Rodgers or Eli

Aarron Rodgers or Eli Manning  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Please read my post below before voting

16 hours ago, doitny said:

well thats sad. i thought i wrote some good stuff after that....

Peyton was the far better player. his numbers, PBs, MVPs, dwarf Montanas. its not even close.

I’m sure you did. 😉 You always write good stuff… you’re one of the best posters here.

Montana was the definition of clutch. One of the top 3 QBs I’ve ever seen play. Peyton? He was an excellent regular season performer. If he was a racehorse though, they would call him a “morning glory”. @Trotter

The other two were Marino and Brady. I always struggle to rank them in order as they were all so good, yet they all had a different “style”. It’s hard for me to say one was better.

Manning? He might or might not be in my top 5, I’m not sure. I could be convinced on a bunch of guys who might deserve those 4th and 5th spots and I wouldn’t care too much. They’re all a big step down from my top 3.

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2024 at 10:50 PM, Green Ghost said:

I’m sure you did. 😉 You always write good stuff… you’re one of the best posters here.

Montana was the definition of clutch. One of the top 3 QBs I’ve ever seen play. Peyton? He was an excellent regular season performer. If he was a racehorse though, they would call him a “morning glory”. @Trotter

The other two were Marino and Brady. I always struggle to rank them in order as they were all so good, yet they all had a different “style”. It’s hard for me to say one was better.

Manning? He might or might not be in my top 5, I’m not sure. I could be convinced on a bunch of guys who might deserve those 4th and 5th spots and I wouldn’t care too much. They’re all a big step down from my top 3.

I owned a small piece of a racehorse years ago and I’m in the barn several hours before she is going to race and the assistant trainer tells me she looks fantastic.

she ate good in the morning and has a look about her today

that was my Sonny in Bronx tale moment. I knew my bet was down the drain and she is prob not even going to run top 5 for a small check

ran dead last.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Trotter said:

I owned a small piece of a racehorse years ago and I’m in the barn several hours before she is going to race and the assistant trainer tells me she looks fantastic.

that was my Sonny in Bronx tale moment. I knew my bet was down the drain and she is prob not even going to run top 5 for a small check

ran dead last.

About 25 years ago my buddy owned a bar on Long Island and one of the guys who came in was a drove a horse named Energy Burner. This horse was his shot at the big time, he was only entered in big stakes races. He was entered in one at Meadowlands one week and he tells us the horse was “tight”. He’d never come right out and say a horse was gonna win or anything like that, and that was the closest he ever came.

We all piled into a car and headed off for Jersey. Me and my buddys were kinda degenerate gamblers, but I was a little better off and bet a lot heavier than they did. The horse broke right out of the gate… ugh.

Next week “”this horse is ready” into the car we go again. 4th.

Two weeks later “If he wins tonight, you guys are coming onto the track and in the winner’s circle for the photo, you deserve that” My guys pile into the car, but I’m like “nah, f**k that horse, and him too, I’m out $400 already”.

That night I’m watching Racing from the Meadowlands on my couch.. Energy Burner wins for fun and pays over $40. As they go to commercial I see my boys in the winners circle, drunk off their a**es hamming it up for the camera.

Horse players have a ton of stories…

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Trotter said:

ran dead last.

I hope you don’t do a Ralphie

On 6/12/2024 at 10:50 PM, Green Ghost said:

Agree with your overall analysis. One interesting case among HOF QB's is Terry Bradshaw. He was by all accounts an average quarterback in the regular season but became something much better in the post-season. It was like he found another gear. Of course he was surrounded by outstanding talent, which always helps. Frankly, same was true of Montana in SF. Marino and Brady did more with less in their careers, with the exception of Brady's Randy Moss years.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

About 25 years ago my buddy owned a bar on Long Island and one of the guys who came in was a drove a horse named Energy Burner. This horse was his shot at the big time, he was only entered in big stakes races. He was entered in one at Meadowlands one week and he tells us the horse was “tight”. He’d never come right out and say a horse was gonna win or anything like that, and that was the closest he ever came.

We all piled into a car and headed off for Jersey. Me and my buddys were kinda degenerate gamblers, but I was a little better off and bet a lot heavier than they did. The horse broke right out of the gate… ugh.

