, and they've got Slater at LT for the long haul. It could go either way, but again I think at five the goal is to take the better player and the better player is the pass catcher. I could also see Harbaugh absolutely loving Bowers.

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Formatting screwup, but…

You're ultimately talking about at team with a massive need at QB hiring a defensive coach and taking an offensive skill position player in the top ten for the fourth consecutive draft - and a non-premium one at that. I just don't see it. I believe Dallas Turner firmly works his way into being an option in this range, Laiatu Latu could, and there's Terrion Arnold too. Realistically they probably need to find a way to go QB but I don't really buy another offensive skill player here.

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't know if McCarthy will be *good* but as we kind of got at in another thread, I'm not sure how much upside the Shanahan offense really looks for at QB. Look what Brock Purdy's doing in that situation in SF. McCarthy is mobile, they can use the QB run game with him, and he's got an arm. He wasn't asked to do a lot at Michigan but I think he showed a knack for making plays when he got asked to make a play and that's what the Shanahan offense ultimately wants at QB. McDaniel's going to want to crush teams with the run game, get the ball to his receivers in space, and ultimately have a guy who can make a play when he has to. I think they could suspect McCarthy can do that, he'd get a year to sit, and the ownership buy in would probably be pretty strong.

3 hours ago, derp said:

I do think they could decide to draft Maye over Williams organically, but my guess is that Washington will want Williams. Bring him home to DC, all that fun stuff. If I'm Chicago I want to at least play poker there a little.

The round one right tackle is a little rich. Not terribly, but a little. I tend to think at the top of the draft it's better player over need and my inkling is that the pass catchers are straight up better than the offensive linemen there. They're going to need to move off of Allen before long too, Johnston hasn't proved to be a building block, and they've got Slater at LT for the long haul. It could go either way, but again I think at five the goal is to take the better player and the better player is the pass catcher. I could also see Harbaugh absolutely loving Bowers.

You're ultimately talking about at team with a massive need at QB hiring a defensive coach and taking an offensive skill position player in the top ten for the fourth consecutive draft - and a non-premium one at that. I just don't see it. I believe Dallas Turner firmly works his way into being an option in this range, Laiatu Latu could, and there's Terrion Arnold too. Realistically they probably need to find a way to go QB but I don't really buy another offensive skill player here.

I don't know if McCarthy will be *good* but as we kind of got at in another thread, I'm not sure how much upside the Shanahan offense really looks for at QB. Look what Brock Purdy's doing in that situation in SF. McCarthy is mobile, they can use the QB run game with him, and he's got an arm. He wasn't asked to do a lot at Michigan but I think he showed a knack for making plays when he got asked to make a play and that's what the Shanahan offense ultimately wants at QB. McDaniel's going to want to crush teams with the run game, get the ball to his receivers in space, and ultimately have a guy who can make a play when he has to. I think they could suspect McCarthy can do that, he'd get a year to sit, and the ownership buy in would probably be pretty strong.

Belichick is also a 72 year old defensive head coach and likely would want no part of a rookie QB, especially given how his Mac Jones experience turned out. I’d venture to guess he takes a swing at Cousins or maybe circles back to Garoppolo. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, section314 said:

What are guys like Brugler saying about the OT from Oklahoma? Saw him going mid to later 1st in PFF mocks. 

Not sure I’ve seen Brugler comment on him as yet, but Jeremiah just put him in his first round mock.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Belichick is also a 72 year old defensive head coach and likely would want no part of a rookie QB, especially given how his Mac Jones experience turned out. I’d venture to guess he takes a swing at Cousins or maybe circles back to Garoppolo. 

Could be, but I’m less arguing for QB and more arguing against what could very well be a fourth option on that offense at eight overall. Just a questionable allocation of resources. Belichick’s also been pretty awful at drafting offensive skill players early.