Would you rather be the Jets or the Chargers right now?

Keep the Jets or swap with the Chargers?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Jets/Chargers swap

• Jets
    • Chargers

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Thank you 👍 

I'm not 100% sold on Herbert. He's regressed every year he's been in the league. This season will be telling.

Long term you say Harbaugh is the better choice. He lasted 4 years in the NFL the last time and then packed up his toys and went back to college. His last year he went 8-8. He lost 3 huge games in the playoffs. I don't see him as a long term coach in this league. He will go back to college once he realizes he can't get past the Chiefs.

so you focus on his 8-8 year, but not the 3 years before that where he went to consecutive nfc title games and a super bowl?

13-3 lost in nfc title game

11-4-1 lost in super bowl

12-4 lost in nfc title game

imagine a jets fan mocking that record...

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, jetblue95 said:

so you focus on his 8-8 year, but not the 3 years before that where he went to consecutive nfc title games and a super bowl?

13-3 lost in nfc title game

11-4-1 lost in super bowl

12-4 lost in nfc title game

imagine a jets fan mocking that record...

If he did it with Zach Wilson as QB he'd be in Canton as a coach.

Marv Levy had a great record as a coach too.

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

With some level of competence, NFL rosters can be rebuilt in a year or two, with pretty much the exceptions of HC and QB

QB has been the biggest issue obviously.  HCs can be flipped every 3-5 years as the Jets have done.  An NFL roster needs more than 1-2 years usually although there have been astonishing exceptions.  Looking at Houston.  But they got exactly the above to do it: a new QB and HC.  

The Jets have a better overall roster right now but success hinges entirely on an aging QB coming off an injury to stay upright and fixing bad offensive coaching from the LOS. The Jets will have to make a lot of roster decisions over the next three years and it's fair to wonder how that's going to play out given the uneven roster development by Douglas.

Harbaugh is a coach who doesn't need a HOF player at every position to have a good team and adding more value to the team's success than Saleh. The Chargers need work on the roster, too, but I would trust Harbaugh to give good direction given his past and his recent college tenure. He may not stay in the NFL for the long term but his exit won't require blowing up the whole team and risking another rookie GM/HC combo giving fans another four years of misery.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

No it's not. Baltimore Harbaugh is clearly better. And not the giant dick LAC Harbaugh is.

Clearly your dislike of Jim is affecting your attitude about him.  He's still an outstanding HC.  How many HCs can win in both NFL and college?  Not that many.  Nick Saban is an all time great college HC but couldn't win in the pros.  

39 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Obvious choice? Our roster is better at almost every position and equal at others. Harbaugh won't last 4 years in the NFL. Are you assuming that Harbaugh is going to end up drafting players better than Wilson, Hall, Sauce, and Williams? I mean that's a pretty big leap.

We definitely have a better roster right now. No argument there. 

The Chargers have a young stud at QB and a head coach who wins everywhere he goes. I'd take my chances. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

If he did it with Zach Wilson as QB he'd be in Canton as a coach.

Marv Levy had a great record as a coach too.

the niners were 6-10 the year before harbaugh showed up in SF.  it had been 9 years since SF either had a winning record or made the playoffs.  he took an alex smith-QB'd team to 13-3 and the nfc title game (smith was in his 6th year and had a career 19-32 record at that time).

sure zach blows, but that in no ways discredits what harbaugh accomplished in SF.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Clearly your dislike of Jim is affecting your attitude about him.  He's still an outstanding HC.  How many HCs can win in both NFL and college?  Not that many.  Nick Saban is an all time great college HC but couldn't win in the pros.  

He's definitely a great coach but in my opinion not great enough to take an inferior Chargers roster. I made that clear a while ago. And I think he will be out before he would win a championship with that inferior roster. Is that clear now?

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with disliking Jim Harbaugh. It has to do with defending the Jets in every possible debate, regardless of merit or anything else. 

50/50 chance we are arguing with a Jets bot. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Hairball is going to put his stamp on the chargers and that means clearing out a lot of deadwood.  I can see a lot of players being on the bubble, even ones that were pretty good.  I’d even go so far to say the qb will need to watch out.  At least this season the jets team is pretty much set.  There are a few changes to personnel but nothing wholesale.

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

the niners were 6-10 the year before harbaugh showed up in SF.  it had been 9 years since SF either had a winning record or made the playoffs.  he took an alex smith-QB'd team to 13-3 and the nfc title game (smith was in his 6th year and had a career 19-32 record at that time).

sure zach blows, but that in no ways discredits what harbaugh accomplished in SF.

The difference between him and Rex Ryan is Harbaugh took his team to the SB and lost. Rex Ryan got to 2 championship games too and he got there with Mark Sanchez. Isn't that a true statement?

I'm not saying Rex is a better coach that Harbaugh but some of you are putting this guy on a pedestal. He quit on the Niners after 4 years. Again, Levy made it to 4 SB's. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't think it has anything to do with disliking Jim Harbaugh. It has to do with defending the Jets in every possible debate, regardless of merit or anything else. 

