Jets Titans observations

30 minutes ago, doitny said:

thats fine, but i keep reading how hes doing nothing. or he has this look.

as for penalties we have only 9 on defense thats 3rd best. last year we had 93 on defense thats was 9th best. the year before we had 90 for 12th least. 

so this notion that we have a problem with penalties is wrong.

oh im sorry we take only "stupid" penalties. the other teams take "smart" penalties. lol 

last year Cleveland lead the league with 118 penalties. thats 25 more than us and they had the best defense in the league. oh and their coach is supposed to be soooo goood. the Eagles 107 and Ravens 106 had more too.

i watched 2 Lions games last year, the Dallas game that the stupid HC went for 2 to win and cost them a Home NFCCG and another stupid call that cost them a chance to got to the SB. Daboll just played a injured Kicker and he lost the game because of it. 2 guys who get their balls waxed regularly here. if Saleh did that you guys would drag him out of his office and hang him.

when we only watch Jets games and not all 330 plus games we live in a bubble thinking that stuff only happens to us. ut they happened to everyone even the best teams.

Well, when a defensive player or a WR or TE lines up offsides, or a player lets his emotions get the best of him, and he throws the football at or takes a swing at a player on the other team, or targets, or slams the QB or ball carrier to the turf, or hits a ball carrier out of bounds, what else would you call them other than stupid penalties?  They're totally unnecessary. 

Penalties from playing hard and aggressively are going to happen. Pass Interference and many roughing the passer penalties are borderline, ticky-tack or non-existent.  Other penalties happen because of rules changes, and either CSs didn't make sure their players understood the rule change, or in the heat of the moment, players forget, play out of habit.  An OL gets beat and to keep his QB from getting creamed, he grabs the pass rusher.  That's a smart penalty.  A DB gets badly beaten by a WR, so he grabs him, and gets called for Defensive Holding, 5 yards and an automatic 1st down.  That's smarter than giving up a TD or a huge gain and a 1st down.  IMO those are all "smart" or understandable and/or unavoidable.

As long as they're winning, no one cares about the penalties (including me).  It's win they lose, that things can get magnified, but some things can definitely contribute to losing.

As far as coaching decisions go, yes there can be glaring examples of stupid moves by HCs such as the ones you cited.  There can also be stupid moves that are more subtle and insidious.  Like not playing any starters in preseason, like coaching not to lose, like not managing time outs and the game clock well, like his team always starting slow, like not utilizing your player's talents/not putting them in their best position to succeed, by trying to shove square pegs into round holes (putting system/scheme over players), and picking schemes that have big drawbacks (like the WCO being so complex and taking 3 years to learn or a D alignment that allows other teams to run the ball easily or having to have the perfect players for the scheme to work).

I've been watching the NFL and the Jets fo 61 years.  I've pretty much seen it all. A lot has changed in the NFL, but the basics still are key:  not turning the ball over, catching the ball/holding onto it, blocking, and tackling.  The best teams do those things consistently and they don't beat themselves with mental mistakes like unncessary penalties, running wrong routes, fumbling, and throwing interceptions.  There have only been a few periods in Jets history where Jets teams did those things well and consistently.  Right now isn't one of them.  Things are looking up in those regards, but still aren't where they need to be imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

thats fine, but i keep reading how hes doing nothing. or he has this look.

as for penalties we have only 9 on defense thats 3rd best. last year we had 93 on defense thats was 9th best. the year before we had 90 for 12th least. 

so this notion that we have a problem with penalties is wrong.

oh im sorry we take only "stupid" penalties. the other teams take "smart" penalties. lol 

last year Cleveland lead the league with 118 penalties. thats 25 more than us and they had the best defense in the league. oh and their coach is supposed to be soooo goood. the Eagles 107 and Ravens 106 had more too.

i watched 2 Lions games last year, the Dallas game that the stupid HC went for 2 to win and cost them a Home NFCCG and another stupid call that cost them a chance to got to the SB. Daboll just played a injured Kicker and he lost the game because of it. 2 guys who get their balls waxed regularly here. if Saleh did that you guys would drag him out of his office and hang him.

when we only watch Jets games and not all 330 plus games we live in a bubble thinking that stuff only happens to us. ut they happened to everyone even the best teams.

Campbell blew it on clock management at the end of the half vs TB this week. Think it cost them a shot at a FG.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Campbell blew it on clock management at the end of the half vs TB this week. Think it cost them a shot at a FG.

thats my point. now if you didnt watch the game no one here would know except Lions fans. 

i get @JKlecko point that if were winning you dont care about penalties or stupid calls and such, but guys like this are wins games because they have a real good QB that can save their mistakes. Saleh never had that until now.

i bet there is a fire him thread on the Lions board. 

if he is making mistakes like this in the few games that we catch imagine how many mistakes he is making during 17 games. but Goff saves him so he gets the wins and people think hes so good. but he is not.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, doitny said:

thats my point. now if you didnt watch the game no one here would know except Lions fans. 

i get @JKlecko point that if were winning you dont care about penalties or stupid calls and such, but guys like this are wins games because they have a real good QB that can save their mistakes. Saleh never had that until now.

i bet there is a fire him thread on the Lions board. 

if he is making mistakes like this in the few games that we catch imagine how many mistakes he is making during 17 games. but Goff saves him so he gets the wins and people think hes so good. but he is not.

Yep - there's no coach in the NFL anywhere near as bad as OUR coach. :D 

And he's also the worst coach in the history of the entire franchise! Just like the GM! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1