Two 1st's and a 4th

PatsFanTX

Anbody know who the three players selected were in the DFat trade blunder?

No one special, in fact, I think the best player they got out of that deal was what they used the 4th rounder on, a dlineman if I remember correctly.

Michael Haynes w/ the 1st, Rex Grossman w/ the 2nd and I believe the 3rd is out of football. Say what you will about the trade and taking a DT 4th overall but D rob is far superior to the above listed players.

DFat is "far" superior to Haynes and Grossman?:eek:

DFat is "far" superior to Haynes and Grossman?:eek:

Grossman is constantly injured and has never left that franchise w/ any closure at the QB position. Haynes, although he got a raw deal when some other DE's were brought in at the time of his crucial development, has never been a starter and his contributions have been limited.

I realize you find D rob overrated by Jet fans, but the guy has been a starter since the day we drafted him, and you can do alot worse around the league in terms of the DT position. That is regardless of whether you find him "overrated" and "Fat" or not!

So yes, I think it's fair to say a long time starter, who still has aot of upside, is better than 2 guys who have had limited contributions for various reasons.

1). I realize you find D rob overrated by Jet fans, but the guy has been a starter since the day we drafted him, and you can do alot worse around the league in terms of the DT position.

2). That is regardless of whether you find him "overrated" and "Fat" or not!

1). I agree with that.

2). He is "overrated" and he is definitely "fat".;)

If we hadn't been able to move so far up, we may have been "forced" to take Kevin Williams in that draft. He would have made a great 3-4 end on this team.

I remember that year Bradway made it sound that he made the trade because it was a weak draft and he felt the value was in getting rid of mulitple picks to move up for one of the few good players. Looking back on that draft, he wasn't wrong in the strategy. He may have been wrong in targeting DRob, though.

It's a little silly to look at it that way, since we would not have drafted Grossman. Look at the next few players and think who we would have likely grabbed.

We traded #14, #22, and #

At #14 (and #15) DE’s were taken. Having Abraham, Ellis, and Thomas we never would’ve gone that route. The next non-DE player taken was at #16:

S Troy Polamalu, who very realistically would’ve been taken there as an area of need

At #22, no way would we have taken Rex Grossman after Pennington’s 2002 season.

#23 HB Willis McGahee

#24 TE Dallas Clark

#25 DT William Joseph ,

I’d say the most likely of the three would’ve been Joseph, since DT was clearly an area we were targeting, as evidenced by trading up to #4 to grab DRob.

In the 4th round, it’s not as clear-cut who’s the BPA, so look at the next 10 picks or so:

116 Chicago Ian Scott DT Florida (this was the pick we gave up)

117 New England (Supplemental) Dan Klecko DT Temple

118 Cincinnati Jeremi Johnson FB Western Kentucky

119 Carolina Colin Branch FS Stanford

120 New England Asante Samuel CB Central Florida

121 Atlanta Justin Griffith FB Mississippi State

122 Indianapolis Steve Sciullo OT Marshall

123 N.Y. Giants Roderick Babers CB Texas

124 San Francisco Brandon Lloyd WR Illinois

125 Pittsburgh Ivan Taylor CB Louisiana-Lafayette

It's a little silly to look at it that way, since we would not have drafted Grossman. Look at the next few players and think who we would have likely grabbed.

At #14 (and #15) DE

The Jets traded the #13 pick, which the Bears traded to NE for a fifth rounder and the #14. I'm sure Tex knows the Pats took Ty Warren there.

116 Chicago Ian Scott DT Florida (this was the pick we gave up)

Scott's probably a better player than DRob all by himself.

Archived