50/50 chance we are arguing with a Jets bot. 

Uh Huh Yes GIF

There is only one Andy Reid. Harbaugh much closer to median. No points.

Herbert lacks the killer gene (at least so far). Reminds me of Roman Gabriel.

Take the current Jet squad all day.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Herbert lacks the killer gene (at least so far). Reminds me of Roman Gabriel.

Take the current Jet squad all day.

Are you a bot? @slimjasi

If we're being honest here, maybe we should be talking about swapping coaches/rosters with the Denver Broncos. They have a winning coach who has coached 16 years in the league AND won a Superbowl (something hardball has yet to accomplish .) They also have a future superstar at QB that Payton will have a hand in molding. I won't name names but you know who that is!

Give me the Broncos over the Chargers!

43 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The difference between him and Rex Ryan is Harbaugh took his team to the SB and lost. Rex Ryan got to 2 championship games too and he got there with Mark Sanchez. Isn't that a true statement?

I'm not saying Rex is a better coach that Harbaugh but some of you are putting this guy on a pedestal. He quit on the Niners after 4 years. Again, Levy made it to 4 SB's. 

rex ryan has a career coaching record of 61-66 (.480 winning %).  he was 46-50 with the jets

jim harbaugh has a record of 44-19-1 in the nfl (.695 winning %) and 144-52 in college (29-6 at san diego, 29-21 at stanford, and 86-25 at michigan, where he just won a title and 3 straight big 10 titles/playoff appearances). 

i was a fan of rex, but there is no comparing the resumes of the two 

not sure why you keep bringing up mark levy making it to 4 SBs.  is that supposed to be a bad thing because he lost all 4 of them?  given i was born a year after the jets made the super bowl, i'd take either levy's or harbaugh's playoff runs over what i've seen in my lifetime. 

sure, i want to see the jets win a SB.  and if i had to choose today which coach i'd rather have and my choices are jim harbaugh or robert saleh, i'd laugh (or pass out in disbelief) at anyone who said saleh.  now i know that wasn't the totality of the question at hand.  but it's a huge reason why many would pick "the chargers" in this hypothetical.

51 minutes ago, Jethead said:

granted its a small sample size, but jim harbaugh trails only some guy from the 1920s, john madden, vince lombardi and george allen in career winning percentage.  i'm not saying he's better than reid, but not sure there are more than a handful of other current HCs i'd take over him.  saleh would be close to the bottom of the list based on his resume as a HC to date.

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

rex ryan has a career coaching record of 61-66 (.480 winning %).  he was 46-50 with the jets

jim harbaugh has a record of 44-19-1 in the nfl (.695 winning %) and 144-52 in college (29-6 at san diego, 29-21 at stanford, and 86-25 at michigan, where he just won a title and 3 straight big 10 titles/playoff appearances). 

i was a fan of rex, but there is no comparing the resumes of the two 

not sure why you keep bringing up mark levy making it to 4 SBs.  is that supposed to be a bad thing because he lost all 4 of them?  given i was born a year after the jets made the super bowl, i'd take either levy's or harbaugh's playoff runs over what i've seen in my lifetime. 

sure, i want to see the jets win a SB.  and if i had to choose today which coach i'd rather have and my choices are jim harbaugh or robert saleh, i'd laugh (or pass out in disbelief) at anyone who said saleh.  now i know that wasn't the totality of the question at hand.  but it's a huge reason why many would pick "the chargers" in this hypothetical.

The choice is Saleh+coaching staff and the Jets current roster OR Harbaugh+coaching staff and the Chargers current roster. I choose the Jets players and coaches. The poll isn't about chosing coaches.

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

granted its a small sample size, but jim harbaugh trails only some guy from the 1920s, john madden, vince lombardi and george allen in career winning percentage.  i'm not saying he's better than reid, but not sure there are more than a handful of other current HCs i'd take over him.  saleh would be close to the bottom of the list based on his resume as a HC to date.

Harbaugh has coached 4 years in the NFL. 

Barry Switzer has an impressive college coaching record. As an NFL coach he went 40-24, 7-5 in the playoffs and actually won a super bowl. He was amazing 😉

• WTF? 1

I’ll take Herbert. Just 26 years old and would already be the second best QB Jets history. We can work through upgrading the rest of the roster.

What I do know, is the Jets have never had a young franchise QB in my lifetime.

Easy choice for me. 

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’ll take Herbert. Just 26 years old and would already be the second best QB Jets history.

Easy choice for me. 

You get the rest of the roster as well...defense too. I mean I'd take Herbert over Rodgers long term too. I can name a bunch of other QB's that I'd also take starting with Mahomes and Josh Allen.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

now i know that wasn't the totality of the question at hand.  but it's a huge reason why many would pick "the chargers" in this hypothetical.

