Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To play the other side of this though... regular jobs next to never exist the way NFL players do in the way raises go.

I'm sure there is a couple here or there... but in general I can't think of any job that let's say you're a mid rounder and are making 1million a year. Furthermore to this. If this mid rounder sucks. he still gets his full deal. If you suck at "most" jobs... you get fired. You don't get paid for 3 more years. yes there are some. But in general no.

But let's say that 4th rounder making 1mill per year for 4 years is a star. He can go all the way to making 30million per year.

Name me a job that you just do your job and do it well and you get a raise 30x over?

If anyone is doing that thats in general with investments. Stuff any profession could do. So for me that doesnt play into this.

I'm talking about that your actual job. Same company. You can make 30X what you were before and that fast.

For example I work for the GOV. We have a GS scale for most our jobs. You aren't going from a GS7 to a GS15 in a matter of a couple years. I've never seen it and I've been working for the GOV for 20+ years.

My wife works for a huge financial company and you can only apply for a new role after you've been in a role for 1 whole year and can only try and get a job 1 level higher.

If you're a GS and think that you get fired if you suck at your job your head is nine feet deep in the sand.

Look at a guy like Reddick.  He just got 11 sacks.  Huff had 10, but Reddick is 3 years older and he is too old to give a big contract?  Rodgers is a lock first ballot guy, had 2 MVP seasons and then a fair year and people are/were convinced he is washed up.  Their earning window is just tiny.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you're a GS and think that you get fired if you suck at your job your head is nine feet deep in the sand.

Look at a guy like Reddick.  He just got 11 sacks.  Huff had 10, but Reddick is 3 years older and he is too old to give a big contract?  Rodgers is a lock first ballot guy, had 2 MVP seasons and then a fair year and people are/were convinced he is washed up.  Their earning window is just tiny.

And I get that. But to say the reason they deserve vastly more than what anybody will ever see in their lives bc they risk there body is trash to me.

Where are the guys in the NFL doing what you saw what the Knicks guys did this season. Ya are they still getting paid a TON more than most of us will ever see... 100%. But they left money on the table to win. Rodgers did this. Brady we saw do it multiple times. But rarely do you see guys do this. Trent Williams in SF is holding out at 36 years old to get paid more when he's a top 10 highest paid OT already for example to this. Reddick not including this season has already made 52 million. Yes there's taxes, etc. But the guy isn't hurting for money where to play for 14mill is a disservice to his skill set and his worth.

There's countless jobs that are crazy hard on a body. Not getting anything close to what these guys do. And that's the laughable part.

I'll listen to the notions of they're getting paid what the market has set.

But to use there body as an excuse as to why they "deserve it" I don't like.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are true about the GS thing. I have to pretty much fail a drug test to get fired.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

@#27TheDominator

If you're making 20 million dollars a year, through say a 5 year window (and there are a lot of players that are making a hell of a lot more than that) does it really matter that they have a "tiny" earning window, as you put it?

That's 100 million dollars in 5 years - most people working an entire lifetime which is typically 45-50 years of working full time, don't make 10 million dollars.

Think about that and let it soak in - 100 million dollars in 5 years.

If I lived another 30 years - I couldnt spend that much money, even if I never worked again, I'd still die with millions in the bank.

The money these players are getting paid is just ridiculous.

Then a lot of these guys can walk into Broadcsting/Sportscasting jobs, as their post NFL careers and still earn millions per year.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And I get that. But to say the reason they deserve vastly more than what anybody will ever see in their lives bc they risk there body is trash to me.

Where are the guys in the NFL doing what you saw what the Knicks guys did this season. Ya are they still getting paid a TON more than most of us will ever see... 100%. But they left money on the table to win. Rodgers did this. Brady we saw do it multiple times. But rarely do you see guys do this. Trent Williams in SF is holding out at 36 years old to get paid more when he's a top 10 highest paid OT already for example to this. Reddick not including this season has already made 52 million. Yes there's taxes, etc. But the guy isn't hurting for money where to play for 14mill is a disservice to his skill set and his worth.

There's countless jobs that are crazy hard on a body. Not getting anything close to what these guys do. And that's the laughable part.

I'll listen to the notions of they're getting paid what the market has set.

But to use there body as an excuse as to why they "deserve it" I don't like.

i am not talking about players putting their bodies on the line as why they deserve more than soldiers or EMT.  I am saying it in comparison to the owners and execs.  Is there some world where Roger Goodell is worth five times more to the NFL than CeeDee Lamb? 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To play the other side of this though... regular jobs next to never exist the way NFL players do in the way raises go.

I'm sure there is a couple here or there... but in general I can't think of any job that let's say you're a mid rounder and are making 1million a year. Furthermore to this. If this mid rounder sucks. he still gets his full deal. If you suck at "most" jobs... you get fired. You don't get paid for 3 more years. yes there are some. But in general no.

But let's say that 4th rounder making 1mill per year for 4 years is a star. He can go all the way to making 30million per year.

Name me a job that you just do your job and do it well and you get a raise 30x over?