Next week “”this horse is ready” into the car we go again. 4th.

Two weeks later “If he wins tonight, you guys are coming onto the track and in the winner’s circle for the photo, you deserve that” My guys pile into the car, but I’m like “nah, f**k that horse, and him too, I’m out $400 already”.

That night I’m watching Racing from the Meadowlands on my couch.. Energy Burner wins for fun and pays over $40. As they go to commercial I see my boys in the winners circle, drunk off their a**es hamming it up for the camera.

Horse players have a ton of stories…

My father and grandfather loved the ponies. Spent  a month on Lake George and went to Saratoga everyday. My favorite part was when my Dad and and grandfather would talk for days about each horse, all their previous races and make bets based on what they thought they knew.

My Grandmother and mom would bet anniversaries, birthdays and the prettier horses! Nothing was better than when they would win and my Grandfather and Dad would lose their bets and  their minds! Then sit around say how dumb it is to just bet like that while my Mom and Grandmother would be counting their winnings! Haha, I waited around for anyone to win and take me for a sausage and peppers sandwich. Victory!! 

• Upvote 2

@Trotter reading @The Crusher’s post about betting birthdays reminds me of the night that finally broke me when it came to betting the nags.

Me and my buddy are at the Meadowlands again and I don’t rember the name of the favorite but he was something like 8 for 8 in his young career winning each time easily.

He’s going off at 1 to 9 and my friend asks me “what do you think? Sit this one out?” I thought about it then said “Nah, I think I’ll try a $12 box on my Birthday, which is 625. With that big a favorite we’re talking a 25-1 shot a 50-1 & a  99-1 here. My buddy shakes his head and laughs. I get to the window and say to myself this is nuts. Just put 10 and 10 on the 2 horse ( second choice at 25-1)

The race goes off and the favorite is in front turning for home, when you guessed it, he breaks. The 2 horse slides up the rail and wins the race by half length. My buddy is going crazy thinking I won few hundred bucks. But I’m sick to my stomach because I’m pretty sure the 6&5 are gonna win the photos for 2nd and 3rd. Sure enough it’s 2-6-5-10 and the triple is going to pay telephone numbers. Then the inquiry light comes on and the 2 is flashing!

I start saying “take him down, take him down” and my buddy asks are you insane? I told him, I can live with losing $20 and $400 isn’t gonna change my life, but if I walk out of here knowing my Birthday pays like $20,000 I’m done with this sh*t. A hit like that is what we dream about…

The inquiry light goes dark. 2-6-5 pays just over $27 grand which at that time was the highest paying triple in the history of the Meadowlands. I told my buddy get up, let’s go, we’re outta here. I’m cashing this ticket (about $400) and we’re gonna get effing hammered tonight. 
I swear, I never went back. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@Trotter reading @The Crusher’s post about betting birthdays reminds me of the night that finally broke me when it came to betting the nags.

Me and my buddy are at the Meadowlands again and I don’t rember the name of the favorite but he was something like 8 for 8 in his young career winning each time easily.

He’s going off at 1 to 9 and my friend asks me “what do you think? Sit this one out?” I thought about it then said “Nah, I think I’ll try a $12 box on my Birthday, which is 625. With that big a favorite we’re talking a 25-1 shot a 50-1 & a  99-1 here. My buddy shakes his head and laughs. I get to the window and say to myself this is nuts. Just put 10 and 10 on the 2 horse ( second choice at 25-1)

The race goes off and the favorite is in front turning for home, when you guessed it, he breaks. The 2 horse slides up the rail and wins the race by half length. My buddy is going crazy thinking I won few hundred bucks. But I’m sick to my stomach because I’m pretty sure the 6&5 are gonna win the photos for 2nd and 3rd. Sure enough it’s 2-6-5-10 and the triple is going to pay telephone numbers. Then the inquiry light comes on and the 2 is flashing!

