A Closer Look at Jets UDFA Quarterback Andrew Peasley

Andrew-Peasley-scaled.jpg

A name Jets fans aren’t all that familiar with right now that they could be hearing quite a bit of this pre-season is Andrew Peasley.  The undrafted quarterback out of Wyoming could see quite a bit of action prior to the start of the regular season.

Can he do enough to impress and grab a practice squad spot?  That remains to be seen.  But here are a few thoughts on his game after watching some more of his college action earlier this week.

First and foremost, the kid has guts.  Several times we saw Peasley hang in the pocket and deliver a ball on target with pressure breathing down his neck.  A willingness to stay put with a big hit coming is something Jets fans haven’t seen from their quarterbacks in recent years.

As far as arm strength goes, we didn’t see many deep shots out of Peasley but that could be a product of scheme and a sprained shoulder that he suffered in week two.  Peasley reportedly begged his coaches to let him take more deep shots in 2024 but they were hesitant to do so.  The 6′ 2” QB reportedly connected on a 65-yard bomb at his pro day as he showed off a stronger arm than teams would have seen during the season.

And for what it’s worth, his highest grade awarded by the folks at PFF came on throws of 20+ yards where he checked in at 89.6.

“Peasley also hit current Wyoming wideout Will Pelissier from more than 65 yards out. The senior from Big Horn laid out for the pass and rolled past the white stripe. It was easily the highlight of the afternoon. The audible cheers it drew was warranted.

Peasley also zipped out routes and slants, medium and deep. He showed touch and torch.”

-7220sports.com

In addition to displaying toughness in the pocket, Andrew Peasley looked poised under pressure, often seeing the oncoming blitz and making a quick read and throw to his open receiver.

We also saw him thrive when using play action and while flashing enough athleticism to make plays with his legs when things break down around him.

Of course as an undrafted free agent, Peasley is also going to have some warts.  The biggest we noticed?  Inconsistency.  Especially when it came to his accuracy.  We’d see him go on a streak and make several NFL throws before having a hard time putting the ball in the right spot, making it tough on his receivers to make a play.

With Aaron Rodgers likely to be in bubble wrap this pre-season and a backup in Tyrod Taylor who has a lengthy injury history, Jets fans may get a shot to take an extended look at Peasley in the not-too-distant future.

The post A Closer Look at Jets UDFA Quarterback Andrew Peasley appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I know it was a very brief stint, but Mike White was pretty good at staying put & delivering the ball when a big hit coming.

He got folded in half by Milano like a champ 🏆 I thought I saw his soul leave his body on that hit.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'm glad that the high watermark for a Jets QB is the great Mike White's 2-5 career sporting a 9:13 TD:INT ratio. 

Measley Peasley

A Wyoming QB that can pass and not just run!?!?!?   Take that Buffalo!

I have a story about a former Wyoming QB.  

I played for years in a touch football league, now lest you scoff too much this was pretty high level for rec football, ex pros (CFL guys) and lots of ex college guys.

One year a friend of a friend of a cousin of a friend kind of deal twigged our team onto a guy who once played (though did not start) for Wyoming.  Visions of ringer danced in our heads.  

The guy comes to the first practice and he is a big black dude as in about 6'2" 220 in great shape, total rocket for an arm.  Athletic as heck.

This looked great!!!

But like the hot girl you meet who has nothing else to her this guy was a terrible QB.  

Lazy as f'ck, no effort, very inaccurate, no chemistry, no concept for the game, terrible reads. got sacked more than justin fields or Geno Smith due to no pocket awareness.  He quit after about a 3rd of the year which was good for our team.  Just a huge waste of talent.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I played for years in a touch football league, now lest you scoff too much this was pretty high level for rec football, ex pros (CFL guys) and lots of ex college guys.

One year a friend of a friend of a cousin of a friend kind of deal twigged our team onto a guy who once played (though did not start) for Wyoming.  Visions of ringer danced in our heads.  

The guy comes to the first practice and he is a big black dude as in about 6'2" 220 in great shape, total rocket for an arm.  Athletic as heck.

This looked great!!!

But like the hot girl you meet who has nothing else to her this guy was a terrible QB.  

Lazy as f'ck, no effort, very inaccurate, no chemistry, no concept for the game, terrible reads. got sacked more than justin fields or Geno Smith due to no pocket awareness.  He quit after about a 3rd of the year which was good for our team.  Just a huge waste of talent.

Jamarcus Russel went to Wyoming?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/21/2024 at 12:02 PM, Beerfish said:

This looked great!!!

How long ago was this? Our QBs tend to be pretty pasty. We had Sean Chambers before he left for MSU but I wouldn't call him lazy. He had a minicamp invite to the Panthers.