5 of our 10 Draft Picks .....

Smizzy

Did not, but it's an interesting fact.

Makes sense, as they seem to look for those "leadership" qualities in their players.

yea gotta have that character.

it would be funny if they all started getting catty over who will be the team captain.haha

it would be funny if they all started getting catty over who will be the team captain.haha

LOL, I think they will be too busy deabting over who is smarter.

Kotite-I read your posts this weekend, and you seem confused as to what football "character" is. You seem to want to equate it to good behavior and citizenship, like it is outside of football. It is that to a small degree, but I think you are missing the major components.

Football character refers to being TEAM oriented. It refers to doing what is in the best interests of team success and defering to the program. It means putting the team successes in front of your own. It means being a leader not only on the field, but in the lockerroom. It means speaking up when others are not carrying their load. It means mentoring others in helping them learn assignments.

Those of some of the "character" traits this crew is looking for. Not picking up trash on the field after practice

Look.

Outstanding character is a major plus. So are other traits, like leadership skills, etc. But you still have to perform on the field, and I hope these guys will show why they belong in the NFL.

Look.

Outstanding character is a major plus. So are other traits, like leadership skills, etc. But you still have to perform on the field, and I hope these guys will show why they belong in the NFL.

MBN-The trait of football "character" and being able to perform on the field seem directly proportional.

What this regime is telling you, and telling the players-"We don't care how athletic you are, we care what kind of a student of the game you are. Athleticism helps, but trust as, and learn your responsibilities, and we will put you in position to make plays. Trust the team"

Now, they need to prove to us they can put their players in positions to succeed.

MBN-The trait of football "character" and being able to perform on the field seem directly proportional.

What this regime is telling you, and telling the players-"We don't care how athletic you are, we care what kind of a student of the game you are. Athleticism helps, but trust as, and learn your responsibilities, and we will put you in position to make plays. Trust the team"

Now, they need to prove to us they can put their players in positions to succeed.

Agreed.

BTW - How did Herm do yesterday? :Nuts: I am sure the KC fans will feel about him the same way we do now.

i couldn't agree more. if you watch any of the tangini interviews this offseason you will always see the same thing - they are looking for guys who put football first in their lives. they are basically building a team of gym rats and 'system' players. this is yet another reason that mawae is gone. they will only draft their type players and will try to avoid the TO type drama that rips a locker room apart. the jets will likely have 100% off-season attendance and will always have a full weight room during the season. it remains to be seen if this approach works but at least they have a plan and are sticking to it.

I was starting to think (after the 1st round was over) that Mangini/Tannenbaum were trying to find less-heralded guys on PURPOSE so there would be no egos from rookies in the locker room. PARTICULARLY with a young, first-time HC + GM + OC. While they have some talent, our rookies are being given the "chance" by Mangini that they wouldn't have been given as 6th-7th-rounders elsewhere, buried on the depth charts.

It's a long-shot as far as rationalizing it, but it's a possibility.

I think they were looking for guys who runout ground balls and dont trot halfway to first and veer into the dugout. That's part of character.

Captains in college need to be leaders by example, and that's part of character, too. Being an intelligent player who cuts down mental errors is part of character, too.

It's not just about keeping your nose clean and staying out of trouble. It's about being hardnosed and focused on the job- not going to victoria secret parties and sticking around college to take one dance class the whole year.

Archived