Seems like it's been a LONG time, since Joe Douglas has spoken to the NY media.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

Which is EXACTLY what i said.

It's madnatory and NOT at the GM's discretion.

I don't understand what you're talking about now. You seem to have flipped.

What I was saying from the get-go is that these appearances are mandated because it's desired GM behavior/action they wouldn't necessarily get otherwise.

If you agree with me then I'll have to find some other take of yours that I can oppose with the same vigor. 

• Haha 1

Some things I'd find more entertaining/informative than a Joe Douglas press conference:

• A lecture on the history and evolution of the paperclip.
  • A monotone reading of the entire tax code.
  • A debate between two robots discussing the merits of different shades of beige.
  • The entire collection of whale songs from the Pacific Ocean.
  • A play-by-play commentary of grass growing in real-time.
  • The enthusiastic descriptions of various lint textures by a lint enthusiast.
  • A comprehensive breakdown of the different types of sand found on beaches worldwide.
  • The intricate details of stamp collecting from a 90-year-old philatelist.
  • The ongoing saga of someone attempting to assemble IKEA furniture without the instruction manual.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Then I'll throw your question right back at you - then why put it in writing??

It's right here in black & white:

General Mangers/Secondary Football Executives – Through the club communications department and in response to the intense public interest in roster construction and development, club general managers and secondary football executives must each be available to the media at least twice on a yearly basis – once from the Scouting Combine through the week following the NFL Draft and a second time either during training camp or following the final roster reductions to 53 players. As per the Anti-Tampering Policy, a secondary football executive refers to an individual who has the title of assistant general manager and/or is next in line to the primary football executive, supervising the Player Personnel department, including college and pro scouting departments.

NFL Media Access Policy | PFWA (profootballwriters.org)

I already gave you my answer - To reiterate to GM's that it's an NFL/League requirement to communicate with the public through NFL/Team media outlets & that it's not at the GM's discretion.

You give me another answer - that actually makes sense.

In addition to, Joe usually has a press conference (PC) around the Trade Deadline and after the season.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You are confusing a "public figure" with someone who speaks to the public from time to time. From a legal perspective, there is a difference.

We are splitting hairs here. 

Again "public facing responsibilities" (your own words) implies the duties of a public figure, on some level.

Maybe not the text book definition of a public figure per say, but there is enough substance there, for one to reasonably conclude, that there is a level of public interaction & communication that's required of a GM, per the NFL's written media access policy.

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't understand what you're talking about now. You seem to have flipped.

What I was saying from the get-go is that these appearances are mandated because it's desired GM behavior/action they wouldn't necessarily get otherwise.

If you agree with me then I'll have to find some other take of yours that I can oppose with the same vigor. 

@Sperm Edwards

That is exactly what I've been alluding to all along.

GM's are required to communicate with the public through the media.

People have been arguing that GM's don't have to answer to the public, my argument was and has been, that NFL GM's absolutely do have a responsibility to communicate with the public through the media, as they are largely considered to be public figures, with public facing responsibilities.

GM's must respond (to the public) at least twice a year, to the intense public interest in roster construction and development through the appropriate media outlets.

When you have absolutely nothing better to do, go back & re-read my posts in this thread.

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Again "public facing responsibilities" (your own words) implies the duties of a public figure, on some level.

Maybe not the text book definition public figure per say, but there is enough substance there, for one to reasonably conclude,  that there is a level of public interaction & communication that's required of a GM, per the NFL's written media access policy.

And this is where we need to agree to disagree. Like I said earlier, we are splitting hairs on really a non-important definition.

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Maybe not the text book definition public figure per say, but there is enough substance there, for one to reasonably conclude,  that there is a level of public interaction & communication that's required of a GM, per the NFL's written media access policy.

Saying the general manager of an NFL team isn’t a public figure because the franchise doesn’t have shareholders is one of the wildest things I’ve ever heard here from a fan policing standpoint. I mean lol. 

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And this is where we need to agree to disagree. Like I said earlier, we are splitting hairs on really a non-important definition.

As you wish SD, I wasn't asking you to agree with me per say, I'm just interpreting this as logically as I can.

Obviously our interpretations vary a little bit.

I mean the NFL's media access policy states in writing that "General Mangers/Secondary Football Executives – Through the club communications department and in response to the intense public interest in roster construction and development, club general managers and secondary football executives must each be available to the media at least twice on a yearly basis"

It's pretty obvious to me, based on the language used by the NFL, that there is mandated public communication & interaction (through the media) that's required of an NFL GM,

I really don't see how you can interpret this any other way, but I digress.

• Upvote 1

So the league has a requirement for the GM to speak and Douglas has met the requirement. Why all the tears then?
"Accountability" ... or something.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I really thought this was self-explantory.

To reiterate to GM's that it's an NFL/League requirement to communicate with the public through NFL/Team media outlets & that it's not at the GM's discretion.

By your logic, why do we have have laws that state you have to pay income taxes if everybody is already doing it?

The same reason we have written laws in our society, is the same reason the NFL has written rules & regulations in place - to ensure compliance.

Come on Sperm....

They may be required to talk. But they aren't required tot tell anyone a damn thing. Bellechick spent 3+ decades treating the media, even the ones who kissed his ass like Peter King, like mushrooms; keep'em in the dark and throw sh!t at them. He got away with that because his teams won. When he wasn't winning in Cleveland, wasn't so easily accepted by the supposed tough media. They write or broadcast 1 of 2 stories; you're a brilliant GM  or coach who of course was destined for great things given the wonderful way things have worked out in that special championship season. Or you're a blithering idiot who couldn't work the paint aisle at Home Depot on a slow Tuesday morning. 