I start saying “take him down, take him down” and my buddy asks are you insane? I told him, I can live with losing $20 and $400 isn’t gonna change my life, but if I walk out of here knowing my Birthday pays like $20,000 I’m done with this sh*t. A hit like that is what we dream about…

The inquiry light goes dark. 2-6-5 pays just over $27 grand which at that time was the highest paying triple in the history of the Meadowlands. I told my buddy get up, let’s go, we’re outta here. I’m cashing this ticket (about $400) and we’re gonna get effing hammered tonight. 
I swear, I never went back. 

Damn

there are bad beats but that is over the top

you had to be sick

i give you credit for being able to talk about it - tells me you are seasoned

• Haha 1

Talk **** all you want about Eli, he’s one of the best Quarterbacks New York has ever seen. Giving Tom Brady, the Greatest Ever, his two most noticeable battle-scars right across his face should alone put him in the Hall of Fame.

The dude has two of the greatest and most important plays in Super Bowl history. He had the undefeated Patriots linebacker core all over him, fought on, found on again, escaped, found a receiver, and launched likely the most iconic pass in the history of the NFL.

WTF has Rodgers done? Get you fantasy points?

Eli might not have been the #1 seed ever, but that division was a dogfight division some, if not a lot of those years. 

The Bears, the Vikings and the ****ing every-year-until-two-years-ago Lions  were always pure trash. Brady haters attack the quality of the AFC East but you guys should know that’s bull****. Jets spent much of the Brady era with a top/elite defense at least. 

Eli had a way harder road to the playoffs and whipped Rodgers ass in his own stadium in the playoffs twice. There was a time when Eli had more playoff wins in Lambeau than Aaron, after facing him twice.

Rodgers has some crazy highlight throws but they’re basically all from games played in October. Yawn.

Eli, meanwhile, is a two-time Super Bowl Legend.

39 minutes ago, WickedAwesome said:

Talk **** all you want about Eli, he’s one of the best Quarterbacks New York has ever seen. Giving Tom Brady, the Greatest Ever, his two most noticeable battle-scars right across his face should alone put him in the Hall of Fame.

The dude has two of the greatest and most important plays in Super Bowl history. He had the undefeated Patriots linebacker core all over him, fought on, found on again, escaped, found a receiver, and launched likely the most iconic pass in the history of the NFL.

Eli might not have been the #1 seed ever, but that division was a dogfight division some, if not a lot of those years. 

The Bears, the Vikings and the ****ing every-year-until-two-years-ago Lions  were always pure trash. Brady haters attack the quality of the AFC East but you guys should know that’s bull****. Jets spent much of the Brady era with a top/elite defense at least. 

Eli had a way harder road to the playoffs and whipped Rodgers ass in his own stadium in the playoffs twice. There was a time when Eli had more playoff wins in Lambeau than Aaron, after facing him twice.

Rodgers has some crazy highlight throws but they’re basically all from games played in October. Yawn.

Please. Pretty please. With sugar on top. Shut up the **** up. Go back to being that guy who never watched a Patriots game in his life.

On 6/18/2024 at 5:22 PM, WickedAwesome said:

And based on that logic Trent Dilfer > Marino

We get it. He beat your patriots twice.  So would have a lot of other quarterbacks if Brady didn’t get every 3rd down PI call for 20 straight years and you guys didn’t get away with blatant cheating 

I don't measure greatness of QBs by their Super Bowl wins.  There are too many variables that the QB doesn't control.  As a lifelong Jets fan since the 1960's no QB scared me more than Dan Marino.  Not his fault that most of his teams had a poor defense and weak running game. Still he lit up the scoreboard.

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2024 at 10:25 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

And based on that logic Trent Dilfer > Marino

We get it. He beat your patriots twice.  So would have a lot of other quarterbacks if Brady didn’t get every 3rd down PI call for 20 straight years and you guys didn’t get away with blatant cheating 

How is that Trent Dilfer logic? Name one ****ing play you remember him for that literally anyone else on this entire planet would remember too.

Eli Manning played worlds better in both his Super Bowl wins than Peyton did in his.

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't measure greatness of QBs by their Super Bowl wins.  There are too many variables that the QB doesn't control.  As a lifelong Jets fan since the 1960's no QB scared me more than Dan Marino.  Not his fault that most of his teams had a poor defense and weak running game. Still he lit up the scoreboard.

