Joe Douglas moving heaven and earth to draft Malachi Corley

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

You would have thought after last year’s Will McGriddle is a bust battle cry, JetNation would take a wait and see approach when evaluating a prospect. But alas that is not the case. Then again this forum struggles with people ages.

Offside mc clownald? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I almost never say this about draft picks until at least year 2 but I don't think this guy is ever going to do anything in the NFL. At most he'll be a special teams guy who gets a gadget play a few times a season. He just never looked like an NFL wr to me.

Would love to be wrong and preferably mocked for this take but I don't see it.

Kinda get the same sense.   I don’t think he can get open vs man. Having muscles alone as a wideout in the NFL isn’t going to cut it. Hope I’m wrong.

Trading a 5th rounder is moving heaven and earth?

It was a free pick (the lower of the two day-3 picks they got for trading down from 10 to 11 and drafting the same player they'd have taken at 10). 

It's right to be at a minimum discouraged that Corley can't get on the field & leapfrog Gipson who was on the field more as an undrafted rookie last year than Corley is as a day 2 pick they had graded as the ~40th best prospect in the draft (almost another full round earlier than they took him).

We'll see what he becomes. No doubt it isn't looking good, but it's been a month. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This offense AR runs is obviously complex.  Adjusting routes on the fly, timing, etc. 

My guess?  Corley’s head is spinning. Combo of struggling to figure it out and/or thinking too much and getting “caught between minds.”  (A futbol phrase:  Needing to make a choice, missing the moment, and then choosing neither until it is too late.)

That's why Rodgers needs to get over himself.  He's screwing Wilson up and probably keeping Corley off the field with all his demands for how the WRs react and where he wants them to be rather than listening to them.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, TheAustrian said:

Offside mc clownald? 

It's truly amazing.  Many posters on Jets' fan sites think and act like they're experts, when in reality, they don't know crap.  It's like the race to beat each other with the hot takes, and who's a bust.  They almost seem to take pleasure in pronouncing Jets players to be busts. It's dumb and it's not being good fans.  Those knuckleheads know nothing about what it takes to develop talent.  It's either the player is great immediately or is a bust.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GregButtleFan said:

Did you guys watch Corley in preseason? Looked like ass. 

Dude, you are unreal.  The WCO is the most complex offense in the NFL.  Many WRs take a year or two to develop, and the WCO can take 2-3 years to learn.  On top of that Rodgers had another whole set of expectations on his WRs on where they should be, how they should run their routes, etc.  The kid is adjusting to the NFL, it's a pretty big leap from the level of competition he faced to the NFL.  Also, he's working on his route running so that he can be more than just a slot WR. 

A good OC would have a package of plays so that Corley could get experience, build his confidence, and contribute, but not that dumbass Hackett.  The impatience and ignorance of fans like you is laughable.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

That's why Rodgers needs to get over himself.  He's screwing Wilson up and probably keeping Corley off the field with all his demands for how the WRs react and where he wants them to be rather than listening to them.

The skill position players must adjust to AR.  He can throw guys open when they aren’t.  Only way this works is if they get to the right spot… 

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is one aspect of this team that doesn't concern me at the moment. It's only game 5 with Rodgers and his new OL, RBs, WRs, and TEs. I'll start to think about after a few more games. 

This is a fair point.  Rodgers and this OLine have never played together before.  Simply getting them on the same page has been the first priority, then trying to get Breece going and a rhythm between Rodgers and Garrett Wilson.  Everything else follows that including finding the right way to use the TE's, getting Mike Williams (an experienced, veteran, big target) back up to speed, and then moving on to developing rookies and making sure they get snaps.

You can't really do all of the above at once over the first few weeks.  In fact, this is somewhat validated by Rodgers' locking in on a trusted and preferred target to start the season, Allen Lazard.  It really shouldn't be a shock that Lazard was getting lots of looks, scored a couple TDs, etc.  It's all been about getting AR comfortable again.  With GW, Lazard, and Mike Williams all looking ready to play, I'm not surprised that Corley has been an afterthought to this point.  If things start to come together for this offense over the next few weeks then I'd expect Corley to see some more snaps in the second half of the year.  But this team has to be winning and has to be clicking on O before the Jets start thinking, "we really need to spend some valuable game time developing Corley with live reps and targets."  And, we all know AR has TONS of patience for bringing rookies along. 😛

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The skill position players must adjust to AR.  He can throw guys open when they aren’t.  Only way this works is if they get to the right spot… 

I disagree.  That takes too long.  Adams and Lazard were with Rodgers for years.  We saw how Rodgers played in 2022 when he didn't make adjustments for the young Packers' WRs and they didn't have the time to learn all that he wants from them.  This season is already 1/4 over.  If the Jets have any hopes of making the playoffs, Rodgers HAS to be the one to adapt.  He's the most experienced and it should be easier for him to adapt to them than them to him, plus there's only one of him vs all the WRs, TEs and RBs.  I think Rodgers expectations are making Wilson less effective, and maybe Breece too.

12 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  That takes too long.  Adams and Lazard were with Rodgers for years.  We saw how Rodgers played in 2022 when he didn't make adjustments for the young Packers' WRs and they didn't have the time to learn all that he wants from them.  This season is already 1/4 over.  If the Jets have any hopes of making the playoffs, Rodgers HAS to be the one to adapt.  He's the most experienced and it should be easier for him to adapt to them than them to him, plus there's only one of him vs all the WRs, TEs and RBs.  I think Rodgers expectations are making Wilson less effective, and maybe Breece too.

I can’t necessarily disagree with any of the above.

Moot point, though.  

Aaron Rodgers is who he is.   An exceptional passer but also elitist.   He might bend on a play here or there, but “adapt?”  No chance.  The younger WRs just have to learn faster.  Watch more film.  Ask AR the right questions.   Whatever it takes…

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

This is why rodgers and the entire s**** show needs to be fired directly into the sun 

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I can’t necessarily disagree with any of the above.

Moot point, though.  

Aaron Rodgers is who he is.   An exceptional passer but also elitist.   He might bend on a play here or there, but “adapt?”  No chance.  The younger WRs just have to learn faster.  Watch more film.  Ask AR the right questions.   Whatever it takes…

Sadly, you're probably right about Rodgers not changing.  His ego won't let him, but if he's truly smart, a real leader, and wants to go out a winner, HE will be the one to adapt and make changes.  You have to accept people where they are, and then help them to develop.  I realize that he's levels above these young WRs and it could be difficult for him to dumb down or simplify what he is trying to do, but if he truly wants to get the whole offense working smoothly and get on the same page with Wilson, then he has to try.

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

#neverforget

Dude’s raw needs to develop on this level and thy have the luxury of letting him do that slowly. That said, I have to say I think it may be time to end the Gipson experiment at WR for the time being. He’s still learning himself.

Not sure if it should be Malachi or Garrett in the slot to try to get him going, but X definitely needs to see less playing time on offense. Maybe it’s time to throw Corley in there if they are seeing positive signs in practice. They know where he’s at and if he’s ready.

Feel like they have to change something up although the OL are the ones that really need to get their sh*t together with the pre-snap penalties. Gonna have to be baby steps with MC but once he does get up to speed, look out!