******* TV Carriage Fight ****** Monday Night's Game may not be broadcast in all areas of the country

38 minutes ago, Claymation said:

What's a "carriage fight"?

Like Horse and Buggy?

What a Cable Service, Satellite Provider or Broadcast Network (in the case has to pay) a Provider (in this case Disney the parent owner of ESPN) to 'carry' (distribute) the programming on that channel.

In this case Disney is demanding more money than DirectTV is willing to pay to carry ESPN.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they do this fairly regularly. this will be resolved and the game will be broadcast. no need to soil your diaper.

This one will be interesting to watch. Disney/ABC wants DirecTV to sign an agreement that protects them. This all stems from the lawsuit from FUBO that has stopped VENU sports service from launching. So DirecTV may dig in on this.

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Every bar in the country that has NFL ticket still has to use satellite  Direct tv. 
so in my bar I won’t be able to show the game. How’s that for business?

(I know about ways around it)

Sunday Ticket in on YTTV.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

They could use this, which sounds like a streaming service as opposed to traditional satellite.

https://everpass.com/

And how do you stream 20 TVs at once?

it’s just not practical for a bar that wants to show all the games to do it any other way then satellite direct tv. 
also with streaming you can’t watch the same game in two TVs. No way to time then up perfectly. 

47 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

And how do you stream 20 TVs at once?

it’s just not practical for a bar that wants to show all the games to do it any other way then satellite direct tv. 
also with streaming you can’t watch the same game in two TVs. No way to time then up perfectly. 

The have their own streaming hardware. I'm sure they have a solution.

What are bars going to do when DTV folds up shop? Stop showing NFL games on TV? My guess is this company is looking to be the solution when DTV goes the way of the dodo 🦤 

21 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

This one will be interesting to watch. Disney/ABC wants DirecTV to sign an agreement that protects them. This all stems from the lawsuit from FUBO that has stopped VENU sports service from launching. So DirecTV may dig in on this.

Indeed Ken

Check out this article from The Hollywood Reporter : https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/directv-disney-carriage-fight-1235990223/

Somehow I get the feeling this one is not going to blow over very soon.

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2024 at 7:37 PM, frankiepapa said:

We went through this last year with spectrum and abc...issue was resolved at noon of the game day

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I would not be as optimistic in this case. DirecTV is seeking to setup an alaCarte service that will allow subscribers to pay for only those channels they want to watch and discard the rest. Disney says we want subscribers to pay for the whole enchilada whether the use it all or not.

This is getting ugly, even the Governor of North Carolina has weighed in sending a Nasty Gram to the Suits at Disney and DirecTV expressing his disapproval for the sorry state affairs created by this mess.

DirecTV has 10 Million Subscribers. A large percentage of which are Hotels/Motels and Bars. The number of people affected by this imbroglio could be upward of 75 Million.

31 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

I would not be as optimistic in this case. DirecTV is seeking to setup an alaCarte service that will allow subscribers to pay for only those channels they want to watch and discard the rest. Disney says we want subscribers to pay for the whole enchilada whether the use it all or not.

This is getting ugly, even the Governor of North Carolina has weighed in sending a Nasty Gram to the Suits at Disney and DirecTV expressing his disapproval for the sorry state affairs created by this mess.

DirecTV has 10 Million Subscribers. A large percentage of which are Hotels/Motels and Bars. The number of people affected by this imbroglio could be upward of 75 Million.

Correct. FUBO sued to stop VENU from launching. Disney makes all the streamers and cable co's take all thse lousy channels via bundling. But then make a deal without the lousy channels for Venu. This may go on a while and the last thing Disney wants is to go to trial and defend bundling here but not here.

2 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Correct. FUBO sued to stop VENU from launching. Disney makes all the streamers and cable co's take all thse lousy channels via bundling. But then make a deal without the lousy channels for Venu. This may go on a while and the last thing Disney wants is to go to trial and defend bundling here but not here.

I'd take the loss if the US DOJ and FTC slapped Disney with a Whopping Anti-Trust Lawsuit !