A defense of Woody Johnson

2 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

And the Texans owner (who really is bad) hired the 49ers DC and paired him with a rookie 2nd overall pick. How did that work out?

It’s not Woodys fault that the consensus 2nd overall pick QB was a complete zero who couldn’t play. The Jets weren’t on an island with Zach. A lot of people got it wrong. 

Knock Out Fight GIF by DARK SIDE OF THE RING

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

No surprise you are a firefighter. You sound like the usual beer burping Impatient guy with a  god complex who thinks everyone should “thank him for his service” at every moment. Listen up….

The Jets do have people to run certain departments like any other business or organization. One Quick Look at the website will show you that. They list their VPs on the website. Put the bud light down chief and look. Second woody did not hire JD, he was in the UK at the time and was not in any interviews. Three, you point out you want a GM, but also unnecessary folks to do that job. None of your take makes sense…

Thats because you are stupid.

Let me guess... couldn't get hired to a Department, so now you hate Firemen? Typical. Envy is a wasted emotion, son.

Remember, YOU put yourself out there on YT... and that 14-year-old Kid with a "Jets channel" is more knowledgeable than you are... and probably already more successful in life.

Good day.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:03 PM, Beerfish said:

No not at all.

Rex Ryan and Tanny were behind Tebow, Rex wanted a wild cat option.  Tanny fell in line and idiotically they guaranteed tebow he would be the back up.  When it all went south suddenly it was all on Woody.

As for Rodgers same thing the GM and coach fell all over themselves and fell in love with Rodgers, they sold woody on it and then of course all three of them are all in on it, thus the reason the coach and gm were not fired last year.

If Saleh and Dogulas told Woody that Derrick Carr was the right move he would have went along.

Woody (and a lot of owners) want to be kept informed but in the vast majority of the cases they trust the guys they hand picked and hired and will go along with them.

The odd owner like Jerry Jones is indeed a true football guy with a sound track record of good team building and are more involved.

These blame he owner stories come out for one reason after the fact.  To excuse the coach and or Gm for terrible moves.

This. The idea that Woody is individually making GM-style calls to other teams’ GMs, and is the straw-stirrer on inventing transactions by making cold calls around to other teams’ GMs, is about as believable as Bigfoot.

People get so worked up over a silly theory that he’s behind this or that player because of jersey sales or something else equally insignificant. It’s mindlessly dumb. Almost 90% of the sales goes to the mfr (Nike) and that billion Nike pays is collectively shared revenue like TV revenue. Of the leftover 10-15%, 2/3 of the jersey sales go to the players (collectively) and owners collectively pool the other 33% shared revenue. Individual players also get royalties but not actual/direct jersey revenue. Woody makes his 1/32 share of 33% of 10-15% Mahomes jerseys, too. Maybe a little more goes to the individual team but I f it’s anything at all it’s not much. When the dust settles, I’m not sure if Woody personally makes more than a million or two on additional Rodgers Jets merch sales (I mean how more than he’d have made on Rodgers merch sales if he instead played for someone else) since the overwhelming revenue on it goes to Nike and the players. It’s dumb as f*** logic that suggests that puny amount is any serious motivator causing a multi-billionaire to individually direct and meddle behind his GM’s back to acquire the player against the better judgment of his FO/coaching employees.

Ditto changing uniforms & logos. All the new signage, printed materials, and replacement of the logo everywhere you see it… all that isn’t free, and I’m not sure exactly how that’s such a windfall profit source. The official team merchandise sold is shared. The only team I know of that has its own individual licensing deal with the league is Dallas. If it was such a major revenue generator every team would change its logo and significantly change its uniforms every 5 years.

He’s a poor assessor of FO and coaching talent, and doesn’t know enough to know who else to bring in to help (and seems reluctant to do so now after failed attempts getting assistance from Casserly, Korn Ferry, etc.). Anyway he’s awful with that.

Sometimes the truth is bad enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

No surprise you are a firefighter. You sound like the usual beer burping Impatient guy with a  god complex who thinks everyone should “thank him for his service” at every moment. Listen up….

