Couple of things from Movin the Chains at the Combine

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I don't know why they wouldn't.  Depends on how much they value him and their perceived chances of landing him as an unrestricted free agent.  Why wouldn't a team trade a 3rd and negotiate exclusively with Huff.

In any event, JD likely agrees with you and he's betting the market for Huff is softer than some anticipated.  If his read is correct, then the Jets might have a shot at re-signing him.  I don't like our chances because Huff wants more playing time.  

JD is taking a gamble here because this is a situation where we very likely will lose him for nothing.  The guy is going to have a market. 

The thing I don't get is why show your cards and tell everyone you're not going to franchise him.  They could have waited to see how the combine went for DLine (today), which might impact the overall Edge market.

A better example might be Huff compared to Tee Higgins.  The latter is coming off a weak year, yet the Bengals franchised him and are open to trading him.  

because negotiations start at $21,000,00?

16 hours ago, varjet said:

do you reach for Fuaga at 10 or try and get Fuaga or Guyton, plus a second rounder, 15-19,  I vote the latter.

I am hoping someone will pay up to draft Bowers or McCarthy at 10.  I think we should take that.  

Id much rather trade down and grab one of those guys than take them in the top 10.  We have holes to fill and a 2nd rd pick would make life alot easier. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/28/2024 at 6:17 PM, section314 said:

What QB in this draft is better than Fields?

All of them as of today.  
Or none of them, it’s a draft, nothing is a given and he’s done nothing in the NFL that says he’s a FQB.  
It can be a case of getting your guy vs. someone else’s guy that after 3 seasons they thought wasn’t the guy 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2024 at 5:54 PM, Beerfish said:

May have already been told he is being traded if that clip of him dancing around in his kitchen is any indication.  He seemed pretty happy.

I wonder what his fav destination would be?  Atlanta?  Pittsburgh?

It's Atlanta.  To be announced after combine, March 13 when trades begin.

• Upvote 1

2 yrs ago we had 4 premium picks, we turned into Sauce Garrett Jermain and Breece. Nice.

Now, replace those 4 picks with a single pick.

We really need to leverage our top 10 into as much ammo as possible. No player at 10 is a sure thing, slam dunk. Draft is a huge crap shoot. We need as many darts as possible.

It'd be great if JD can turn our 10 pick into 1st round 20, 2nd round 20, and maybe 4h round 20. Heck, I'd be OK with ending up with a good 2025 pick. We'll need it then more than now, especially if we're in the QB hunt next year.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

because negotiations start at $21,000,00?

But they don’t.  A team could sign him to long term deal lower than that.

Why does this continue to get stated when it is wrong.

Jets risk is at $21M if they franchise and then cannot trade.  I get that and that’s a risk they don’t appear willing to take.  Just wish they would have waited to the March 5th deadline to see what comes out of Indy discussions.  Like other teams (Giants, KC).

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But they don’t.  A team could sign him to long term deal lower than that.

Why does this continue to get stated when it is wrong.

Jets risk is at $21M if they franchise and then cannot trade.  I get that and that’s a risk they don’t appear willing to take.  Just wish they would have waited to the March 5th deadline to see what comes out of Indy discussions.  Like other teams (Giants, KC).

But they do.  Teams can do whatever the **** they want.  What incentive does Bryce Huff have to take a deal that is lower APY than the tag?  The tag is fully guaranteed.  He makes $21M.  Then he is a free agent again.  A 26 year old FA DE with at least one 10 sack season under his belt.  You expect him to sign for 3/$45M?  Why?  He can take his $21M and then sign that deal next year. 

Wilson to the Rams and a tag and trade of Huff are both bonkers but floated around here as if they are likely.  They are not.  They are pie in the sky BS.

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

2 yrs ago we had 4 premium picks, we turned into Sauce Garrett Jermain and Breece. Nice.

Now, replace those 4 picks with a single pick.

We really need to leverage our top 10 into as much ammo as possible. No player at 10 is a sure thing, slam dunk. Draft is a huge crap shoot. We need as many darts as possible.