If anyone is doing that thats in general with investments. Stuff any profession could do. So for me that doesnt play into this.

I'm talking about that your actual job. Same company. You can make 30X what you were before and that fast.

For example I work for the GOV. We have a GS scale for most our jobs. You aren't going from a GS7 to a GS15 in a matter of a couple years. I've never seen it and I've been working for the GOV for 20+ years.

My wife works for a huge financial company and you can only apply for a new role after you've been in a role for 1 whole year and can only try and get a job 1 level higher.

Players are both the employees AND the product.  That's why good performance can, and should, lead to huge gains.  Everyone in attendance at an NFL game or watching on TV are doing so to watch the employees produce the product (wins/entertainment).

No one is paying to watch you do your government work or me do my work in clinical research, hence why those comparisons don't work at all.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Players are both the employees AND the product.  That's why good performance can, and should, lead to huge gains.  Everyone in attendance at an NFL game or watching on TV are doing so to watch the employees produce the product (wins/entertainment).

No one is paying to watch you do your government work or me do my work in clinical research, hence why those comparisons don't work at all.

Hey we have a tour at my work ;)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@#27TheDominator

If you're making 20 million dollars a year, through say a 5 year window (and there are a lot of players that are making a hell of a lot more than that) does it really matter that they have a "tiny" earning window, as you put it?

That's 100 million dollars in 5 years - most people working an entire lifetime which is typically 45-50 years of working full time, don't make 10 million dollars.

If I lived another 30 years - I couldnt spend that much money, even if I never worked again, I'd still die with millions in the bank.

Then a lot of these guys can walk into Broadcsting/Sportscasting jobs, as their post NFL careers and still earn millions per year.

An average dermatologist makes over $300,000 per year.  That works out to over $15M over 50 years.  And its a lot easier to become a dermatologist than it is to become an NFL athlete.  The dermatologist also doesn't sacrifice 20 years of his lifespan from doing the job.

Meanwhile, you seem to think only of the star players.  What about the average NFL player, whose median salary is $860,000 and only lasts about 3 years in the league?  That's only $2.6M in earnings.  And much like a dermatologist, he had to put in a bunch of years of prep in order to get into the league.

You seem to think that life should be fair.  Bless your heart.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile, you seem to think only of the star players.  What about the average NFL player, whose median salary is $860,000 and only lasts about 3 years in the league?  That's only $2.6M in earnings.

You must be talking about undrafted players because even Mr. Irrelevant, the very last pick of the draft is a millionare, as soon as he signs his rookie contract.

How much do players outside the first round earn?

In the second round, contracts start at $9.9million and drop to $6.3million. The third round goes from $6million to $5.5million, while the parameters for the fourth round are between $4.5million and $4.8million. 

This number continues to decrease right until the end of the seventh round when the final draft pick - known as Mr Irrelevant - will be able to sign a $4.09 million dollar deal. 

29 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@#27TheDominator

your definition of "alot" several times in the post - is too high.

not many broadcasters and players in those situations.

the nfl needs to find a way to pay decent players a bit more in year 3-4.   lots of them only have a couple of years of good earnings after the rookie contract.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You must be talking about undrafted players because even Mr. Irrelevant, the very last pick of the draft is a millionare as soon as he signs his rookie contract.

In the second round, contracts start at $9.9million and drop to $6.3million. The third round goes from $6million to $5.5million, while the parameters for the fourth round are between $4.5million and $4.8million. 

This number continues to decrease right until the end of the seventh round when the final draft pick - known as Mr Irrelevant - will be able to sign a $4.09million deal. 

Rookie contracts aren't fully guaranteed, and lower round draft picks in particular aren't well protected.  

This is rookie 5th rounder Qwan'Tez Stiggers' salary.  As you can see, if the Jets elected to cut him tomorrow, he would get none of that base salary (over $4M), which is over 95 % of his total contract value.

Current Contract

(Drafted, signed 2024)
 (📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Signing Bonus   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $4,020,000 $254,276   $4,274,276      
2024 22 $795,000 $63,569   $858,569 0.3%  
$63,569
$795,000
2025 23 $960,000 $63,569   $1,023,569 0.4%  
$63,569
$960,000
2026 24 $1,075,000 $63,569   $1,138,569 0.4%  
$63,569
$1,075,000
2027 25 $1,190,000 $63,569   $1,253,569 0.4%  
$63,569
$1,190,000

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rookie contracts aren't fully guaranteed, and lower round draft picks in particular aren't well protected.  

This is rookie 5th rounder Qwan'Tez Stiggers' salary.  As you can see, if the Jets elected to cut him tomorrow, he would get none of that base salary (over $4M), which is over 95 % of his total contract value.

Current Contract

(Drafted, signed 2024)
 (📝: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Signing Bonus   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $4,020,000 $254,276   $4,274,276      
2024 22 $795,000 $63,569   $858,569 0.3%  
$63,569
$795,000
2025 23 $960,000 $63,569   $1,023,569 0.4%  
$63,569
$960,000
2026 24 $1,075,000 $63,569   $1,138,569 0.4%  
$63,569
$1,075,000
2027 25 $1,190,000 $63,569   $1,253,569 0.4%  
$63,569
$1,190,000

That sir, is a very good point.