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

he choice is Saleh+coaching staff and the Jets current roster OR Harbaugh+coaching staff and the Chargers current roster. I choose the Jets players and coaches. The poll isn't about chosing coaches

i know and said as much above.  however, it is a big factor, along with the QB position (herbert is 26, rodgers is 40 and coming off an achillies injury) in why some would pick the chargers.  i don't think saleh is a coach who can make a playoff run.  harbaugh has done it repeatedly, in both the pros and college.  i'd take the better coach with a good young QB and a lesser roster over a bad coach with an aging vet at the end of his career, even if it has a better current roster.

you also seemed to imply that harbaugh was over-rated as a coach.  i strongly disagree.

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Barry Switzer has an impressive college coaching record. As an NFL coach he went 40-24, 7-5 in the playoffs and actually won a super bowl. He was amazing 😉

you've been making some of the most stupid arguments I've ever seen on here lately and that's really saying something

5 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Did you know, during his horrible year of decline, that Aaron Rodgers threw for more TD's than Justin Herbert on 150 less pass attempts? 

I’m assuming this is a swap not just for 2024. How confident are you that the next QB will be nearly as good as Herbert?

The Jets are the better team for 2024 and possibly 2025. Good luck after that. I haven't seen us come close to finding a permanent answer at QB. Chad Pennington is the best I’ve seen. 

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

barry switzer took over back-to-back super champs coached by jimmy johnson with hall of fame talent across the board

jim harbaugh took over a 6-10 team that saw mike singletary fired and replaced by jim tomosula.

yeah, very similar situations...

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You get the rest of the roster as well...defense too. I mean I'd take Herbert over Rodgers long term too. I can name a bunch of other QB's that I'd also take starting with Mahomes and Josh Allen.

Yea. That’s fine. I’ll take them all. We can even add a couple of fans from this message board to the roster. Herbert gives you a young FQB to build around for the next 10 years. 

6 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i know and said as much above.  however, it is a big factor, along with the QB position (herbert is 26, rodgers is 40 and coming off an achillies injury) in why some would pick the chargers.  i don't think saleh is a coach who can make a playoff run.  harbaugh has done it repeatedly, in both the pros and college.  i'd take the better coach with a good young QB and a lesser roster over a bad coach with an aging vet at the end of his career, even if it has a better current roster.

you also seemed to imply that harbaugh was over-rated as a coach.  i strongly disagree.

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m assuming this is a permanent swap. How confident are you that the next QB will be nearly as good as Herbert?

The Jets are the better team for 2024 and possibly 2025. Good luck after that. I haven't seen us come close to finding a permanent answer at QB. Chad Pennington is the best I’ve seen. 

How confident are you that the Chargers will fill the numerous holes they have in their roster? If having a good young QB guaranteed SB's then there are a lot of great QB's that would have a ring starting with Marino, Burrow and Allen. Marino was one of the best QB's I've ever seen and Shula is a legendary coach. Follow? You need a complete roaster and the Chargers aren't even close.

9 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

How confident are you that the Chargers will fill the numerous holes they have in their roster? If having a good young QB guaranteed SB's then there are a lot of great QB's that would have a ring starting with Marino, Burrow and Allen. Marino was one of the best QB's I've ever seen and Shula is a legendary coach. Follow? You need a complete roaster and the Chargers aren't even close.

I’m more confident that the Chargers can build around Herbert than the Jets finding a FQB after Rodgers.

I don't know about you, but it sucks watching a football team with a bad QB. I like to watch good football. The Jets have had an all world defense the last two year. Despite that, it’s been painful to watch them. Why? Because the QBs sucks.

If I’m watching football on Sunday, it’s to be entertained or to relax. With our stacked roster and Zach Wilson, last season I chose to either go hiking on Sundays or watch the Texans.

I understand your view, I just don't agree. The fact I watched more Texans games last year, tells you as much. Texans are in a similar situation as the Chargers. And post Rodgers, the Jets are…

12 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

barry switzer took over back-to-back super champs coached by jimmy johnson with hall of fame talent across the board

jim harbaugh took over a 6-10 team that saw mike singletary fired and replaced by jim tomosula.

yeah, very similar situations...

Mike Singletary and Jim Tomosula. Any chance those clowns and anything to do with their 6-10 record?

AGAIN, I'm not saying Harbaugh is a bad coach. In his limited time in the NFL he has proven to be a great coach. I just don't think he overcomes an inferior Chargers roster to make them better than the Jets. I hope I am clear about that.

13 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yea. That’s fine. I’ll take them all. We can even add a couple of fans from this message board to the roster. Herbert allows you a young FQB to build around for the next 10 years. 

He's had good rosters around him his first few years and they haven't won dick.

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m more confident that the Chargers can build around Herbert than the Jets finding a FQB after Rodgers.

I don't know about you, but it sucks watching a football team with a bad QB. I like to watch good football. The Jets have had an all wold defense the last two year. Despite that, it’s been painful to watch them. Why? Because the QBs sucks.

If I’m watching football on Sunday, it’s to be entertained or to relax. With our stacked roster and Zach Wilson, last season I chose to either go hiking on Sundays or watch the Texans.

I don't think Herbert is good enough to warrant the "I'd rather watch a great QB with a bad roster" claim. He's proven he's not that guy yet. And he's had an all time great receiver in Keenan Allen.