The Jets do have people to run certain departments like any other business or organization. One Quick Look at the website will show you that. They list their VPs on the website. Put the bud light down chief and look. Second woody did not hire JD, he was in the UK at the time and was not in any interviews. Three, you point out you want a GM, but also unnecessary folks to do that job. None of your take makes sense…

What kind of vile, vulgar and repugnant human being attempts to disparage a public servant like a fire fighter in the manner that you are doing in order to make some lame football point? I pray your house never needs someone like JetEngine, because the karma machine may kick in overtime at that point. Disagreeing on a football point is one thing. Disparaging a noble and needed profession that saves property and lives is quite another. 

Kevin, I will throw shade right back at you in a much less repugnant manner. Every post you make leads Widener University closer to the designation of non-accreditation. For shame. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Second woody did not hire JD, he was in the UK at the time and was not in any interviews. 

Small detail.  The first transatlantic telephone cable was run in 1956.   Woody was in the UK almost 60 years after Sputnick was put into orbit.  Telstar 1 was launched successfully in 1962.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

That 11 million is taken up regardless. Zach was a sunk cost. Learn the sport thx. 

He’s right.

Zach costs the same $5.4MM cash to Woody, and counts the same $11MM on the salary cap, whether he’s on or off the roster. The difference between the two numbers is because of signing bonus already paid to Zach as a rookie.

The only way it changes “Woody’s pockets” is if Douglas can find a trade partner willing to eat up to  that $5.4MM and then further, after finding that trade partner, Douglas curbs the team’s FA spending to leave that full amount unspent forever.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He’s right.

Zach costs the same $5.4MM cash to Woody, and counts the same $11MM on the salary cap, whether he’s on or off the roster. The difference between the two numbers is because of signing bonus already paid to Zach as a rookie.

The only way it changes “Woody’s pockets” is if Douglas can find a trade partner willing to eat up to  that $5.4MM and then further, after finding that trade partner, Douglas curbs the team’s FA spending to leave that full amount unspent forever.

Zach was a sunk cost. He had more value off the roster than he did on it, unless you are Woody who likely didn’t want to pay for him playing elsewhere. He’s not right. 

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Small detail.  The first transatlantic telephone cable was run in 1956.   Woody was in the UK almost 60 years after Sputnick was put into orbit.  Telstar 1 was launched successfully in 1962.  

No way. Woody’s brother surely kept him in the dark about the whole process from start to finish while big brother was ambassadorizing.

Especially on the heels of Chris pathetically admitting he extended Maccagnan because - in a nutshell - he didn’t know any better.

jfc the descendants of that family. The apple fell far.

• Haha 4

guess i will never understand the need to personally attack someone. 

You disagree with their opinion - fine call it a day. Maybe your right maybe not. Maybe both have valid points

But to get into personal area's and degrade someone especially behind a keyboard - I will never get it. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Zach was a sunk cost. He had more value off the roster than he did on it, unless you are Woody who likely didn’t want to pay for him playing elsewhere. He’s not right. 

You say he’s a sunk cost and then the “Woody saying money” rationale suggests the opposite.

100% right. He pays Zach the same amount no matter where he’d be.

Explain how paying him to play elsewhere (more correctly, paying him to backup / not-play elsewhere) was any different than the plan to pay him that same amount to hold a clipboard for Rodgers last year, and based on this rationale alone Woody decreed how the team would handle Zach last year.

This year again it makes no difference. Barring another Douglas trade miracle, Woody is going to pay him about $5MM to play elsewhere, and Zach will hit the cap for about $11MM.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You say he’s a sunk cost and then the “Woody saying money” rationale suggests the opposite.

100% right. He pays Zach the same amount no matter where he’d be.

Explain how paying him to play elsewhere (more correctly, paying him to backup / not-play elsewhere) was any different than the plan to pay him that same amount to hold a clipboard for Rodgers last year, and based on this rationale alone Woody decreed how the team would handle Zach last year.

This year again it makes no difference. Barring another Douglas trade miracle, Woody is going to pay him about $5MM to play elsewhere, and Zach will hit the cap for about $11MM.

Easy -cut him and get him off the roster and hold your nose and pay him. Zach off the roster had more value to the football product than him being on it and playing. He wasn’t the backup this year. He was the starter, regardless of the “redshirt” plan that was BS as the opening day starter was 40 years old. Woody paying him to play somewhere else was likely an issue to him. To the fans- who cares as long as he’s off the team?

On 2/11/2024 at 12:00 PM, Matt39 said:

The draft isn’t random. Theres a bit of science to uncovering or predicting how a player will respond to life changing money. 

Those who fail at drafting call it a crapshoot, like it's totally random. It's not. Worse a crapshoot isn't random at all. There's 36 specific outcomes which are 100% predictable over time. That one specific outcome might occur on 1 given roll might be random, over time it's completely predictable. Anyone who uses crapshoot as analogy for randomness has 1. never played craps and 2. is an innumerate a-hole. 

Further, I can tell you from my couch; Christian Hackenberg, who was HATED by everyone at PSU with good reason, was not a NFL QB such you don't pick another one. Picking a F____IN' SAFETY over a QB is beyond idiotic. In fact, picking a safety (or a guard or a kicker) in the 1st or 2nd round when you can sign those positions on the street in free agency or pick one up on Day 2 of the draft is a misallocation of resources. And that little tiny Zach Wilson, playing in a sheetbag conference, was also not a QB. The common denominator in these decisions and the people who made them (and f___ed this franchise up) in Robert Wood Johnson Roman Numerals, noted uniform guy.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. The idea that Woody is individually making GM-style calls to other teams’ GMs, and is the straw-stirrer on inventing transactions by making cold calls around to other teams’ GMs, is about as believable as Bigfoot.

People get so worked up over a silly theory that he’s behind this or that player because of jersey sales or something else equally insignificant. It’s mindlessly dumb. Almost 90% of the sales goes to the mfr (Nike) and that billion is collectively shared revenue like TV revenue. Of the leftover 10-15%, 2/3 of the jersey sales go to the players (collectively) and owners collectively pool the other 33% shared revenue. Individual players also get royalties but not actual/direct jersey revenue. Woody makes his 1/32 share of 33% of 10-15% Mahomes jerseys, too. Maybe a little more goes to the individual team but I f it’s anything at all it’s not much. When the dust settles, I’m not sure if Woody personally makes more than a million or two on additional Rodgers Jets merch sales (I mean how more than he’d have made on Rodgers merch sales if he instead played for someone else) since the overwhelming revenue on it goes to Nike and the players. It’s dumb as f*** logic that suggests that puny amount is any serious motivator causing a multi-billionaire to individually direct and meddle behind his GM’s back to acquire the player against the better judgment of his FO/coaching employees.

Ditto changing uniforms & logos. All the new signage, printed materials, and replacement of the logo everywhere you see it… all that isn’t free, and I’m not sure exactly how that’s such a windfall profit source. The official team merchandise sold is shared. The only team I know of that has its own individual licensing deal with the league is Dallas. If it was such a major revenue generator every team would change its logo and significantly change its uniforms every 5 years.

He’s a poor assessor of FO and coaching talent, and doesn’t know enough to know who else to bring in to help (and seems reluctant to do so now after failed attempts getting assistance from Casserly, Koran Ferry, etc.). Anyway he’s awful with that.

Sometimes the truth is bad enough.

Stayed away from this thread as long as I could.

As to Chris Johnson making big decisions, was unaware until now the US Ambassador to the Court of St. James had neither a telephone nor internet access. Carrier pigeons? 

A man who takes advice from a guy with this bad a toupee....words fail me here. Could probably find the photo of his buddy Bowles smiling ear to ear when the Jets, a team then bereft of an offense, picked safeties 1(and then 2!)  rather than picking a  franchise QB in Mahomes or Watson. 

charley casserly - USA News Collections

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No way. Woody’s brother surely kept him in the dark about the whole process from start to finish while big brother was ambassadorizing.

Especially on the heels of Chris pathetically admitting he extended Maccagnan because - in a nutshell - he didn’t know any better.

jfc the descendants of that family. The apple fell far.

