Anybody still read books?

I'm getting old as dirt.  I'm a typical distracted American baby boomer.  Phone, internet, tv.  I'm starting to read again.  One of the reasons is to calm my mind.  Started with serious history which I loved but I just read an article, in the fake news NY Times, that fiction is suppossed to help fight off dementia.   I'm trying to read from 1 to 2 hours a day.  

Reading Demon Copperhead at the moment.  A classic bummer of novel about a kid who's from coal country who's life is fvcked from the get go.  It's a pretty serious read.  Great book and a bummer at the same time.  Well written, probably a chick book not that there's anything wrong with that.  

Appreciate all and any recommendations.

• Upvote 2

I primarily read novels, always have. Reading is my primary hobby after eating and drinking. Always have a book on my lap at the beach, and it’s always beach season where I live. Currently doing a rare reread of Tom Robbins’ Skinny Legs And All. It’s 35 years old and weirdly timely. Heavy on the history of the Israeli conflict and even mentions that polarizing politician from NY a couple times. We have an English language new & used book store in my town, I help keep it open. 

In addition to Robbins, Jonathan Franzen and Michael Chabon are a couple of favorites. Matt Ruff is really fun, too. I like character driven material. 

• Upvote 3

So now you got me looking at my shelves. I love mysteries myself, particularly the noir variety.

William Shaw, his Breen and Tozer series are set in the "Swinging London" era of the 1960s.

Stuart Neville and Adrian McKinty their works set in the Northern Ireland during The Troubles. William Mackay has an interesting take on the Glasgow underworld. Also for dark humor, check out Irvine Welsh, Trainspotting, good film, Skag Boys, and Glue.

Derek Raymond, Ted Lewis, and Denis Lehane are also very dark but well written. Mystic River and The Drop were great adaptations of Lehanes work. Ted Lewis Jack Returns Home became a great film in "Get Carter"

I also enjoy biographies, in fact I have ordered "The Power Broker" by Robert Caro, about Robert Moses. Also, a friend gave me one about Stalin. I'll save that one a long plane ride. 

18 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

So now you got me looking at my shelves. I love mysteries myself, particularly the noir variety.

William Shaw, his Breen and Tozer series are set in the "Swinging London" era of the 1960s.

Stuart Neville and Adrian McKinty their works set in the Northern Ireland during The Troubles. William Mackay has an interesting take on the Glasgow underworld. Also for dark humor, check out Irvine Welsh, Trainspotting, good film, Skag Boys, and Glue.

Derek Raymond, Ted Lewis, and Denis Lehane are also very dark but well written. Mystic River and The Drop were great adaptations of Lehanes work. Ted Lewis Jack Returns Home became a great film in "Get Carter"

I also enjoy biographies, in fact I have ordered "The Power Broker" by Robert Caro, about Robert Moses. Also, a friend gave me one about Stalin. I'll save that one a long plane ride. 

I read the power broker a couple of months ago.  It's fantastic.  Stick with it, it's a very long book.  It used to be required reading at every top business school.  Not sure if it still is?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two books I just finished Just Mercy and the War Below.   Both none fiction.  The War Below is a great book about US Submarines in the pacific in WW2.  Just Mercy is about a lawyer who takes on death row inmate casses.   Just Mercy reads like a novel in sections.  The War below follows 3 US Submarines on their war time missions.   

Highly recomend both.

• Upvote 1

I went from reading like a book a month (or more) in my teens and early 20s to struggling to finish more than 2 or 3 books a year. The distractions are just too much for me I guess because I still love to read as much as I always have but when I’m reading I can’t concentrate and stay focused for more than an hour or two at most.

I read all of the jack reacher books.  They all have similar plot lines.  Easy to see how they were turned into movies and series.

i also read a few books by Ben Macintyre and Howard Blum.  They’re non fiction.  Macintyre writes about spies during the war the Cold War.  All are very good.  Blum writes histories about events mostly in the US.

I have been reading Mick Herrons books that the series Slough Horses is based on.  The series, on Appletv, is very good.  The books are about MI5 and some internal and external incidents.

Ive also read Ian Tolls history of the pacific war.  It’s good because he brings the Japanese viewpoint into the war.

Finally I’ve been finishing off SPQR by Mary Beard.  All about Rome.  Pretty good read.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...