Laws? that's cute. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If only Joe Douglas would talk to us more, then this team would be so much better. Or something. 

We'd have Reddick in camp by now if he would only negotiate the contract in public!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I would still love to know what JD is expected to come out and say that would make everyone happy. emoji846.png

"The Huff thing. Man, did I f___ that up. Aaron Rodgers is the GM. I walk around the office with Iggy Pop's "The Passenger" playing in a loop. I want to punch that fat bastard Becton in the f__in' face. And I tried to talk Woody into Parsons or Sewell over that POS midget f___in' QB."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

They may be required to talk. But they aren't required tot tell anyone a damn thing. Bellechick spent 3+ decades treating the media, even the ones who kissed his ass like Peter King, like mushrooms; keep'em in the dark and throw sh!t at them. He got away with that because his teams won.

Fair enough @Bugg

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

I would still love to know what JD is expected to come out and say that would make everyone happy. emoji846.png

I'll tell you @jamesr its really not about what he could say to make everyone happy.

It's about accountability - which I've been preaching about throughout the entirety of this thread.

I would just like the weasel to man-up and show his damn face - he knows he screwed the pooch with the Reddick trade.

Come on out of your bunker & own up to it.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'll tell you @jamesr its really not about what he could say to make everyone happy.

It's about accountability - which I've been preaching about throughout the entirety of this thread.

I would just like the weasel to man-up and show his damn face - he knows he screwed the pooch with the Reddick trade.

Come on out of your bunker & own up to it.

You want Joe Douglas to have a press conference and say, "I screwed up the Reddick trade?!" Are you ******* serious? 😅😅😅

• Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You want Joe Douglas to have a press conference and say, "I screwed up the Reddick trade?!" Are you ******* serious? 😅😅😅

No @bicketybam Jesus, get real would you?

I do think it's about time for a state of the team address though - and that would include a Reddick update/explanation of what the hell is going on - even if it's in a beat around the bush, kind of way.

• Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

No @bicketybam Jesus, get real would you?

I do think it's about time for a state of the team address though - and that would include a Reddick update/explanation of what the hell is going on - even if it's in a beat around the bush, kind of way.

While they are in the middle of negotiating a contract? The best you are going to get is "we are working on it and making progress" and even the chances of getting that are iffy. 

44 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

While they are in the middle of negotiating a contract? The best you are going to get is "we are working on it and making progress" and even the chances of getting that are iffy. 

Anything is better than nothing at all.

That said, the contract should have been negotiated & agreed upon, before the trade was ever made, as many here have already stated.

When they made him an offer and he refused - which is what has been reported, they should have nixed the trade right on the spot, until they could come to an agreement on a contract.

If you just can't come to a contract agreement, then you nix the trade altogether and move on.

Thinking that Reddick was just going to play out the final year of a contract, with which he was widely reported & known to be unhappy with, was complete ignorance & stupidity on JD's part.

Accountability.

8 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I really thought this was self-explantory.

To reiterate to GM's that it's an NFL/League requirement to communicate with the public through NFL/Team media outlets & that it's not at the GM's discretion.

By your logic, why do we have have laws that state you have to pay income taxes if everybody is already doing it?

The same reason we have written laws in our society, is the same reason the NFL has written rules & regulations in place - to ensure compliance.

Come on Sperm....

So obviously he’s met or exceeded the league requirements.

This is a waste of time for no apparent reason

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Anything is better than nothing at all.

That said, the contract should have been negotiated & agreed upon, before the trade was ever made, as many here have already stated.

When they made him an offer and he refused - which is what has been reported, they should have nixed the trade right on the spot, until they could come to an agreement on a contract.

If you just can't come to a contract agreement, then you nix the trade altogether and move on.

Thinking that Reddick was just going to play out the final year of a contract, with which he was widely reported & known to be unhappy with, was complete ignorance & stupidity on JD's part.

Accountability.

So you think he's holding out the entire year? Gotcha.

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The nfls tv contract is astronomical. The fans are the reason why. It’s why Joe Douglas gets paid so much money too. Of course it’s a public role

JD is in hiding because he knows he will get a thousand questions about why Aaron replaced Woody as the GM

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

So you think he's holding out the entire year? Gotcha.

Go ahead & quote where I said that, or anything vaguely resembling that.

I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

Speak for yourself & not for me - O.K.?

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Show me where I said that.

I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth bud.

Speak for yourself - not for me O.K.?

The only way the trade is a "disaster" is if he holds out for the entire season. When he's chasing down Brock Purdy in game 1 no one will remember any of this.

Ok, BUD 😅

Sean Penn Wow GIF

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The only way the trade is a "disaster" is if he holds out for the entire season. When he's chasing down Brock Purdy in game 1 no one will remember any of this.

Ok, BUD 😅

Sean Penn Wow GIF

Once again, show me where I said this trade was a "disaster"?

What I said was Reddick's contract should have been negotiated & agreed upon, before the trade was ever made, as many here have already stated.

When they made him an offer and he refused - which is what has been reported, Douglas should have nixed the trade right on the spot, until an agreement could be reached.

If they couldn't come to a contract agreement prior to making the trade, then you nix the trade altogether and move on.

That's what I said.