In fairness he's secretary informed him he couldn't get a booking on the Titanic.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:16 AM, kevinc855 said:

Chris Johnson hired Adam Gase.....I rest my case 

Counselor, are you sure you want to do that?  

The jury believes strongly that Woody ok'd all the hires you claim were finalized by his challenged brother. Your case relies on that primarily and it is unsupportable.

Edit:  Actually, please do rest your case.  It's taking up too much space and time and it isn't worth reading anyway.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

What kind of vile, vulgar and repugnant human being attempts to disparage a public servant like a fire fighter in the manner that you are doing in order to make some lame football point? I pray your house never needs someone like JetEngine, because the karma machine may kick in overtime at that point. Disagreeing on a football point is one thing. Disparaging a noble and needed profession that saves property and lives is quite another. 

Kevin, I will throw shade right back at you in a much less repugnant manner. Every post you make leads Widener University closer to the designation of non-accreditation. For shame. 

Oh stop with yourself righteous virtue signaling on a sports forum. The guy basically me a "child" and "slow" and insinuated I was a moron. Dish it, be ready to take it. No one gives a sh*t, put your big boy on pants Karen. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Oh stop with yourself righteous virtue signaling on a sports forum. The guy basically me a "child" and "slow" and insinuated I was a moron. Dish it, be ready to take it. No one gives a sh*t, put your big boy on pants Karen. 

You are who we thought you were, And, who you show yourself as on YouTube. 

Show me the posts in this thread that JetEngine said those things about you. 

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I don't think anyone has insinuated that you're a moron (unless we count the content of your own posts).

• Upvote 1

That 11 million is taken up regardless. Zach was a sunk cost. Learn the sport thx. 

His salary is fully guaranteed. So Woody pays all of it regardless. The cap hits are different. If the Jets cut him last year, they would have had 11 million less on the cap. It’s called dead money. Once again, please learn the sport. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

His salary is fully guaranteed. So Woody pays all of it regardless. The cap hits are different. If the Jets cut him last year, they would have had 11 million less on the cap. It’s called dead money. Once again, please learn the sport. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t care about the dead money because Zach was a sunk cost last year.  Learn the sport, thanks. 

I don’t care about the dead money because Zach was a sunk cost last year.  Learn the sport, thanks. 

Well the dead money would have lowered what they were able to do. Sorry you can’t get through your pea sized brain. Regurgitating my insults as a gotcha when you are completely wrong just shows you dont understand the NFL and its cap. By your judgement we should cut Lazard and lose 6 million in cap space this year because he is a sunk cost. Teams don’t do that and it looks very bad for a general manager/coach which is why they sold Woody on the ability to rehabilitate Zach. Joe Douglas refused to give up on his sh*tty punter he drafted, but Zach was definitely gonna get cut? Ok.
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Well the dead money would have lowered what they were able to do. Sorry you can’t get through your pea sized brain. Regurgitating my insults as a gotcha when you are completely wrong just shows you dont understand the NFL and its cap. By your judgement we should cut Lazard and lose 6 million in cap space this year because he is a sunk cost. Teams don’t do that and it looks very bad for a general manager/coach which is why they sold Woody on the ability to rehabilitate Zach. Joe Douglas refused to give up on his sh*tty punter he drafted, but Zach was definitely gonna get cut? Ok.

The Jets are so well run so I’m glad you are explaining their rationale. Not cutting Zach allowed them to bring in supreme talents like Lazard or Dalvin Cook? Wow. What shrewd moves. Makes more sense now. 

In reality, the Jets would have been better off cutting their losses to protect themselves from exactly what happened this season and Wilson having to play again. Joe Douglas looks like sh*t regardless if he cut Wilson or not. 

32 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Reading is  key trait around here…

IMG_1481.png

IMG_1480.png

He asked you if you could "comprehend". THEN you went ballistic, putting down fire fighters as a group. He didn't call you stupid until AFTER you made an idiotic remark about firefighters.

I will do the board a favor and just put you on "ignore".  You add nothing here.

27 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Fantastic!

you order those new clubs yet?

They won’t be available for order until Spring.

I’m up on Long Island this week, but I set up an appointment for a fitting when I get back down to the beach, and away from all this snow.