I didn't give a thought to how much of that money was actually guaranteed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

There's more than enough of them.

If you want to see better pay equity, maybe you should try to start a Healthcare Worker League where people pay a bunch of money to watch them do their jobs.  Maybe with revenue sharing they'll make a few extra bucks each!

Until then, maybe look in the mirror for why NFL players get paid more than you wish they did.  They get paid like they do because we watch.  Not really their fault, eh?

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That sir, is a very good point.

I didn't give a thought to how much of that money was actually guaranteed.

NFL contracts in particular are miserable for the average player when it comes to guaranteed money because of injury risk.  The owners pocket all of that money from guys whose careers get cut short (whether by injury or performance).  Hence why its absurd to complain about an NFL player demanding a new deal when the other side of the table can rip his contract up at any time.

Meanwhile, MLB players (with their fully guaranteed deals) are definitely overpaid.  LOL.

28 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@#27TheDominator

Players are entertainers. It’s as simple as that. Are you also mad that Brad Pitt gets $20M/picture? Or that Taylor Swift, Bruce Springsteen, and Paul McCartney are billionaires? People buy tickets, TV packages, and bar stools to watch these men perform. They buy t-shirts, jerseys, hats, jackets, and sneakers with their names and numbers on them. They make exceptional money because they are in the top .1% of their craft. Sure, I would prefer a world where teachers, linemen, mailmen, etc., all were paid relative to their value to society as a whole, but that’s not really the world we live in, is it?

As far as the NFL and all the money it makes is concerned, I will always side with the talent to get as big a piece of the pie as they possibly can. We watch because they’re great athletes, and they can be amazing to see. We don’t watch because some pharmaceutical heir bought a franchise. I’ll always support the players trying to get whatever they can, however they decide to go about it. Without them there is no league. Every owner is easily replaced without the game skipping a beat, Patrick Mahomes not so much. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you want to see better pay equity, maybe you should try to start a Healthcare Worker League where people pay a bunch of money to watch them do their jobs.  Maybe with revenue sharing they'll make a few extra bucks each!

Until then, maybe look in the mirror for why NFL players get paid more than you wish they did.  They get paid like they do because we watch.  Not really their fault, eh?

Sorry but I'm not in the healthcare field.

Anyway, it's when these guys are making tens of millions of dollars and crying/holding out for even more money, that I find it pretty irritating.

And it's not just the amount of money they make, they are playing on a contract that they signed & agreed to honor - until they don't.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

Its'when their making tens of millions of dollars and crying/holding out for even more money, that I find pretty irritating.

And it's not just the amount of money they make, they are playing on a contract that they signed & agreed to honor - until they don't.

All I ask is that you complain with equal vigor every time an owner unfairly rips up the contract of a mid-level player, costing him millions of non-guaranteed coin.  

13 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You must be talking about undrafted players because even Mr. Irrelevant, the very last pick of the draft is a millionare, as soon as he signs his rookie contract.

This number continues to decrease right until the end of the seventh round when the final draft pick - known as Mr Irrelevant - will be able to sign a $4.09 million dollar deal. 

After the second round, there are no guarantees in those contracts. The first pick of the third round may’ve been looking for some. They get cut, they get a consolation prize. Mr Irrelevant doesn’t make that money unless he’s on the team for four years (which is longer than the average NFL career). 

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Its'when their making tens of millions of dollars and crying/holding out for even more money, that I find pretty irritating.

You said yourself that Corley and Lamb didn't have much choice on their contracts.  Yes Reddick signed, but there are rules about holding out and fines and that is part of the same CBA.  If he and his agent calculate they will make more paying the fines, that is up to them.  

@ARodJetsFan:  Ever give a thought to why rookie contracts are a minimum of 4 years despite the average NFL career lasting about 3 years?  Cheap team control is what owners want and as we've seen time and again, they always seem to get their way. 

Ultimately, CeeDee Lamb's new contract will be a drop in the bucket compared to the money Jerry Jones rakes in every year.

14 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You realize that every time you hear about a player being cut, that means that a corresponding owner is not honoring the contract they agreed to, right? 

• Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

You realize that every time you hear about a player being cut, that means that a corresponding owner is not honoring the contract they agreed to, right? 

Americans siding with the corporations over the employees is so…. American.

• Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Americans siding with the corporations over the employees is so…. American.

I think the general perspective on this has significantly improved over the past however many years. Obviously nothing that should be universally accepted actually will be until the boomers are all dead.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Yep, I get it, probably because they're not performing, no different than getting fired from a 9 to 5 for poor performance.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@ARodJetsFan:  Ever give a thought to why rookie contracts are a minimum of 4 years despite the average NFL career lasting about 3 years?  Cheap team control is what owners want and as we've seen time and again, they always seem to get their way. 

Ultimately, CeeDee Lamb's new contract will be a drop in the bucket compared to the money Jerry Jones rakes in every year.

Without a doubt.

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade