Is Jets trade down with Raiders - most likely scenario if Odunze isn’t there?

Buzz builds that Michael Penix Jr. will be drafted in top half of round one

By Mike Florio

Published April 20, 2024 07:51 AM

It’s widely regarded as a given that four quarterbacks will be taken in round one, possibly in the top 10: Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, J.J. McCarthy, and Drake Maye. There’s a growing belief that Bo Nix will slide out of the round completely.

Where does Michael Penix Jr. fit in this picture?

Some regard his draft placement and destination as a mystery. Others believe he’ll be taken in the top half of the round.

Potential destinations for Penix include, in our assessment, the Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, and Seahawks.

The NFL, as previously reported, did not invite Penix or Nix to the draft in order to avoid another potential Will Levis slip-n-slide right out of round one. For Penix, that risk might have been lower than the league believed.

In plenty of cases, it’s a non-obvious team that surprises everyone by snatching a player, like the Chiefs did when they moved from No. 27 to No. 10 to get Patrick Mahomes in 2017. The Steelers, who have two veterans under contract for 2025, could decide that Penix is the future. The Saints could make a move to acquire a post-Derek Carr starter. 

There are a couple of other theoretical possibilities; look at the teams with veteran quarterbacks entering the final year of their contracts. Those teams have no reason to advertise interest in Penix, if they are interested. And then, if an opportunity arises, everything changes in one fell swoop.

We’ve seen it before. We could see it again. With Penix. In five days.

20 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Based on the value chart, the Jets could get 13 and 44 for 10, 72, and a 4th. So basically a 2nd and 3 spots down, for a 3rd and 4th or the Jets could give the Raiders a 2025 pick. 

Is this worth it for the Jets ? If they are all in on Bowers, it’s likely he is still there at 13. So will be a solid OT like Fuaga or Fautanu. Gaining a 2nd rounder allows the Jets to get two prime picks. 

I think the Jets would be smart to trade down if Odunze (and obviously MHJ/Nabers) isn’t there. 

Thoughts?

Yes.  The difference between #44 and #72 is huge.    Giving up #72 and one of our 2 4th rounders is absolutely worth it, unless the player we must have is there at #10, and we believe that player will not be there at #13.

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

Yes.  The difference between #44 and #72 is huge.    Giving up #72 and one of our 2 4th rounders is absolutely worth it, unless the player we must have is there at #10, and we believe that player will not be there at #13.

Might the Raiders have to pay more if they are seeking to jump Denver for a QB?

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Larz said:

Who’s Mel Kiper?  Tom Telsco who is now the Raiders Gm has never traded up in the first round.    ( long draft record as general manager) .  He usually takes the best player on his board .   Only player I could see the Raiders trading up for is J Daniels .   That’s who Antonio Pierce wants, and who would like to play for the Raiders. ( close relation to Pierce)    Would be the biggest mistake giving up so much it will cost .  Not that Daniels isn’t talented.   Can his body hold up to the nfl pounding .  ( doesn’t  seem likely - you give up everything , than he gets career injury than you just screwed up the pouch  for years.    Most fans want him to give up the farm for a qb , sure way to get yourself fired.  ( if that guy isn’t what you think he is.   You make the safe pick and continue to build the roster.  

On 4/19/2024 at 6:30 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

I saw already 3 mock drafts that have the Bears taking Odunze at 9.  There are other mock drafts that are different but the majority player I have seen is Odunze.  He is my number 5 ranked player on my top 65. Why wouldn't Chicago not take him? 

Go look at the Bears D-Line… they could easily grab the top DE or DT in the class.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Might the Raiders have to pay more if they are seeking to jump Denver for a QB?

Only if they think Denver is trying to move up to the Jets #10 spot as well.  Or if they must have the QB they are looking for at that spot, and are confident that Denver will take that player before you.   

I would bet money that JD has already spoken to the Raiders and other GM's to find out their thinking before the draft, and what situations they may be able to strike a deal.  That's what I would do.  It's not like they are enemies or anything.  They are rivals, but rivals who occasionally work together to get what they both want.  

26 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would bet money that JD has already spoken to the Raiders and other GM's to find out their thinking before the draft, and what situations they may be able to strike a deal.  That's what I would do.  It's not like they are enemies or anything.  They are rivals, but rivals who occasionally work together to get what they both want.

Agree 100%. 

He wanted to trade back last year but couldn’t find a partner. This year he’ll have had a number of preliminary discussions on moving in either direction, I suspect. The team has met with a number of prospects expected to go later in the first or second round. Small trade back and Bryan Thomas would not shock me if the three WRs are gone by #10. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree 100%. 

He wanted to trade back last year but couldn’t find a partner. This year he’ll have had a number of preliminary discussions on moving in either direction, I suspect. The team has met with a number of prospects expected to go later in the first or second round. Small trade back and Bryan Thomas would not shock me if the three WRs are gone by #10. 

I agree with the trade back, but I differ with getting Bryan Thomas.  There are reported up to 8 1st round talents at O tackle, and you need to select one of them in the first round in order to get one.  If we got the #44 to #49 pick, there appears to be some real quality wide receivers that are rated in that area and better.  After the top 8 tackles are gone, you would be stretching by a wide margin to try to draft a O tackle in that 44 to 49 range.  If we stayed at #10 and got a tackle, at the #72nd spot, the Jets would have to settle on possible 3rd tier wide receivers, unless you got lucky and one fell to us at 72.  In my mind, ideally we get tackle in trade down in 1st round, quality wide receiver between 44 and 49, and a very good safety or decent linebacker at #72.  Safety and depth linebackers will be available at 72, and we need both, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Who’s Mel Kiper?  Tom Telsco who is now the Raiders Gm has never traded up in the first round.    ( long draft record as general manager) .  He usually takes the best player on his board .   Only player I could see the Raiders trading up for is J Daniels .   That’s who Antonio Pierce wants, and who would like to play for the Raiders. ( close relation to Pierce)    Would be the biggest mistake giving up so much it will cost .  Not that Daniels isn’t talented.   Can his body hold up to the nfl pounding .  ( doesn’t  seem likely - you give up everything , than he gets career injury than you just screwed up the pouch  for years.    Most fans want him to give up the farm for a qb , sure way to get yourself fired.  ( if that guy isn’t what you think he is.   You make the safe pick and continue to build the roster.  

Never?  ******* guy traded up for a RB and. LB.  You think he won't trade up for a qb?