It'd be great if JD can turn our 10 pick into 1st round 20, 2nd round 20, and maybe 4h round 20. Heck, I'd be OK with ending up with a good 2025 pick. We'll need it then more than now, especially if we're in the QB hunt next year.

I don't think 2022 makes the "crap shoot" analogy.  They had 4 premium picks and they all hit, but they even then they didn't wait around for guys to drop to them.  They took Sauce and Garrett, but traded up for both Johnson and Breece.  They knew they liked those players and that they fit.  The problem isn't that there are no sure things in the draft.  The problem is that they only have one pick where you expect the guy to pan out quickly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

But they do.  Teams can do whatever the **** they want.  What incentive does Bryce Huff have to take a deal that is lower APY than the tag?  The tag is fully guaranteed.  He makes $21M.  Then he is a free agent again.  A 26 year old FA DE with at least one 10 sack season under his belt.  You expect him to sign for 3/$45M?  Why?  He can take his $21M and then sign that deal next year. 

Wilson to the Rams and a tag and trade of Huff are both bonkers but floated around here as if they are likely.  They are not.  They are pie in the sky BS.

You wrote negotiations start at the franchise tag level.  I’m taking that as negotiations with other teams who might want to trade for him.

That is black and white wrong if I’m understanding you correctly.

A team can offer to trade a 3rd rounder to the Jets and then sign Huff for $17M per year.

That is not a debatable point.  It’s black and white.

Huff might not want to take the risk of a 1 year franchise tag.  He still has some questions to answer.  

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You wrote negotiations start at the franchise tag level.  I’m taking that as negotiations with other teams who might want to trade for him.

That is black and white wrong if I’m understanding you correctly.

A team can offer to trade a 3rd rounder to the Jets and then sign Huff for $17M per year.

That is not a debatable point.  It’s black and white.

Huff might not want to take the risk of a 1 year franchise tag.  He still has some questions to answer.  

He won't want to take the risk of a $21M full guarantee, but he is going to sign for $17M?  Why on earth would he do that?  Yes it won't have to be 4 years at $84M, but the guarantee will have to be well north of $21M to make him bite.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He won't want to take the risk of a $21M full guarantee, but he is going to sign for $17M?  Why on earth would he do that?  Yes it won't have to be 4 years at $84M, but the guarantee will have to be well north of $21M to make him bite.

$17M per year over let’s say a 3 year deal = $51M.  New team might guarantee him $40M of that.

For someone like Huff, that can be very attractive.  

There is a lot of risk staying with the Jets on the tag.

1. Playing with a potential sinking ship in the Jets that cannot even get a lead to play the pin back style where this D is at its best

2. Lower snap count due to the Jets rotation

3. The long term investment the Jets have made in JJ and Will McDonald

In any event, the Jets aren’t tagging him because their own risk is too great

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think 2022 makes the "crap shoot" analogy.  They had 4 premium picks and they all hit, but they even then they didn't wait around for guys to drop to them.  They took Sauce and Garrett, but traded up for both Johnson and Breece.  They knew they liked those players and that they fit.  The problem isn't that there are no sure things in the draft.  The problem is that they only have one pick where you expect the guy to pan out quickly.

Yup...hit a homerun in 2022. But again, the draft is still a huge crap shoot, as demonstrated by Mechi Becton (#11) and ZW (#2). If JD had traded those 2 picks for a haul, I'm pretty sure we would have gotten at least one or two stars out of that, compared to getting zero.

@#27TheDominator I get what you're saying about the tag, tons of money, what player wouldn't snap that up? But at the same time, all players seem to despise the tag. Some get so upset they quit for the season.

I think players value that long term contract over a one and done bag grab. By the time a player is up for the tag, they're a bit older, most with a kid or two. Players are ppl like us and don't love moving to a new city every year.

The stability of a new contract is far more appealing. The Tag could leave the player injured and out of the league.