Marino was trash. Couldn’t beat playoff defenses. An utterly worthless waste of a draft pick. Dolphins suck.

Prime Tom used to slaughter the entire conference with like 70% of their regular season wins being absolute over-by-halftime blowouts. Brady would be sitting the 4th quarter with a 35 point lead.

Nobody gives a ****. It’s the regular season. A glorified pre-season. 

Marino was a punk ass bitch that couldn’t do anything against playoff caliber defenses. He’s irrelevant. He was barely considered a top 5 all-time quarterback before the Bradys, Peytons, Big Bens Favres, Brees’s, Rodgers’s and Mahomes’s and whoever I’m forgetting entered the league.

A case could be made Russel Wilson is better than bitch ass Dan Marino.

22 minutes ago, WickedAwesome said:

How is that Trent Dilfer logic? Name one ****ing play you remember him for that literally anyone else on this entire planet would remember too.

Eli Manning played worlds better in both his Super Bowl wins than Peyton did in his.

The giants won those super bowls because Coughlin and his assistants knew how to play Brady on defense which is 4-3 Base with guys who get in his face.  Brady himself said trying to throw against the Giants DEs was like trying to throw a ball through a forest. Nothing fancy just send 4-3 DEs who could beat the patriots OTs

Eli made some very nice plays but it was the D that won those 2 super bowls

17 minutes ago, WickedAwesome said:

Prime Tom used to slaughter the entire conference with like 70% of their regular season wins being absolute over-by-halftime blowouts. Brady would be sitting the 4th quarter with a 35 point lead.

Nobody gives a ****. It’s the regular season. A glorified pre-season. 

Marino was a punk ass bitch that couldn’t do anything against playoff caliber defenses. He’s irrelevant. He was barely considered a top 5 all-time quarterback before the Bradys, Peytons, Big Bens Favres, Brees’s, Rodgers’s and Mahomes’s and whoever I’m forgetting entered the league.

A case could be made Russel Wilson is better than bitch ass Dan Marino.

Look I’m one of the few people here who acknowledges Brady is the GOAT but a lot of his success within the AFC East is due to insane levels of incompetence by the other teams including the jets who have been a crapshow past 14 years and still 

I have a Belgian Malinois that could have drafted better than the last 3 Jets General Managers

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

The giants won those super bowls because Coughlin and his assistants knew how to play Brady on defense which is 4-3 Base with guys who get in his face.  Brady himself said trying to throw against the Giants DEs was like trying to throw a ball through a forest. Nothing fancy just send 4-3 DEs who could beat the patriots OTs

Eli made some very nice plays but it was the D that won those 2 super bowls

Of course it was the D. But in the 4th quarter the undefeated Patriots finally broke them and got into the end zone, and Eli answered. Drove  the length of the field and was scrappy as ****. Next time he dropped a dime into coverage with another all-time great Super Bowl play.

Eli carried plenty of his share of responsibility in the game, exceeding expectation. Others, like his brother, have their entire teams built around a flashy regular season offense, can’t handle playoff-defenses or big moments, and blame their poorly-allocated defense for “letting quarterback X down” afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Look I’m one of the few people here who acknowledges Brady is the GOAT but a lot of his success within the AFC East is due to insane levels of incompetence by the other teams including the jets who have been a crapshow past 14 years and still 

I have a Belgian Malinois that could have drafted better than the last 3 Jets General Managers

It wasn’t “insane levels of incompetence.” You yourselves went to the final-four AFC Chanpionship game two years in a row. 

1. The AFC East wasn’t incompetent. That’s a media Brady hater talking point. The Patriots record against the entire league is basically the same as it was against the East. Dominant is dominant. 

2. Brady had an apex-predator Orca effect. The AFC East isn’t a division that established star quarterback free-agents wanted to come because they would be chasing wildcard spots in Brady’s division.

3. The Jets were an elite defense most of the Patriots run, with the Bills being so sometimes. Miami isn’t incompetent; they’re just endlessly average. 

Eli went into Green Bay on a freezing cold day and dominated Rodgers and the Packers on the way to one of the Super Bowls.

Eli will be loved by Giants fan for as long as he lives.  Rodgers is an after thought in Green Bay and the fans are now happy he’s gone.